E46 320d Touring

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Can’t help but to look back at the car now! Totally in love with its looks now! Lol

View attachment 294524
IMG_5682.JPG

You and @Eager go to same pizza shop?
Or just placing bets?

JH86

RMS Regular
The m54 estates are getting thin on the ground tbh I fact any m54 e46 Is even if you do find one it will be some silly navy se with creame interior and 2 pedals

Even an ex drift car to use as a donor will be £700 altho the m54s have £440s worth of cats and your 320d had £140s worth of cats

Swings and round abouts, tbh I could throw a spanner in the works and let you drive my 3l 😂

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
So this morning was a good news/bad news scenario.

The guys who work for @RubberLover’s place, Ivan Kerr Tyres, looked after me well. The Beemer fought with them too as they struggled with rusted and seized bolts, but managed to get the wheels pointing the right way.

However, with the weight of the car on the wheels, it was evident the two rear tyres were in danger of blowing out at any time as there were deep cracks on the inner sidewalls.

They looked fine in the fellas yard and before I fitted them, but the cracks would only appear with weight on the wheels.

So I’ve averted a disaster thankfully. The upside is I now have a car that all four wheels are pointing the right way with two new rear tyres and drives much nicer as a result!

Oh and the obligatory pic lol

C99FD6FD-F5EA-429B-9E1F-9728CF8683CA.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
The scooby is looking good after today, the Beemer let me down for the first time since it was MOT’d. Either a fudged starter, faulty new battery or a parasitic power drain........

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Every car has niggles mate. I’d check battery first with someone who has similar one.

Have you changed anything electrical recently ?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Every car has niggles mate. I’d check battery first with someone who has similar one.

Have you changed anything electrical recently ?
I changed the headlights a couple of weeks ago. But I’ve checked, double and triple checked them out of fear of electrical fires lol. There’s no current draw when they’re switched off.
Go with a jump?
Yea it started with a jump from the wife’s car which is leading me to think it’s either a faulty battery (which was new in July) or a parasitic drain somewhere.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
@Blackie if it's anything like my dads e46 330d estate the starter was the issue.

It started ok with a jump each time but once we got the starter rebuilt it has been fine.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
@Blackie if it's anything like my dads e46 330d estate the starter was the issue.

It started ok with a jump each time but once we got the starter rebuilt it has been fine.
Aw I really hoped no one was gonna say something like that! The starters are a biaaatch to get at on these! 😭

Again, that scooby is starting to look good right now!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I checked the voltage in the battery last night and it was reading 12.5v. Went to check it this morning as as I unrolled the leads this happened...

77DCE140-5421-4D99-8D05-642E4B18BA08.jpeg

A quick run down to Halfords in the wife’s car and picked up this wee unit which feels much sturdier
C160B364-45F7-47FF-AA47-3FE9A99BD8E9.jpeg

Checked the voltage again and it was reading 12.4v, so I’m leaning towards a drain somewhere in the car. I wasn’t really in the notion or mood today though to start setting the car up to start pulling fuses to find the drain, maybe another day.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Those wee leads always snap on the cheapies. Can get replacements on eBay for cheap. Do as a spare then.

pablo

RMS Moderator
If the battery was connected overnight then seems grand
My vx was pulling 0.5A when it had a drain and it would have been dead in the morning.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
A friend of mine had one of these in 316 guise and had to disconnect the tailgate window wiring as it was causing a drain. I know it’s something you replaced recently but might be worth checking?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
A friend of mine had one of these in 316 guise and had to disconnect the tailgate window wiring as it was causing a drain. I know it’s something you replaced recently but might be worth checking?
I haven’t replaced the wiring, just repaired a few of the damaged wires. But yes, definitely worth checking.

Once I’ve a bit of time and more importantly the motivation to set it up and start pulling fuses, I should be able to narrow it down to a possible cause(S).
My vx was pulling 0.5A when it had a drain and it would have been dead in the morning.
My battery isn’t going completely dead, just enough out of it to not have enough juice to turn the starter. It clicks the solenoid into place, but that’s it. The lights don’t even dim when it does it.

It seems to drain over two days. If I use or start the car every day, it’s fine. Two days or more it seems to have issues. I had last used the car on Wednesday morning, by Saturday afternoon it wouldn’t start.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Mine is pulling 0.24amps, but after a while it drops to 0.00?
27B5ACA3-0A68-432E-8D6B-0E1F98AF516F.jpeg

Which is making it tricky to diagnose, as I’m getting to the fuse box and it’s down to zero by then. Is it the battery then?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Mine is pulling 0.24amps, but after a while it drops to 0.00?
View attachment 296204
Which is making it tricky to diagnose, as I’m getting to the fuse box and it’s down to zero by then. Is it the battery then?

Probably about right, no? All the interior lights on or systems priming before realising that nothing is happening so it shuts down.