F1 2015: All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Fair shunt alright, barrier certainly doing its job, but wouldn't fancy hitting that section of barrier again, taped up with duck taped , surely the sections of barrier are interchangeable , time consuming yes, but surely necessary in case of chance of second inpact!!

Think them barriers can take a right battering, I'd say they'd have been ok.

The marshal grabbing Carlo Sainez wing was brave and pretty stupid tho. Vettel wasn't far from him

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Great race.

Mercedes will be constructors champions if/when Kimi is excluded.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Great for Perez :grinning:

Bottas ran a brilliant race and got robbed :worried:

Shame for Rosberg, never great when mechanical errors decide.

Other than that, business as usual...

Dave..

RMS Regular
Instead of watching and wasting 2 hrs of my life I just check this thread. Thank you summed up perfectly
That was the best race I have seen in years. Well done to Merc for securing the constructors championship.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
As a life long Ferrari fan that makes me sad, but as a said Ferrari fan I'm used to loosing lol.

In that case you will be pleased to know that Vettel has done an amazing job there and is now sitting second in the championship, ahead of the Merc of Rosberg (y)

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Not a Vettel fan at all, but he has done a sterling job at Ferrari, it has to be said. Credit where credit is due and all that. He has grabbed the chances he has got on the occasions Merc messed up, and the car itself has improved massively since he joined.

I think Nico will get the second spot back before the year is over, as long as there are no more DNF and he nails the starts. But he is not half the racer of Lewis or Vettel (or Ricciardo), and when he gets bogged down further down the field he takes an awful long time to get by people.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Missed the first 30mins of the BBC F1 coverage yesterday, and just seen them talking about Jenson and David's video,so decided to look it up.

Jenson Button takes on David Coulthard at Rallycross

Never knew Jenson's father raced never mind rally cross. Thought it was a great video and really seen the emotions Jenson was going through, such a gentleman that loves what he does and loves having some craic. Don't think I've ever seen/heard a bad thing said about him, definitely a good ambassador for the sport.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
So following on from the shocking off topic WEC chat.. I got an email today.. saying my tickets where cancelled.. I had lifted the phone and was about to go give off when I saw this come in..

Adam Browne WEC 2016 - Pit Walk 17/04/16 10.00 £0.00
Adam Browne WEC 2016 - Pit Walk 17/04/16 10.00 £0.00

Aww yea!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Well, a technicality at this point. Even if customer teams get the same homologated engines, that is not a guarantee of equal performance. They might not have access to all settings/modes/features. Never mind equal access to upgrades during the year.

But yes, shows a willingness from the sport to level the playing field. But they still have to convince Ferrari/Merc to supply engines. A long way to go.

I also think they really need to look at the testing and upgrade rules. Under the current scheme, there is absolutely no way Honda or Renault will ever catch up. Even if they know exactly what to do to get on par with Merc, they simply cannot do it within the rules with the "tokens", and no testing. It just cannot be done. Merc have written the rules to make sure of this.

Even Ferrari will not be able to get equal performance to Merc under the current rules. Simply cannot be done.

Not hard at all seeing Mateschitz (sp?) pulling the plug unless he gets equal performance. And F1 losing RB would be a massive blow to the sport. What they do outside the racing is priceless. Any PR event, any time F1 needs to put on a show or make an effort to attract new sponsors/teams/tracks/broadcasters/etc., RB are there. All the time. You never see any of the other teams doing this, RB are the only ones with the infra to pull off those events. And they do.

And it is impossible to see Honda/McL going anywhere beyond one more season without a competitive package, and sponsors. They must be haemorrhaging hundreds of millions already. That just cannot continue. So that is potentially McL gone too at the end of next year.

This just cannot go on. Utter madness.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
Why not just give the manufactures and unlimited budget but say they cannot produce more than x BHP using mechanical engine power and x KW/MJ (or a conversion chart to BHP for Electrical power) with unlimited changes throughout the season.

That way its down to aero. A complete re-write so all teams are starting fresh.

