Coogs multifaceted fleet

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah, you can get into silly money very easily. This one was a laugh, he ended up getting black flagged from the first trackday he did in it because it was impossible to keep it pointing straight.

Thats hilarious lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
He had an ITB mk1 too which I think was a better drive.
Edit: Gareth Dillons mk2.5 with ITBs sounds brilliant. 11:25 for about a minute

Last edited:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Yeah, you can get into silly money very easily. This one was a laugh, he ended up getting black flagged from the first trackday he did in it because it was impossible to keep it pointing straight.

No wonder, have you seen how skinny those tyres are 😂 Probably driving like an ape too lol

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
He had an ITB mk1 too which I think was a better drive.
Edit: Gareth Dillons mk2.5 with ITBs sounds brilliant. 11:25 for about a minute

Looks brave and lively and light on its feet that! Always amazed those boys can remember the courses so well lol.

I'm sure a ITB setup is mega bucks!?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, similar to a proper turbo build tbh but with less power and torque lol. There are a few outfits doing kits, DanST seem to be getting good reviews for customer service.

Honestly, MX5's have a fairly poor rear suspension setup for grip and travel so they struggle with big power and particularly torque. I'm hoping to sort at least some of that with mine.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah, similar to a proper turbo build tbh but with less power and torque lol. There are a few outfits doing kits, DanST seem to be getting good reviews for customer service.

Honestly, MX5's have a fairly poor rear suspension setup for grip and travel so they struggle with big power and particularly torque. I'm hoping to sort at least some of that with mine.

I know all about it I crashed a MK2 twice and wrote it off and this one has had more hits than the Beatles. Both on standardish power lol.

I see theres someone selling triumph ITBs on a NA6 manifold on eBay but it looks like a pain for little benefit!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've knocked a few corners off mine too, I'd like a set of ITB's on mine for autotests and multi venues but it would be a PITA changing back to plenum for Targas.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Few bits arrived. Even if it's staying N/A for now, these should give me a bit of headroom for more savagery and will be there when the right turbo set-up does pop up.

Speeduino ECU - uses tunerstudio for the set-up (like a Megasquirt. ) Had a bit of a play about with it, added a basemap and raised the rev limiter a touch and set the cooling system. Still finding my way but seems fairly straight forward to use.

Ditching the old AFM from the intake which will allow me to move the intake to the cold side of the bay and will run a new loom to an IAT sensor at the throttle body. I'm also able to run the fans off the ECU using the secondary temp sensor which means I can ditch the old fan switch and run a coolant reroute. Added wideband as well. So now the car should be pretty much future proof.

IMG_20201013_115406.jpg

Skidnation coolant reroute also arrived and went ahead and got an oil cooler as well. The Motamec kit seems to be nice quality.

IMG_20201013_114518.jpg

Also got a more track orientated clutch. It should handle the power of the turbo and the rashness of my gear changes. Hopefully.

It's organic one side and paddle the other. Reviews seem positive so fingers crossed it does the job. In the end I decided to stick with the smaller, lighter 1600 flywheel. Whether I regret that or not in the future is to be seen but the clutch is rated to hold 300ftlbs of torque, which is 50 more than the standard rods can take. So should be OK.

IMG_20201013_114322.jpg

Timing belts, seals, various fuel and water pumps also sitting ready to rock and roll so should get this all done and dusted before the year is out :grinning:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Turned the corner so to speak. New clutch on and pretty much every oil seal. Coolant reroute on. I messed up my order so waiting on a core plug and plate to seal up the front end.

IMG_20201016_111432.jpg

Old clutch plate for comparison

IMG_20201016_113545.jpg

Front end before stripping it down

IMG_20201016_083937.jpg

And stripped with the Mazda workshop cam locking tool installed lol

IMG_20201016_112411.jpg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Even though the old one was perfect, I went ahead and stuck a new water pump in. I thought I might as well while I'm in there.

Still waiting on the core plug and plate from skidnation to seal the front of the head up, so thought it'll take 5 mins or so to fire the thermostatic plate for the oil cooler and lines in. Turned out to be a bit involved. Alternator bracket needed trimmed and it's also extended the housing out to the point that I need to remove the intake manifold brace every time I need to change the filter. Fortunately it's only two bolts. Was easy out of the car but not sure what it'll be like to do in the car. Ah well.

20201023_101331.jpg

The main coolant reroute pipe. I guess this needs trimmed to be neater, just trying it out for size.

20201023_114716.jpg

I also pulled all the small coolant hoses that feed the ICV and warm the throttle body and blocked off the valve on the inlet manifold that controls idle based on coolant temp. I should be able to control idle through the new ECU.

20201023_114728.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
A lot of people bin those intake manifold braces bud. I don't think I'll be running one on mine. As long as the manifold is bolted up good n tight at the head it should be dead on. It's just extra weight holding you back :p

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Didn't know that. Would be handy if it wasn't there as the cooler lines need to run round it too! Will have a Google, cheers.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
David Cousins doesn't use a brace on any of his cars and they probably get more abuse than any of ours 🤷🏻‍♂️ just saying

I find that hard to believe 😁

The abuse part I mean. If the car was stolen it would get an easier time than with me lol

Had a Google and quite a few run without so will whip it off. Worst case I fit the spare one if it cracks.

Jonny-FN2.GT

RMS Regular
Drives
Fn2
Yes that may be true but then everyone has different styles and tastes.

I have the brace fitted to mine as I need it to bolt the IL motorsport coolant reroute kit.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yes that may be true but then everyone has different styles and tastes.

I have the brace fitted to mine as I need it to bolt the IL motorsport coolant reroute kit.

Do you know if it can be removed and installed easily enough with the engine in mate?