Coogs multifaceted fleet

egvti

RMS Regular
Drives
eg vti civic
That wee car looks unreal!!

I have a customer with a mk2 gti with a 20vt engine that's mental at 340bhp huge turbo, cams, forged bottom end, management system, he wants to take it out and have a 2.0 16v fitted instead so it may be for sale toward end of the summer maybe if anyone interested, on hunt for abf complete aswell or full mk3 gti 16v or ibiza to do his conversion

Gambit

RMS Regular

I have a customer with a mk2 gti with a 20vt engine that's mental at 340bhp huge turbo, cams, forged bottom end, management system, he wants to take it out and have a 2.0 16v fitted instead so it may be for sale toward end of the summer maybe if anyone interested, on hunt for abf complete aswell or full mk3 gti 16v or ibiza to do his conversion

Sounds mental @ 340bhp what has him wanting to go back to 16v?

egvti

RMS Regular
Drives
eg vti civic
Scares the **** outta him, its mental how fast it goes but would need a lsd and equal length shafts to make it a bit more manageable to drive.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI

Send me a message with details when you know what the craic is. I'm a few years off converting because so many other bits are needed to upgrade the chassis, but I would still be interested depending on what's coming with it.

And actually if anyone comes across a decent 20vt/abf engined donor for that matter I'd be interested in it.

My ideal MK2 would be lower spec and entirely standard looking externally and internally but running decent power. What that power is I've to figure out and budget for lol

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip

@Coog don’t we know someone with a mk3 gti sat doing feck all?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Honestly looks like a new car, fantastic.

Will be amazing with a 1.8T fitted! Must say I’m surprised by your choice to go down that route, would always have thought you were 1 to keep it original!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
TBH, if you want to put a 20VT engine with any sort of power, I'd be fitting a cage. A 2.0 16V with a ported head and cams would be a much more enjoyable engine to run if it is still a road car for days out.
Lovely thing either way, you've made a really nice job of it. (y)

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
TBH, if you want to put a 20VT engine with any sort of power, I'd be fitting a cage. A 2.0 16V with a ported head and cams would be a much more enjoyable engine to run if it is still a road car for days out.
Dont do a 20vt hahaha i say keep it original. Btw i did do 20vt conversion on mine

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Honestly looks like a new car, fantastic.

Will be amazing with a 1.8T fitted! Must say I’m surprised by your choice to go down that route, would always have thought you were 1 to keep it original!

Right down to the engine. The plan all along was to have a bit of fun with this engine with the carb, cam, exhaust, etc then one day convert it. 2.0 16v is another good option tbh. Not in a panic though, I know something will fall into my lap eventually.

Won't be any cages or that craic going in but there's a lot needs upgraded. It doesn't even have an anti roll bar or vented discs (or any discs on the rear for that matter) for example.

The fun in having something that totally slips under the radar and looks like something your grandad would potter to the shops in but having the ability to go rightly is what appeals to me most. Hence dealer decals, plates, OEM wheels, etc
Dont do a 20vt hahaha i say keep it original. Btw i did do 20vt conversion on mine

You're not the first to say that either. Maybe the ABF is the way to go. It felt spritely enough in my MK3 tbh
@Coog don’t we know someone with a mk3 gti sat doing feck all?

8v I think though.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
A 20vt is a far better drive than the 16v, same power but so much more torquey. We converted a Vento to ABF and the cousin wishes he'd just went 20vt. Not really much more work in it. I'd just go front and rear braces too.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I love sleepers and the fact that this looks standard but with something tasty under the bonnet would be class.

Gambit

RMS Regular
A 20vt is a far better drive than the 16v, same power but so much more torquey. We converted a Vento to ABF and the cousin wishes he'd just went 20vt. Not really much more work in it. I'd just go front and rear braces too.
Fair difference in weight between a mk2 and mk3/vento tho. A good 2.0 in a mk2 is plenty torquey...not biased one bit :p

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Right down to the engine. The plan all along was to have a bit of fun with this engine with the carb, cam, exhaust, etc then one day convert it. 2.0 16v is another good option tbh. Not in a panic though, I know something will fall into my lap eventually.

Won't be any cages or that craic going in but there's a lot needs upgraded. It doesn't even have an anti roll bar or vented discs (or any discs on the rear for that matter) for example.

The fun in having something that totally slips under the radar and looks like something your grandad would potter to the shops in but having the ability to go rightly is what appeals to me most. Hence dealer decals, plates, OEM wheels, etc

You're not the first to say that either. Maybe the ABF is the way to go. It felt spritely enough in my MK3 tbh

8v I think though.
If i was you and wanted one to keep put a 2.0tfsi engine into it!

Gambit

RMS Regular
Any Mk2’s with a 2.0T? Is it as easy? Should be plenty of them about.

They have been done across the water but generally but I'd say engine cost/ecu/electronics gubbins involved would make it very costly compared to the 1.8 20vT which can be done relatively priced as it literally will just drop in and work with existing engine mount pickup points etc

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Any Mk2’s with a 2.0T? Is it as easy? Should be plenty of them about.

Yes there's a few but it's pretty complicated. 1.8t is pretty well supported with various groups and advice available and still a good few donors available.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Last job (for now) done.

IMG_20200703_102120.jpg

That's it for now. 60 miles buzzing about today and it drove brilliantly (after the alignment lol).

The goal was to have it on the road and going by end of July, which I've managed.

IMG_20200703_140645.jpg

Now to enjoy it and think about something else to work on..... *casts eye across workshop to very very unloved & dusty MX5*

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Last job (for now) done.

View attachment 285764

That's it for now. 60 miles buzzing about today and it drove brilliantly (after the alignment lol).

The goal was to have it on the road and going by end of June, which I've managed.

View attachment 285765

Now to enjoy it and think about something else to work on..... *casts eye across workshop to very very unloved & dusty MX5*

Flashback to the early 90's there...

Great pic and great work!