What to do then? Set an aero budget for the season that reduces as the season goes on and based on wins. That amount "lost" should be a % of a total amount based on what position you are finishing for example

Maximum 'out of season' budget £1,000,000 (low but its a rounded number)
Maximum 'in season' budget £100,000 (example);

Finish first place on any race? That budget gets dropped by 10k. This leaves you 90k once that's gone you are out of luck for the rest of the season. Spent all your 100k and win the first x races? Great but the rest of the teams have 100K worth of development left. Then at the end of the season it gets wiped and you start again.

IMO this would mean the guys at the back of the grid would get pushed forward as the "top" teams run out of money.

Seems simple and I'm not sure it would work.. would be interesting to see what happens if it came in to affect.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
As a life long f1 fan I now find myself watching and following moto gp even though I have no interest in bikes. It's far more exciting to watch.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
BT sport put up a video of one of this year's Moto GP races which was the closing laps involving 4th to 6th place I think. There was something like 30 overtakes in 2 laps.

I'm the same at the moment. Merc have the title sown up and Lewis Vuitton has the championship pretty much in his grasp. Even the Vettel years weren't as dull as this. I find myself watching more GT and WEC racing instead now.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I guess on the upside, the battle just behind Merc (and Vettel) can be quite intense.

Kind if where it is heading. Lewis, with Vettel close behind (Kimi and Nico are really just development drivers), and then a supporting series of random customer teams and paying drivers driving their own race.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
@adam1942, not sure if those kinds of in-season levellers will ever work in F1. The whole point with F1 has always been the freedom to develop the best car possible to get an advantage, and then use that advantage. It has always been like that, somebody gets a bright idea or does a better job than the others and runs away with it.

That will never change, it will not be a BTCC style "ballast" system to tweak performance and make sure it always goes down to the last race. The top teams would never allow it. F1 is about development as much as racing.

But the flip side of that is it only works if you allow in-season testing and development for the others to catch up and put up a challenge. Otherwise it will just end the way the season starts, because nobody can catch up. Which is where things are.

There are some levellers already though, such as everyone using the same tyres (no bespoke jobs like during the Ferrari years), and aero limits.

With the way the new engines are (and what they cost!), they really need to do the same with them. But that only works if everyone gets the same performance. Which Merc (and Ferrari) will not do.

So here we are.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Not hard at all seeing Mateschitz (sp?) pulling the plug unless he gets equal performance. And F1 losing RB would be a massive blow to the sport. What they do outside the racing is priceless. Any PR event, any time F1 needs to put on a show or make an effort to attract new sponsors/teams/tracks/broadcasters/etc., RB are there. All the time. You never see any of the other teams doing this, RB are the only ones with the infra to pull off those events. And they do.

I saw an interesting anecdote the other day when people were complaining about Red Bulls stance: Williams, Sauber and Force India are race teams, Merc, Ferrari and Mclaren are car manufacturers ..... Red Bull sell tins of fizzy mineral.

The only reason RB are in the Sport is for PR, hence their support for F1 PR campaigns. They arent experimenting with different materials to use on the suspension components of a £125k Black Series Merc or using F1 technology to put complicated compounds of brake disks on a £200k 458 ...... They are a PR machine designed to sell sugary water for £1.25/can. If you look at any sport they have involvement with, they are at the top competitively and the best at the PR aspect of the sport. Off the top of my head, in 2014 drivers/riders they sponsor won the championships in WRC, Dakar bikes, MotoGP, World MotoX etc.

If they aren't winning, participation in any event or sport is pointless, so I can completely see where they are coming from with the call for a competitive engines or they will walk away. Its cheeky, especially considering they tried to maintain their obvious advantage with blown floors when they had it, but completely understandable.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The difference is, of course, anyone can copy a blown floor or whatever. And they did.

Nobody can build their own engine to the current rules. Except Merc, who wrote the rules. Even Ferrari are struggling ffs...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Fair play to him though, as long as he keeps winning he can do/wear/cut his hair/etc. whatever/however he likes off track (y)

If we had the time and money, we would all do whatever made us happy and feck everyone else :grinning:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Point being, we don't hear about Kimi clubbing during his spare time, Vettel waterskiing or Maldonado visiting A&E after attempting some DIY again. I'm fed up of seeing motorsport news filled with him in irrelevant photos at some function he's been to. If I wanted to see him make a prat of himself socially, I'd been looking at TMZ or Eonline while I'm doing my nails.[/rant]

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.