DDE & Nico meet at the Cultra Inn 11th june

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Oh dear…..

Some grumpy cunits in here!

Do you not remember what it was like being young and going to a max power event?

This is a more modern version with more expensive cars etc. and possibly getting onto a YouTube video instead of a photo in a magazine

Banning YouTube in case a kid might see something we used to do ourselves before we all started getting older, and more sensible?! Really?!

Can you imagine if they had video content like this back in our day?

well done @NicoLeonard for having the balls to make something like this happen.

Last edited:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Oh dear…..

Some grumpy cunits in here!

Do you not remember what it was like being young and going to a max power event?

This is a more modern version with more expensive cars etc. and possibly getting onto a YouTube video instead of a photo in a magazine

Banning YouTube in case a kid might see something we used to do ourselves before we all started getting older, and more sensible?!

Can you imagine if they had video content like this back in our day?

well done @NicoLeonard for having the balls to make something like this happen.
Hard to believe there’s so much negativity towards a car event on a car forum…

The videos of the Sunday nights at Bangor and the cruises from the 90’s/00’s show the local car scene as nothing more than a bunch of reprobates in a sea of tyre smoke, dodgy paint jobs, fibreglass contraptions and general antisocial behaviour, but it was awesome!! The likes of these meets are a lot more civilised, have much a bigger following due to online presence and generally attract much higher value machinery… Where’s the harm?

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
If we are going to be serious about it I don't think anyone is saying there is particularly any harm in it, but the big difference between normal car meets and something like this is it isn't a group of equals enjoying each others cars, bit of chat, stupidity etc.

This is a few grown men being treated like gods by a load of wee lads, again not necessarily a bad thing but not really what you'd want your son to be aspiring to either I don't think, and we can see the bs where as they will think its real life.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
The real OG

IMG_2910.png

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
If we are going to be serious about it I don't think anyone is saying there is particularly any harm in it, but the big difference between normal car meets and something like this is it isn't a group of equals enjoying each others cars, bit of chat, stupidity etc.

This is a few grown men being treated like gods by a load of wee lads, again not necessarily a bad thing but not really what you'd want your son to be aspiring to either I don't think, and we can see the bs where as they will think its real life.
I kinda get this too, however the media landscape has changed quite a bit. At least it's kids into cars!
At the same time it seems to be awfully difficult for some people here to just let people enjoy things, even if they don't necessarily like them. So instead they need to be entirely negative about everything, to the point of being fairly nasty for no clear reason.

That's without getting into the absolute fawning over some members cars on here when a Ferrari or something similar is posted up (or even the supercars spotted thread where owners are referred to on first name terms 🤣).

Edited to add, I'd personally have no interest in attending something like this, but the posts have been enlightening haha.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
In fairness on the youtube @NicoLeonard car videos i feel he could represent himself in a better light and does not need to hang onto other youtubers coat tails. However in that dde video at the car meet, i was genuinely proud of how he conducted himself as an ambassador for northern ireland and the car scene here, he could not do enough for the kids and had time for everyone. Well done sir

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I don't see an issue with the actual idea of the meet, and I think its great that any car related events at all are organised, its just the absolute cringetastic manner in which these sort of videos are delivered. But that's what kids are into these days, its says more about me being a boring old fart for not being able to tolerate them. My dad probably thought I was a complete plonker for reading the likes of Max Power.

Daniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Edited to add, I'd personally have no interest in attending something like this, but the posts have been enlightening haha.

I turned up because one of the young mechanics at work said there was going to be Supercars, I didn't even know about the youtubers until I turned up & to be truthful I had to ask a boy there who they were. I just enjoyed seeing the cars & got a scoot out in the Silvia. 🤷‍♂️

I think if I had of known they were there, it still wouldn't have put me off going. I was just there for the cars anyway!

Last edited:

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
I kinda get this too, however the media landscape has changed quite a bit. At least it's kids into cars!
At the same time it seems to be awfully difficult for some people here to just let people enjoy things, even if they don't necessarily like them. So instead they need to be entirely negative about everything, to the point of being fairly nasty for no clear reason.

That's without getting into the absolute fawning over some members cars on here when a Ferrari or something similar is posted up (or even the supercars spotted thread where owners are referred to on first name terms 🤣).

Advertise it as a car meet or cars and coffee or even supercar display, get some charity buckets going and you have yourself a great event that everyone would go to and the organiser would be praised for, even if just in a random carpark and it all kicked off and the police get called it would still be thought of as a class "car culture" event, advertise it as a meet and greet and its a bit dicky is all im saying.

