F1 2013 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
McLaren would want to put Kevin Magnussen in a Marussia next year to get him race experience before giving him a seat with them.

problem is Max Bloody Chilton is there with his Dad's backing (Aon) & Murussia need the money.

Magnussen will get a race seat before long though. talented kid.

stevyg

RMS Regular
I think its a bit unfair to Perez if he was let go. The cars been crap all season, him and Jenson have had some great battles and Perez hasn't done terribly bad for his first season with McL. Would be a shame if he didn't have a drive next year, but I doubt that would happen considering the money he brings with him.
As for Magnussen, I have no doubts he will get into F1 but at the moment hes still a Formula Renault 3.5 driver, I think I would let him find his feet in GP2 before letting him step up to F1, the guys busting their nuts in GP2 to get a seat in F1 would be pissed if he was picked before them but we will see...

C4L

RMS Regular
I think its a bit unfair to Perez if he was let go. The cars been crap all season, him and Jenson have had some great battles and Perez hasn't done terribly bad for his first season with McL. Would be a shame if he didn't have a drive next year, but I doubt that would happen considering the money he brings with him.
As for Magnussen, I have no doubts he will get into F1 but at the moment hes still a Formula Renault 3.5 driver, I think I would let him find his feet in GP2 before letting him step up to F1, the guys busting their nuts in GP2 to get a seat in F1 would be pissed if he was picked before them but we will see...
I agree but why would he want to find his feet in gp2 before f1, FR 3.5 and GP2 are very closely matched from car performance right down to the standard of drivers, bit of a step sideways

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Stoffel Vandoorne, fellow McLaren development driver alongside Magnussen, was at the GP2 test this week at Abu Dhabi. He beat the GP2 lap-record & beat last weekends pole-time by three tenths of a second.

Kevin Magnussen beat Stoffel Vandoorne in the Formula Renault 3.5 series this year. It's nice to see some if these young kids with genuine talent rather than a load of cash pushing them up the racing ladder.

Marc.W

RMS Regular
OP
Marc.W
Drives
Lupo GTI
I wouldn't like to see Magnussen in the McLaren next year, maybe 2015 but give Perez another year and a good car, stick him in the Marussia

C4L

RMS Regular
Stoffel Vandoorne, fellow McLaren development driver alongside Magnussen, was at the GP2 test this week at Abu Dhabi. He beat the GP2 lap-record & beat last weekends pole-time by three tenths of a second.

Kevin Magnussen beat Stoffel Vandoorne in the Formula Renault 3.5 series this year. It's nice to see some if these young kids with genuine talent rather than a load of cash pushing them up the racing ladder.
how haven't they been pushed up the ladder with cash? mclaren are paying for everything now and you can guarantee its the best of the best they are driving? and to get noticed and get picked up by the likes of mcclaren/red bull they have PLENTY of money to succeed in karting/formula ford/formula renault. I know Vandoorne from karting, they spent hundreds of thousands at that, would love to know what his budget for formula renault etc is! :eek:

not that I disagree btw, it'd be great to see drivers make it on merit, think those days are long gone though :worried:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
@C4L yea those days are long gone. but it's the likes of Max Chilton that annoys me - seems a reasonable enough driver like his brother, Tom. but I don't think he's a F1 driver. At least these McLaren boys are showing real promise.

nobody is going to get far in motorsport without money now, be it F1, WRC, Touring cars or whatever. shame as a lot of talented folk are missing out.

the way of the world now.

C4L

RMS Regular
Same man, chilton does my head in.

Agreed, you can tell when someone is there through talent and money or just money. rise through the junior formula competing half competitively despite the best of stuff yet never any big wins or championships but still end up in f1... i.e chilton lol on the other hand, hamilton/hulkenburg/bianchi/riccardo etc. they had the funds but so does everyone else when u get to F3/FR 3.5/GP2 and they really looked good. Im sure the Mclaren guys will get their shot, just unsure whether they are good enough to step in and really do a better job than perez imo, saying that i think perez is a bit of an unknown, he obv excelled in the sauber on those tyres last year and thats what got him the drive, how good he really is...???

Marc.W

RMS Regular
OP
Marc.W
Drives
Lupo GTI
Understandable if true, be good to see what Valsecci can do if he gets in the car

Marc.W

RMS Regular
OP
Marc.W
Drives
Lupo GTI
Maldonado out, Massa in, Hulkenberg favourite to replace Raikonnen at Lotus

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
random fact: next year will be Massa's 1st year in non-Ferrari powered car.

think BOTTAS will beat him, big fan of the young Fin.

the Lotus seat is the one they all want though there are seats at both Sauber & Force India.

Marc.W

RMS Regular
OP
Marc.W
Drives
Lupo GTI
Rumours are Hulk to Lotus and Maldonado to Sauber, Bottas has kind of stayed under the radar this year apart from the 3rd in Canada, hard to show off what talent he has in the woeful Williams.

Still not sure if I would have Magnussen in the McLaren next year or not

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I would, in preparation for 2015 & the arrival of Honda.

he can't be that bad if McLaren are giving him serious consideration. plus they won't have to pay him big money.

wonder who McLaren's new title sponsor will be? don't think it's going to be TelMex by the look of things.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.