Electricity tariffs

Bryan

RMS Regular
What is the best supplier for EVs at the minute? I see Power NI and Click are the only ones really advertising a specific tariff. What is the standing charge all about?

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
What is the best supplier for EVs at the minute? I see Power NI and Click are the only ones really advertising a specific tariff. What is the standing charge all about?
Standing charge is just a daily fee.

Best for EV will be whoever is cheapest and I think that is Click.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Keypad users, Who are you with currently?

Is PowerNI the cheapest at the moment?. Had a quick look and they seem cheaper than Click mentioned above.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
PowerNI can f*ck right off. Time to switch.
20230802_105145.jpg

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Change to someone like Click, monthly bill and you provide the meter readings so it’s always right not estimated.
I might have a referral code maybe.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Just had a look, in July 21 our bill for the quarter was £148, pretty much the same amount of units used in the July 23 bill £343. Ridiculous.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Just had a look, in July 21 our bill for the quarter was £148, pretty much the same amount of units used in the July 23 bill £343. Ridiculous.

SSE just changed our direct debit from £93/month to £155/month so they are getting the boot too

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Never liked that DD thing where they set the level. Better to be in control of that yourself and then you know it’s right.
Also worth looking at the day/night EV tariffs even if you don’t have an EV. The night saving is significant if you can organise yourself to run washing machine, dishwasher etc in the right hours. Currently the tariff runs to 9.00am so we stick all the appliances on when we get up at 7.00. In our last bill we were pretty much 50:50 night and day use.

carson555

RMS Regular
Never liked that DD thing where they set the level. Better to be in control of that yourself and then you know it’s right.
Also worth looking at the day/night EV tariffs even if you don’t have an EV. The night saving is significant if you can organise yourself to run washing machine, dishwasher etc in the right hours. Currently the tariff runs to 9.00am so we stick all the appliances on when we get up at 7.00. In our last bill we were pretty much 50:50 night and day use.

100%, just submit monthly meter reads and pay via DD upon receipt of invoice.

Would never pay a supplier’s set monthly direct debit, racket.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul

Is there much of a saving when you factor the dearer day price and standing charge? My last quarterly bill was £444

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
We had a lot of home > work > home > hospital > home trips to do last quarter so I'm hoping it calms down to 1 x charge a week territory.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
The day rate is hardly much dearer compared to the standard tariffs and the standing charge is minimal. The unit charge for night is a lot less so it’s a saving if someone can use things at the right times

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I think Mrs Rocko is running a Chinese laundry the amount of times she has the tumble drier going.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Get it running at night time. 15p per unit compared to something like 35p.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
The night/day tariff makes quite a difference if you can make use of some of the bigger draws in the early am i.e. washing machine & dishwasher.

With solar it’s hard to compare across others but our most recent bill was £166 for two months (March/April).

At that stage we would’ve had the washing machine on twice a day, every day, with an additional cleaning cycle (elderly/disabled dog) on top. We wouldn’t tend to use the tumble dryer unless it’s winter.

In the summer months the solar usage is around 50:50, generated & used : imported. But that’s skewed with EV charging overnight. March/April would’ve been a good bit less than 50:50.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Didn't actually thing of the EV tariffs as we didn't actually have an EV but I will take a look.

BurningSmell

RMS Regular
Does anyone know if price rises/drops occur at certain times of the year?

12 month ended with SSE in July and I’m now paying almost 38p kWh. Click are 10p cheaper. I’ve only ever used PowerNI until about 4 years ago when I moved to SSE.

Is there no actual difference when you change as it’s all supplied by NIE? Heard bad stories of the smaller companies like budget/click but that was years ago when they just joined the market.

Also the standing charge, that’s say 35-45p a day before you even use any electricity, so say up to £15 a month, on top of usage. Consumer council has me saving over £500 a year and wondering is that including the standing charges?

Sorry for all the questions, any advice welcome!

Last edited:

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
I joined Click about 6 months ago and it’s been totally fine. There is no fixed contract so it’s free to leave if the prices became uncompetitive.

ilovequo

RMS Regular
I was Airtricity for 4 years, then Budget for 6 months, and just changed to Click.
Budget billing is pants imo, the app is rubbish and they won’t post out invoices. Taking an age to refund the few hundred credit I have on account also…

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Just had my annual statement for Power NI (keypad) £602. 3 bed semi, 2 adults, 2 kids

Last edited:

BurningSmell

RMS Regular
I’m probably between Click and PowerNI after checking through. Click just under 26p and PowerNI just under 30p but no standing charge

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Does anyone know if price rises/drops occur at certain times of the year?

12 month ended with SSE in July and I’m now paying almost 38p kWh. Click are 10p cheaper. I’ve only ever used PowerNI until about 4 years ago when I moved to SSE.

Is there no actual difference when you change as it’s all supplied by NIE? Heard bad stories of the smaller companies like budget/click but that was years ago when they just joined the market.

Also the standing charge, that’s say 35-45p a day before you even use any electricity, so say up to £15 a month, on top of usage. Consumer council has me saving over £500 a year and wondering is that including the standing charges?

Sorry for all the questions, any advice welcome!
Who is charging 35-45p a day standing charge? 10-15p is the norm.