But each to their own, if I wasn't bored working from home I wouldn't even have noticed it was a thing, certainly doesn't offend me.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Have you got the full page snap of that? I don't remember me and what looks like the Cordoba being in a mag with Lord Rocko.

Looks like the Tigra pick-up Bangor cruise built for a TV show hosted by Carolyn Stewart.

I was chatting to her recently about it.

View attachment 437433

I scrolled through 28 pages of "old school cars" thread to try find that article and i think it was "cruise" in the search box plus Rocko's name that found it

Some cracking old school pics of cars and members in that thread mind you

AC

RMS Regular

Why not? Their life consists of driving super cars for a living and through video blogs and gaining popularity, are able to sustain that lifestyle. Fair play to them for capitalising on it - to be free and able to do what they love. There will be more like them in the future.. and fair play too.

I have a young son and who knows what will be the 'new thing' when he is a teenager, but I'll support him in whatever venture he wants to take, to navigate his own life (as long as he makes plenty of money for his dad who can then retire early of course). If he wants to be a YouTuber, go for it.

Advertise it as a car meet or cars and coffee or even supercar display, get some charity buckets going and you have yourself a great event that everyone would go to and the organiser would be praised for, even if just in a random carpark and it all kicked off and the police get called it would still be thought of as a class "car culture" event, advertise it as a meet and greet and its a bit dicky is all im saying.

But each to their own, if I wasn't bored working from home I wouldn't even have noticed it was a thing, certainly doesn't offend me.

But it wasn't a car meet or cars and coffee.. it was a meet and greet; for the fans of DDE, and from what I saw, was successful given they donated the majority of their time for taking pictures with their fans. The bonus was the lovely selection of machinery that turned up.

I thought it was class seeing so many young ones knocking about that have an interest in cars, they just so happen to be influenced by YouTube videos and social media which is the new norm for Gen Z/Alpha - not forum dwellers like some of us old fogies - horses for courses!

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Why not? Their life consists of driving super cars for a living and through video blogs and gaining popularity, are able to sustain that lifestyle. Fair play to them for capitalising on it - to be free and able to do what they love. There will be more like them in the future.. and fair play too.

I have a young son and who knows what will be the 'new thing' when he is a teenager, but I'll support him in whatever venture he wants to take, to navigate his own life (as long as he makes plenty of money for his dad who can then retire early of course). If he wants to be a YouTuber, go for it.

But it wasn't a car meet or cars and coffee.. it was a meet and greet; for the fans of DDE, and from what I saw, was successful given they donated the majority of their time for taking pictures with their fans. The bonus was the lovely selection of machinery that turned up.

I thought it was class seeing so many young ones knocking about that have an interest in cars, they just so happen to be influenced by YouTube videos and social media which is the new norm for Gen Z/Alpha - not forum dwellers like some of us old fogies - horses for courses!
We are getting deep into it now, but.

No I mean fair play to them to an extent for their success and getting people into cars and that, but wee lads are unlikely to realise these fellas and the teams they have working for them are actually working really hard to create their brand and ultimately cash in on it (nothing wrong with that), and that real life isn't as rosey as YouTubers (all influencers) makes it out to be and if you think it is, its only going to be a disappointment. People like @carmad. showing his son how to make and fix things rather than throw money at them is a far better influence in my eyes, getting people into cars but also giving them life skills rather than how to spend money and shout non-stop.

And well filming your mates pissing up against a wall and posting it online when you know children will be watching it isn't a great example to set I don't think, and its just this whole hype they create over everything its part of the YouTuber business but it's just not a healthy example in my eyes, but if they didn't none of them would watch it so is what it is to an extent.

As for meet and greet vs a car meet or the like, they would end up the same thing cause kids are going to want selfies etc but I think it would be much cooler if they got on like they were one of the community rather than a figure on a pedestal to aspire to be, call it being humble or grounded I suppose.

Seems being humble in influencer world these days is recording yourself giving someone a free car whilst you smile at the camera or repeetadly saying stay humble as you record your self spending money in someway.

Its an argument over influnencers as a whole really rather than just these guys.

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Vicious cycle, nobody is going to watch a YouTube video pouring over the intricacies of running it as a business.

Besides that, there's a whole lot of different channels around that do make and fix things, showing a condensed way of how it's done.