Cv19 and car prices

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Just bought a car for my mum, 6 month old ex demo Polo sel, 5k miles great spec with nav dual climate dsg etc etc. Was up for 18k for some time and managed to get it for 14k. Cheapest used we could find was 16500 with more miles and slightly older. Went and looked at it before flying home and couldn't fault it. That was a 20k+ car 6 months ago.
Sounds a great deal.
But somewhere in my head I still can’t understand a ‘polo’ for 20k lol.

I know they are such different cars than they used to be lol but still In my head the following is still relevant

polos at 8k new
Fiestas are 9995 new
Minis are 11-12k new and are only allowed to be driven by daddy’s girls
Audi A1’s don’t exist yet
Clios and corsa’s are practically formula3000’s
& you only socially distanced from either the weirdo in your class or your ex

56oval

RMS Regular
Sounds a great deal.

I know they are such different cars than they used to be lol but still In my head the following is still relevant

polos at 8k new
Fiestas are 9995 new

Oh I completely agree, you do wonder to yourself how the hell did we end up in a world where a polo costs 20 grand?? Bare in mind it's now probably just as big as a mk4 golf, it's not the titch it used to be.

It is what it is. We test drove loads of cars, seat alteca, fiesta (horrible), piccanto, fiat 500 etc etc, the reality is the vw is a lot more premium and it shows, it'll also fair much better in residuals.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
How do people feel about pricing when buying private v dealer ? On say cars in the 25-30k bracket. Should there be a reasonable difference ?

I would say approx. half way between dealer price and WBAC/trade in price assuming something relatively modern and common enough. Could equate to 5-10% at most probably.

I’d say it gets more complicated on older stuff that value like 911s, etc.

56oval

RMS Regular
Sounds a great deal.

polos at 8k new
Fiestas are 9995 new

Identical to what we just bought, 6 months newer and 4k less miles.

Reactions: Ben

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
New Polos are great, wouldn't even compare them to the likes of Corsas and Fiesta.

brendy

RMS Regular
Sounds a great deal.

polos at 8k new
Fiestas are 9995 new
I know right? I bought my leon cupra new for £15500 back in the mid noughties. Ive lost 15 years somewhere!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
I know right? I bought my leon cupra new for £15500 back in the mid noughties. Ive lost 15 years somewhere!
yup!!

I actually sold mini's for Bavarian for near 4yrs and I still used to double take at the pricing lol!!

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
Oh I completely agree, you do wonder to yourself how the hell did we end up in a world where a polo costs 20 grand?? Bare in mind it's now probably just as big as a mk4 golf, it's not the titch it used to be.

It is what it is. We test drove loads of cars, seat alteca, fiesta (horrible), piccanto, fiat 500 etc etc, the reality is the vw is a lot more premium and it shows, it'll also fair much better in residuals.

what did u not like about the fiesta?

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Sounds a great deal.

polos at 8k new
Fiestas are 9995 new

What about a Fiesta for over £25k? That was the list price on my mum’s Fiesta Vignale with everyone option box ticked. Crazy money.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Don't think I've seen this one before.

Screenshot_20200903_171819.jpg

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I spotted that on a Fiat Panda and 500 TV advert recently. It must be a thing to give people the confidence to buy a car with recession talk going on.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
its about to happen too. the job losses started kicking in this week and tail end of last week and only going to increase. there's a lot more being let go that aren't making it to the news.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Heard about an M3 comp was in prentice last week, rough as balls, front discs needed replacing etc. There was a queue of lads looking it and it sold that evening. Some people aren’t that fussy lol

JKC are flat out!
Who said it was run around territory? What's finding the best example you could find got to do with it either? It's more about stating the fact a 3 year old "USED" car will generally have the odd stone chip here and there. I actually looked at the car and to say it was "rough" is an absolute joke.

you bought it didn’t you, ouch.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
You kind of disagree with yourself in the same breath. The reason you pay more from a dealer boils down to if you want the warranty they offer and if you want the piece of mind that in theory it should have passed the various checks before you buy it. A lot of people cant be bothered with the hassle of buying private and then figuring out after the small niggles or stuff that needs sorted post purchase. If you have purchased from a min dealer you should have some piece of mind that the car has been fully checked over and anything needing addressed or serviced has been carried out prior to you getting it.
You would be surprised how many dealers happily sell cars with little niggles and just wait for the buyer to bring them up, hopefully outside of the guarantee period.
When they do encounter an issue they just pop them to the warranty company, let the buyer deal with it.
Heard about an M3 comp was in prentice last week, rough as balls, front discs needed replacing etc. There was a queue of lads looking it and it sold that evening. Some people aren’t that fussy lol
What price was it though? It would all hinge on that.

May have been worth the condition trade off if it was low miles, has the service history at the right intervals and it's coming from a BMW dealer (warranty) at a good price. A good enough price to factor in some paint work etc. Let's be honest most of us wouldn't be 100% happy with a car unless it has just come out of a paint booth anyway

Prentice may have played the "we'll get that sorted for you before you drive it off" card on the brakes, does bug me though as once I notice something like that I can't unsee it

Last edited:

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
New family car on the horizon as the megane doesn't cut it for space with a 2 year old, 12 week old, dog and all the stuff that goes with them.

Is the general consensus that car prices will fall at say Oct to the start of the year? Or will they hold given that new cars could be subject to an import tax depending on Brexit terms?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I don't think anyone knows... Depends on model and type of car too... Massive discounts on some things, other things selling over the odds... Depends if you were looking new or second hand as well...

Do what is right for your family (within reason...). Not like it will be an investment anyway...

Look in England as well as NI.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Audi Belfast broke their weekly sales record a few weeks ago, 99 new and used processed.

Lovely SQ2 in there as well, didn't even know it existed.