E46 320d Touring

pablo

RMS Moderator
missed this one Brian - very good

re HVAC relocation just ram it in the bottom slot. works fine
If going double din try to get a shallow mount double din then no worries with the heater box fouling (which it will). You can get double DINs where the top half is full depth and the bottom half is super shallow

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Nice multifunction one here for you 👀
Cheap?
missed this one Brian - very good

re HVAC relocation just ram it in the bottom slot. works fine
If going double din try to get a shallow mount double din then no worries with the heater box fouling (which it will). You can get double DINs where the top half is full depth and the bottom half is super shallow
Ah!! Good to know! And yes I have noticed some of the Dynavin and similar models that as you say are full depth at the top and shallow at the bottom, I had wondered why that was.
So you’re saying I can just remove the upper pocket to allow the hvac to be mounted there?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
aye pretty sure thats what I did. try it out. the wires reach ok
I’ve tried removing the pocket on the spare console that I got from @j44nty and yea, looks like you’re right!

6047F1ED-CC99-4401-A024-4F7B359604F4.jpeg

Happy day’s! Now to look for a good but cheap double din! Lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
The thran-head got the better of me this afternoon and I decided that I could maybe do the front arb bushes. I had measured the bar myself before ordering and it was just as well I did.

The arb fitted to this yo is the 23mm one, but someone fitted 24.6mm bushes and tried to make up the difference with insulating tape:

1D056E04-4E00-4C16-815E-F8871B2FB9D5.jpeg

Needless to say the correct 23mm bushes fit much tighter and there’s now no play in the front arb.
FF44A0A3-EBB0-449A-82DB-29DC421AF8DE.jpeg

The p-bushes will wait to another day as I need a bit of strength about me to remove and fit those and my back won’t allow that at the moment.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
you get the bushes with the metal P attached? makes like a bit easier but its a bit of a pain on the driveway
I did mate yea, stamped Monroe and all lol. They come with Allen key bolts as opposed to the standard hex head bolts though?
Yea I’m not looking forward to doing them on the roadside, hence why I’m waiting on my back to be at normal health again before attempting to replace them. Getting them off shouldn’t be to big a hassle as they’re barely hanging on, especially on the passenger side, it’s getting the new ones back on that I’m not looking forward too!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Today I was feeling brave and after I got the home schooling out of the way I started to tackle the front arm p-bushes.
464688D2-51F7-4BD3-BCB8-0C3998C88D8A.jpeg
5D0C1738-647C-4734-AEEA-D713BA6F8E00.jpeg

I managed to get the passenger side one replaced with minor difficulties, but the drivers side one has beat me.
The two bolts securing the bushing to the body feel like they’re going to snap and I have no impact gun to try and ugga-dugga them out! So I’ve given up for now. Started to strip away the multiple heat shields around the front exhaust pipe to get ready to replace it, but making dinner has stopped play for now!

pablo

RMS Moderator
Ill swing round with my ugga if you need some muscle but if you snap a bolt youre f**ked

grab my spanner at the same time

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Ill swing round with my ugga if you need some muscle but if you snap a bolt youre f**ked

grab my spanner at the same time
Yea that’s what I’m frightened off! I’m hoping the torque and impact from an impact gun will be enough to shock them free! Lol.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Looks like that's been put in wonky :worried:
Yea combination of it being cross threaded and as @pablo said it being ugga-d in is why it snapped. Pablo had kindly called round with his impact gun, he put it on a low torque setting, I stupidly kept the trigger in too long and snap! Thanks again Pablo, I appreciate the help buddy, and for that other thing!

@thefool1983 the plan basically is to soak it in wd, try and build it back up and get it out to a mate so that he can have a look and use his brains.

I imagine we’ll either try heat on it and see if we can get the remainder our, or we’ll drill it out and tap the threads again and fit a larger diameter bolt into it.

I then went back to the exhaust, the two bolts at the turbo end are the most awkward deckers to get at, got one out, trying to get the one between the turbo and the block out and the spanner slipped, in super slo-mo too, and smacked me on the bridge of the nose...

So I’ve rid up the tools and came back into the house in a huff, hence huffy face here:

75FDB47E-D2CF-4CD1-B202-4C6A2F02AFD2.jpeg

Ill bet they couldnt get it lined up and rammed it in with the bolt to pull it tight
Funny I was struggling with the other side, but my rashness went as far as using a screwdriver to pull the Bush towards the holes and put the bolts in one at a time by hand as far as I could screw them in before then putting the torque wrench on them.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Yea combination of it being cross threaded and as @pablo said it being ugga-d in is why it snapped. Pablo had kindly called round with his impact gun, he put it on a low torque setting, I stupidly kept the trigger in too long and snap! Thanks again Pablo, I appreciate the help buddy, and for that other thing!

@thefool1983 the plan basically is to soak it in wd, try and build it back up and get it out to a mate so that he can have a look and use his brains.

I imagine we’ll either try heat on it and see if we can get the remainder our, or we’ll drill it out and tap the threads again and fit a larger diameter bolt into it.

I then went back to the exhaust, the two bolts at the turbo end are the most awkward deckers to get at, got one out, trying to get the one between the turbo and the block out and the spanner slipped, in super slo-mo too, and smacked me on the bridge of the nose...

So I’ve rid up the tools and came back into the house in a huff, hence huffy face here:

View attachment 280786

Funny I was struggling with the other side, but my rashness went as far as using a screwdriver to pull the Bush towards the holes and put the bolts in one at a time by hand as far as I could screw them in before then putting the torque wrench on them.
Consider it character building lol.
Good luck with it.

And nice car BTW, much more age appropriate than the corsa!