E46 320d Touring

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I’m still waiting on my other filters arriving, including the new Vortex style crank case filter. Ordered oil today from ECP, making use of their latest sale, but expecting a day or twos wait, it arrived less than an hour after ordering!

JUST WISH THE FILTERS WOULD HURRY UP!! Lol.

Did a test fit of the TD Tuning box that I bought recently from @vtrman and it seemed to work ok, though I’ve yet to take a proper drive with it fitted, however I want to wait until after I’ve it serviced so that I can see if there’s any difference in performance with a good service and then see the difference afterwards with the tuning box.

I’ve the tailgate partially stripped down as well to find out why the rear wiper and washer aren’t working. Fuses are fine however I have found that the shaft on the tailgate glass is siezed, but even with the tailgate glass up the motor still isn’t turning. I’ve yet to check if there’s power to the motor.

I’ve also to strip the drivers inner quarter to see if there’s power going to the rear washer jet motor.

I jacked her up to see if I can find the source of a rattle in the exhaust system, suspecting it to be a loose heat shield, but everything is intact leadingme to believe that the rattle is inside the rear silencer itself. I’ll just turn the radio up for now lol!

Have a look at your rear strut towers, I had the most irritating rattle in the E36 and after stripping it down for racecar prep it was still there, looked behind me while driving slowly one day and noticed the washer between the nut and top of the strut was flapping about like mad.

Could be worthy of checking as it's a similar area.

Or even double check the exhaust mounts, my exhaust was flying about left to right, stopped once I cut the back box section off 😂🙈

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Youre in a bmw now boss, tacky non oem wireless are nottttt cool or acceptable 😂
Yea but the one that was in it was soooooooooo outdated! :joy: Not to mention I’ve never been cool lol
Have a look at your rear strut towers, I had the most irritating rattle in the E36 and after stripping it down for racecar prep it was still there, looked behind me while driving slowly one day and noticed the washer between the nut and top of the strut was flapping about like mad.

Could be worthy of checking as it's a similar area.

Or even double check the exhaust mounts, my exhaust was flying about left to right, stopped once I cut the back box section off 😂🙈
Aye I’m gonna replace all the mounts anyway, just to be sure lol
You must be a member of some amount of owners forums lol. Fair play.

One or two yea lol

JH86

RMS Regular
In all fairnesa what is the wrattle? I drove this yoke for weeks and it just needs a flexi and chassis heat shield trailed out to **** in fairness can't recall any wrattles

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
In all fairnesa what is the wrattle? I drove this yoke for weeks and it just needs a flexi and chassis heat shield trailed out to **** in fairness can't recall any wrattles
It’s some sort of rattle somewhere in the exhaust. Flexi could be it. Heat shields are all intact and secure front what I could see.

JH86

RMS Regular
Wratting on idle? Need all the engine mounts probs,

It pows with cats intact so needs a flexi thata town causing the reast to shake etc

Paul.

RMS Regular
@Blackie perhaps a stupid question but is it possible to fit a DAB compatible head unit that doesn't need an extra aerial stuck to the windscreen? I've been sorely tempted since DAB is all I really miss out of newer cars, but I wouldn't want it to stand out.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
@Blackie perhaps a stupid question but is it possible to fit a DAB compatible head unit that doesn't need an extra aerial stuck to the windscreen? I've been sorely tempted since DAB is all I really miss out of newer cars, but I wouldn't want it to stand out.
Yea there are other aerials available, like roof mounted ones, but a roof I’m loathed to drill a hole in the roof. There is a mast type one that you can mount inside the car, but finding somewhere with enough space (behind a panel I mean) is difficult and I’ve heard mixed reviews about their effectiveness.
Wait..... the cats are still in it^o):scream:
Yea, but I’m not sure about MOT regulations on diesels with regards to cats? I presume it’s the same as petrol where there’s a visual inspection done on cars from 2001 on? I must get a look under her again to see if the lower engine cover restricts the view of the cat....

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Selling cars I find mot is very helpful, personally I burn the tax book and use a trade plate 😂
Was it you that David got this car from then? Lol he mentioned the previous owner had been driving it on trade plates lol

Paul.

RMS Regular
Yea there are other aerials available, like roof mounted ones, but a roof I’m loathed to drill a hole in the roof. There is a mast type one that you can mount inside the car, but finding somewhere with enough space (behind a panel I mean) is difficult and I’ve heard mixed reviews about their effectiveness.

Super, cheers for that! If I ever get around to changing the stereo in my own I'll have to see if there's such a thing as a model with built-in DAB aerial.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
So I’ve done a bit of research. Seems it’s only the pre-cat that on the front pipe, so as long as I leave the secondary cat in it, she should pass MOT no problem.
Off now to eBay to look for a decat front pipe 8o|

cut it and beat it with a hammer, then while you are welding it back up keep going with the diff lol

i enjoy your car thread plus when I see an update I think bet he has changed it again lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
cut it and beat it with a hammer, then while you are welding it back up keep going with the diff lol

i enjoy your car thread plus when I see an update I think bet he has changed it again lol
I don’t have a welder...............

And thanks lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Today I’m adjusting the handbrake on the big bus
35277007-3AC1-409A-953D-9FFA0416C8F7.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I also finally agreed to do a deal with @JH86 for the MV2’s which I’m gonna wash before putting on.

9436CFFF-C18A-4D58-B4BD-179E51911F99.jpeg

It was very insightful having him round as I’ve now discovered that despite my Touring having a 5 speed gearknob, it’s actually 6 speed gearbox in it lol.

JH86

RMS Regular
Yes fs, a 2.9 330d and a 150 320d are neck and neck from the factory, then a friends 330d pulled on this car after 100mph, first I thought it had some silly petrol diff in it,

Pulled it down in to 4th trying to duke him aff a roundabout and that's when I found 6th 😂

After I realised that both cars neck and neck to 135mph as the good lord intended 😂

Car is Orignal 6 speed car just with a 5 speed nob I drove it for weeks before I realised fs always knew something wasent right just thought it had a petrol diff 😂😂

Sure **** it live and learn 😂