Coogs multifaceted fleet

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Be fine as long as they are stored well tbh.

Not sure about that. Maybe get it onto the stand after I've the original back in and see if it's OK. Otherwise I guess a NA6 engine won't be expensive to buy anyway.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
tenor.gif

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Not sure about that. Maybe get it onto the stand after I've the original back in and see if it's OK. Otherwise I guess a NA6 engine won't be expensive to buy anyway.
I'll have a shortnose jdm na6 and 5 speed going soon. Hasn't run in a long time but cranks over freely. I'm gonna break my Eunos.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I'll have a shortnose jdm na6 and 5 speed going soon. Hasn't run in a long time but cranks over freely. I'm gonna break my Eunos.
Don't think I'd risk a short nose engine to be honest unless it was really cheap

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
It would be practically free lol.

I never had any issues with the pulley at all, I think they are a bit like rover k series head gaskets, over reporter.

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
I've a short nose engine in mine too and at 86k miles, it has absolutely no pulley wobble. Great going engine to be fair. I've changed the timing belt on it too, which apparently can cause issues afterwards. In my experience, I'd be inclined to agree with @roverspeed

Serious considering breaking mine too. On the lookout for another rust free Mk 1, but like hen's teeth unfortunately.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
It would be practically free lol.

I never had any issues with the pulley at all, I think they are a bit like rover k series head gaskets, over reporter.

Haha in that case give me a shout when you're ready. If you need a hand removing I can help... And can bring the crane.

I've a short nose engine in mine too and at 86k miles, it has absolutely no pulley wobble. Great going engine to be fair. I've changed the timing belt on it too, which apparently can cause issues afterwards. In my experience, I'd be inclined to agree with @roverspeed

Serious considering breaking mine too. On the lookout for another rust free Mk 1, but like hen's teeth unfortunately.

Getting hard to find for sure. Prices also creeping up for the good ones.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
More dismantling. That's probably as far as I need to go now. Will do coolant reroute and clutch. Pull the sump to drill it for the turbo oil return line and get the feed line ready and then fire it back in.

IMG_20201009_115317.jpg

jordan 375

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
Come a long way since I went into b&b to buy blue satin paint and was told that's what they had in the tub in the back lol we both know how that went haha great we motor

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Come a long way since I went into b&b to buy blue satin paint and was told that's what they had in the tub in the back lol we both know how that went haha great we motor

Haha seems like forever ago that!! It's lasted longer than my first marriage 😂

Turbo situation has gone somewhat awry - supplier pulled out after a lot of back & forth, so will have to keep an eye out for another set-up. In the meantime I'm going to plough on and have the reroute, clutch, oil cooler and ECU installed. Do a bit of N/A tuning and jump on a turbo kit when ones available. Pain in the arse.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Maybe the n/a gods are trying to tell you something lol. No further on with mine either mind, need to get sacked again soon so I can have a couple of months in the garage.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Maybe the n/a gods are trying to tell you something lol. No further on with mine either mind, need to get sacked again soon so I can have a couple of months in the garage.

Haha!! I set aside 3-4 hours a week to do car stuff. It's all I can manage and I always make sure I take the time. I find it great to just forget about everything else going on and I lose myself in it a bit. It's brilliant.

Anyway, I'll be ditching the MAF set-up with the new ECU and will be running IAT. Don't suppose you've seen any good cold side induction set-ups for them on your travels?

Or anyone else reading this thread have any ideas?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Haha!! I set aside 3-4 hours a week to do car stuff. It's all I can manage and I always make sure I take the time. I find it great to just forget about everything else going on and I lose myself in it a bit. It's brilliant.

Anyway, I'll be ditching the MAF set-up with the new ECU and will be running IAT. Don't suppose you've seen any good cold side induction set-ups for them on your travels?

Or anyone else reading this thread have any ideas?

Yeah, best way to do it, getting a few hours aside every week. My work has been a bit mental for the last month or so and the contract is finishing at the end of the months so I feel obliged to stick with it until I can get a bit more free time.

Mk1 has less room on the cold side because of the pop-ups, think I've seen ones that do away with the RH headlamp and use that space for a filter.
I'm doing something similar to @Gaz86 with a short 90 elbow out of the TB but moving the expansion tank to the hot side to give me a bigger enclosure. That might work on a Mk1 too?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
It was originally but the changed it a year or so ago

Any photos?

Yeah, best way to do it, getting a few hours aside every week. My work has been a bit mental for the last month or so and the contract is finishing at the end of the months so I feel obliged to stick with it until I can get a bit more free time.

Mk1 has less room on the cold side because of the pop-ups, think I've seen ones that do away with the RH headlamp and use that space for a filter.
I'm doing something similar to @Gaz86 with a short 90 elbow out of the TB but moving the expansion tank to the hot side to give me a bigger enclosure. That might work on a Mk1 too?

Didn't think about moving the expansion tank. That's a great idea.

Gaz86

RMS Regular

Fergus, I think I still have a spare heat shield in the garage if you want one? I had a few made to sell on but never got around to advertising them. Laser cut from galvaneal and uses factory holes for mounting
Any photos?

Didn't think about moving the expansion tank. That's a great idea.

Screenshot_20201010-212239__01.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, I've removed the airbox etc and looking at converting to an electric column power steering to get rid of the pump, reservoir and cooler lines. So plenty of room on the hot side for the expansion tank. :grinning:

jordan 375

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
Haha seems like forever ago that!! It's lasted longer than my first marriage 😂

Turbo situation has gone somewhat awry - supplier pulled out after a lot of back & forth, so will have to keep an eye out for another set-up. In the meantime I'm going to plough on and have the reroute, clutch, oil cooler and ECU installed. Do a bit of N/A tuning and jump on a turbo kit when ones available. Pain in the arse.
A k20 in that we motor would be something special. If I'd of kept it it's definitely what I'd of done, for the money it was you've got alot of fun from it lol

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
A k20 in that we motor would be something special. If I'd of kept it it's definitely what I'd of done, for the money it was you've got alot of fun from it lol
I called in with Momentum Motorsport a few years ago to talk about boosting my mx5. That's exactly what they said. K20 and a charger.

Budget for that, paying someone else to labour it for me... Crazy money.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, you can get into silly money very easily. This one was a laugh, he ended up getting black flagged from the first trackday he did in it because it was impossible to keep it pointing straight.