Electricity tariffs

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think the next major tariff shift will be when the "caps" change or go. I think the government in Westminster said they want it all gone by April. Though that may still change I guess.

Beyond that it's just the usual up and down. If you've found a better deal that works for you then go for it.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Got my voucher in the post now. Any reason not to jump to Click EV tariff or have any price changes been indicated? I don’t charge a lot at home but with the current Nightshift tariff we have got into the habit of running the dishwasher and washing machine early mornings so it’s all a bit of a saving and with click at half the PowerNI rate it seems a no brainer.
I phoned Click the other day to switch from Keypad E7 with PowerNI to them. 1. they won't let you switch to E7 if you have oil or gas and 2. only certain meters they can work with, mine isn't one of them.

They do have an EV tariff but that is bill pay only, so need to contact PowerNI to get the meter changed again.

I would suggest if you have a keypad to tell them a little fib that your don't have oil or gas, though, it's not like it matters.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I phoned Click the other day to switch from Keypad E7 with PowerNI to them. 1. they won't let you switch to E7 if you have oil or gas and 2. only certain meters they can work with, mine isn't one of them.

They do have an EV tariff but that is bill pay only, so need to contact PowerNI to get the meter changed again.

I would suggest if you have a keypad to tell them a little fib that your don't have oil or gas, though, it's not like it matters.
No reason if you are on oil or gas to not let you switch ( I am on oil) but I think the issue may be that they have a shortage of dual meters (mine was secondhand from NIE) hence them saying they wont let you switch. I wonder what trading standards or the consumer council would make of that?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
When I spoke with Power NI....there was no issue to change to an E7 tariff, other than his concerns about leaving stuff turned on at night that may be a fire risk, and that saying unless I was to use more than 1/3 of electric at night, it would not be worthwhile.

He said the meter would have to be changed, but that's obvious.

To state if you have oil or gas is just a nonsense.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Can’t see that statistic of using 1/3 at night being the break even point. The standing charge is very low and night tariff is less than 10p compared to something like 27p day. Almost any usage at night seems to make it worthwhile I reckon.

Ghost

RMS Regular
Can’t see that statistic of using 1/3 at night being the break even point. The standing charge is very low and night tariff is less than 10p compared to something like 27p day. Almost any usage at night seems to make it worthwhile I reckon.
4.5p to be exact.

My hot tub heats at night mostly. I'm saving at least £60/70 a month at present.

Dishwasher goes on at night, washing machine(no tumble dryer)

We charge the hoover, and other rechargeable appliances. Work smart, save lots.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Yep the 4.5p rate is with Click but I was replying to a comment about PowerNI where the rate is higher. Going with Click makes it even more of a no brainer.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
No reason if you are on oil or gas to not let you switch ( I am on oil) but I think the issue may be that they have a shortage of dual meters (mine was secondhand from NIE) hence them saying they wont let you switch. I wonder what trading standards or the consumer council would make of that?
I think it may just be their policy as I am already on E7 with Power NI, however I have a meter with 4 different tariffs R1 - R4, I think they (Click) can only work with 3 tariff meters.

If I got the meter changed to something they can work with I'd simply tell them I have heat pump.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I think it may just be their policy as I am already on E7 with Power NI, however I have a meter with 4 different tariffs R1 - R4, I think they (Click) can only work with 3 tariff meters.

If I got the meter changed to something they can work with I'd simply tell them I have heat pump.

It's up to them to get it changed, not you.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
With the solar system and batteries 68% of the grid electric we have purchased over the last year has come from E7 cheap overnight rate.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Yes, but your supplier whoever they are will arrange it.
Pretty sure I contacted PowerNI about my meter when I got solar, to get an export meter setup, I was directed to call NIE directly. Luckily my meter was compatible and NIE just checked it over and resealed it

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Regarding the EBSS, got our letter in, the ID mentioned in part 2, utility bill etc, can this be on a phone also?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't know to be honest. You could always print it out at home before?

It's a ridiculous thing to ask for in 2023... Most of us don't get paper bills any more... And not like it would be hard for someone to make one up at home in a couple of minutes if they wanted to... They did ask for it, but they barely glanced at it...

Reactions: dub

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Regarding the EBSS, got our letter in, the ID mentioned in part 2, utility bill etc, can this be on a phone also?
When I claimed mine I just took the letter and they looked at my drivers licence and i put my debit card into the machine and that was that. I had a pdf bank statement ready and asked if he wanted to see it he said no.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon

To clarify this, just nipped out & got ours. Top up card, letter, bank statement on phone & debit card. Smooth process tbh. Longest part was the eejit holding up the queue out for their morning natter.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Let the new supplier change it ?
The potential new supplier can't request NIE to change it as PowerNI have control of it at my property as my supplier. I can't change to someone first and then ask them to arrange it gets changed as since the meter is not one they can work with, so my only choice is to get PowerNI to get NIE to swap it out and then jump ship.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
I got an email off sse today, significant price change.

Screenshot_20230301_152226_Gmail.jpg

I had topped up last year and held it at 17p until a few weeks ago, im now paying about 24p.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It will go up across the board in April when the current support scheme gets pulled back. More so for heating gas.

Though there has been noise about extending at current levels as gas prices have dropped and the scheme costs less.

I think it should just be dropped completely and replaced with something much more targeted to those that actually need it. All it does now is artificially inflate prices and enrich energy company shareholders.

But it's an easy vote winner I guess 😇

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I got an email off sse today, significant price change.

View attachment 389975

I had topped up last year and held it at 17p until a few weeks ago, im now paying about 24p.
Isn't that 2 completely different tariffs though or am I reading that wrong? The SSE site shows the 37.93p rate for the 10.5% product still for new customers for year one. Have you just gone past your first year then?

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Isn't that 2 completely different tariffs though or am I reading that wrong? The SSE site shows the 37.93p rate for the 10.5% product still for new customers for year one. Have you just gone past your first year then?

Yes, I'm just at the end of the 10.5 deal now,
I'll check if there's anyone else doing a deal and