F1 2015: All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Not until they go back to in-season testing, so teams have a fighting chance to catch up during the season. And change the aero to make it possible to pass. And throw out these stupid "power units" for simpler and cheaper engines.

Which probably means never :grinning:

Dave..

RMS Regular
Not until they go back to in-season testing, so teams have a fighting chance to catch up during the season. And change the aero to make it possible to pass. And throw out these stupid "power units" for simpler and cheaper engines.

Which probably means never :grinning:

Agree 100%, thank goodness for having a fast forward button.

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
Need to change something major.......hasn't been since 2010 we have had a good equal fight for the Championship. Last race needs that big build up and its not going to happen this year or next.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
No surprise there, has been rumoured for quite a while.

Is it a done deal yet that they will use Ferrari engines as well?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Just noticed today.

Ayrton Senna - Entries 162, Starts 161, Wins 41
Lewis Hamilton - Entries 162, Starts 162, Wins 41.

Creepy.

Didn't watch the race due to travelling home from holiday but get the impression I didn't miss much.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Good for Grosjean, I wish him all the best next season. Wonder who the other driver will be? Rossi maybe?
Haas have been very very successful in everything they've touched, I'm not getting my hopes up but I really think they will be competitive in a short amount of time.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Rossi as second driver would be a safe bet, really the only reason why he is in the Manor now all of a sudden. American driver and all that.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Haas will hopefully mix it in the midfield next year,

Grosjean angling to replace Kimi in 2017 I'd say.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
In fairness, being able to drive a glorified automatic go-cart in circles on a private track does not necessarily mean he would be safe in the real world :p

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Think Honda's main issue is with their ERS.

Talk was that the ERS wasn't working towards the end of the long straights in Spa & Monza, leaving them around 250/300hp down on Mercedes.

Hence why Alonso referred to it as a 'GP2 engine'.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Think Honda's main issue is with their ERS.

Talk was that the ERS wasn't working towards the end of the long straights in Spa & Monza, leaving them around 250/300hp down on Mercedes.

Hence why Alonso referred to it as a 'GP2 engine'.
Yeah there ERS doesn't last on the long straights but thats just 160bhp or so.

The Honda engine still down on power by nearly/around the same amount

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Button re-signed by McLaren for 2016.

Manor switching to Mercedes engines from 2016 in a 'multi-year' deal.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
ERS does seem to be one of the main issues with the Honda unit, as the MGU-H isnt harvesting enough to keep the electrical energy going for long enough.

A new turbo and casing should allow them to rethink the MGU-H as well as the turbo so they might be able to harvest more/release more and will free up tokens to work on other parts of the Power Unit. Thats my primitive understanding of it anyway lol

Reactions: DC.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, but allegedly the issue with the ERS is because they have to run a smaller turbo due to packaging issues. They need to go down the Merc route of separating the compressor and the turbine (Merc have them either end of the engine), which apparently lets them run bigger units, which in turn means more energy recovery.

Or something like that, lol :grinning:

Either way a major re-design, nothing they can do in season. A bit like what Ferrari did for this year though, so good chance it should make a difference.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Mercs turbo design is also meant to greatly lower the intake temperature as the turbine and compressor are separated by the length of the engine. It's pretty funky looking.
Means the intercooler doesn't need to be as big either

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.