Cv19 and car prices

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
PX prices are at all time high, we've been offering some stupidly inflated prices over the past few months just to have something on the forecourt, £1000 more than start of the year, etc, and couldn't buy ex-demo cars from manufacturer - up to £3k over book!

Now we're back to normal stock levels and a lot of people who wanted to buy a car instead of a holiday already have, I think things have now peaked, will definitely settle a bit over the next month or two, whether they dive back down to where they were before only time will tell.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
September only down 4.4% year on year for new car sales. Some interesting figures here...

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Not really a typical example, but this is now £2k less than when I last looked at their showroom page.

dsc08828a.jpg

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
My personal opinion is the arse is going to fall out of the car market. Working from home is the new normal, plus over inflated prices and cost of running. Combined with the state of the economy and ability to get finance is really going to test the current market.

I really dont see how prices hold let alone contine to rise.

But its just my view on the current situation, car dealers seem to be having record quarters, maybe it will all be grand, or it will fall apart :confounded:

-Pete-

RMS Regular
considering what happened the housing market at the time and that people were willing to perpetuate the escalation in prices, there is a lot of similarity going on right now with the car market. who wants to admit they over paid or that their car is actually worth a lot less? course not, they want to maintain the value and thats been predicated on a sustained period of price increase but its a false sense of security.

I agree with you, it can't sustain itself forever. Seeing some stuff starting to self adjust back to normal levels but they'r a tiny minority.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
I’m going to be listing my A4 this week to get as much and I can now rather than hold on for another while. In saying that, I got the wife’s Q3 for an absolute steal at end of August. Close to 6.5k saving from any listed over here! Think it was right time as the guy just wanting to get the car he had already a deposit on and take way less than it was advertised.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I was getting almost a 15% discount on a brand new M2 competition, the dealership were even going to contribute a deposit but I decided against in the end.

Now is not the time (IMO) to be financing a £50K car, especially as my car barely leaves the driveway these days. At least before the most recent lockdown I was able to head out at the weekend, but now that everything is closed again there is no point and I can't honestly see it being any better/different for 6 months or more.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
When getting a car on the mainland, for those dealerships that require a signature is there a way round that if wanting to get it delivered to avoid having to go? When my in-laws were shopping round for a new car there was no alternative according to Audi, but maybe that was just a new car? Would a main dealer release a used car without an original signature?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
When getting a car on the mainland, for those dealerships that require a signature is there a way round that if wanting to get it delivered to avoid having to go? When my in-laws were shopping round for a new car there was no alternative according to Audi, but maybe that was just a new car? Would a main dealer release a used car without an original signature?
If finance is involved, can they not sign the documents electronically? People buy cars remotely all the time nowadays do they not?

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I would be shocked if the dealership wouldn't have something in place - such as email a copy across to sign or some sort of online signature portal.
I've give them a quick call if you have selected a dealer.

Plus at the moment in England it is a click and collect service only - so I would imagine this is put in place.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I have bought several new and used on the mainland and never went for any. Problem for the dealer is the Distance Selling Regulations where without visiting it’s effectively an online purchase and thus can be returned for any reason within 14 days. Especially with a new car a dealer does not want that risk so come will insist you visit but as I say I have always been able to work around that.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I bought a pre reg 500L from Donnelly Fiat they were able to email the stuff to sign. That was a 3 years or so ago.

davyk31

RMS Regular
As above Covid should also be making the process a lot easier as not attending a dealership has become the normal.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
If finance is involved, can they not sign the documents electronically? People buy cars remotely all the time nowadays do they not?

I would be shocked if the dealership wouldn't have something in place - such as email a copy across to sign or some sort of online signature portal.
I've give them a quick call if you have selected a dealer.

Plus at the moment in England it is a click and collect service only - so I would imagine this is put in place.

I have bought several new and used on the mainland and never went for any. Problem for the dealer is the Distance Selling Regulations where without visiting it’s effectively an online purchase and thus can be returned for any reason within 14 days. Especially with a new car a dealer does not want that risk so come will insist you visit but as I say I have always been able to work around that.

That’s what I would’ve thought but certainly the 3 or 4 dealers I spoke to earlier this year for my in-laws all insisted they needed to be present to sign!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Their choice in the end, but does sound strange.

I've used gas bills for "identification" (lol 😅) and remote signed documents, etc. But there is no regulation or statutory right, all comes down to if they want the business in the end.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
More overlooked/ignored consequences. It may still be changed before January, but as things stand it will be more expensive for dealers to buy used cars from GB, and cheaper to buy used cars from EU. Does not affect private buying across either border.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
That’s what I would’ve thought but certainly the 3 or 4 dealers I spoke to earlier this year for my in-laws all insisted they needed to be present to sign!

To follow up on this, he bought the car in Stoke and any dealers he spoke to had no issue with signing electronically. I don’t really understand what the problem was when I was asking the same questions earlier in the year!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
To follow up on this, he bought the car in Stoke and any dealers he spoke to had no issue with signing electronically. I don’t really understand what the problem was when I was asking the same questions earlier in the year!
Pretty common there's alot of disparity out there for electronic signatures even though any credit card can be done electronically, among other things.
Then again, I was told I had to pay for an order in person yesterday by one prominent local builders merchants, only to be told by another one that they could take payment over the phone. bonkers.
Don't think people know what they're at in half these places.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
More overlooked/ignored consequences. It may still be changed before January, but as things stand it will be more expensive for dealers to buy used cars from GB, and cheaper to buy used cars from EU. Does not affect private buying across either border.

Ahem: Brexit, and VAT on second hand cars imported from Great Britain to Northern Ireland

it_carwasher

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche
More of a Brexit query - from wee bbc John confirming, are new cars bought in NI post 1st jan then Tariff free where they wouldn’t be in GB. The could be very fruitful for new car sales in NI. Ching ching - a lot of new cars being driven back to GB maybe? Maybe planning a sell and purchase in the new year, 2 out and 1 in.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I heard the same report and thought the same that NI dealers could be in a favourable position. For us local guys that ain’t all good news as the ability to go to England to save money on a car goes and also if local dealers can sell as many cars as they get them we can say goodbye to decent discounts.

it_carwasher

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche
That is very true, as I have utilised Carwow to get a good discount, there still may be deals. It does shake the market up a bit, interesting to see what happens.