F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The haters for the sake of hating can say what they want but it's hard to think of a safer and more fair driver than Lewis.

That's way past ridiculous and just stupid...

sam_9n

RMS Regular
as MW and DC both said, Grojsean has 0 points and Lewis has 10. let that sink in

Grosjean normally doesn’t last long enough in the race without taking himself out to get points :joy:

Below shows how easy it is to get points. Very surprised he got points I assume against Albon in Austria, thought it was deemed a racing incident?

Also the pit lane entry one in Monza is a bit of a joke too.

I think the FIA made the right decision to retract their points, considering it was the team that gave the go ahead for the practice starts to be ok.

5CA51421-637B-4487-BC90-279F8BA67F46.png

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Would be interesting to see if the 'stupid rules' comments would be being made if it was Vettel getting those (now retracted) penalty points.

I am firmly of the view that the stewards this year in particular have been making very strange and overly harsh decisions.

scub

Banned
so... doing practice starts at the end of the pit lane on a blind bend is ok
(as long as its Hamilton)
& you wonder why it's become a sad farce of the top sport it once was...... 🤦‍♂️

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
What utter ***** that was!! Rules are rules, fair enough, but it’s not like Hamilton did it on purpose. He sought permission from the team, the team told him yea work away.

It is what I is I guess, but I do agree that it was unnecessarily harsh, Verstappen even agreed as well, as did Mark Webber and DC, who both said it’s grey area regarding exactly where Hamilton performed the practice starts, eg: beyond the pit lights

So based on that, it is fair for Hamilton to say it’s not his fault, despite what the haters are saying.

Anyway, with all this in mind it was Bottas’s race to lose, given that he was handed the win! Then he had the cheek to say “To all my critics, f**k you!”. Now had he won that race on out and out merit, fine he could say that, but he didn’t, he won it because Hamilton was penalised.

The same goes for Vertsappen and his “we split the two Mercedes again” comment. Wasn’t on merit, it was based on Hamilton’s penalty.

And yea Grosjean is on zero points, the man who seemed unable to get round turn 2 today????? Wtf?!?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
even more so because of the idiots trying to justify it in some laughable way 🙄

Who is trying to justify it?

He got race penalties for it, the super licence points weren't applied in the end which is fine to be honest.

If you think the sport is only a farce now you might need to look back at the past 25 or so years at least of questionable actions and questionable stewards decsions.

The true idiots are the ones that get so wound up by one driver due to some daft social media posts and the clothes they wear to the point that they try to find anything to chip away at them, despite being at the very top end of the sport.

A rules is rules approach is a pile of crap too, loopholes are there to be found and exploited. Without stuff like that happening the advancement of the sport is stifled. Agreeably not relevant to today, but cannot have things both ways.

KevM

RMS Regular
Im getting a feeling that it’s only a matter of time before Hammy tries to claim some kind of racist agenda against him. “They’re trying to stop me” seems a bit paranoid.

If F1 are so keen on enforcing rules, it’s time they banned politics from sport. I don’t see how ‘Race’ has got anything to do with racing...

Up until all the BLM carry-on, I always considered Lewis to be a British driver. I never thought of him as a black driver. Weird!

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Well, the Spanish fans blacking up at the 2008 preseason testing with tshirts saying 'Hamiltons family' made the FIA start an antiracism campaign.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
As a somebody who wouldn’t be a fan of Hamilton the penalties today were a farce totally undeserved and he did ask the team before hand.

It’s seems to me the FIA and F1 administration is clearly worried about their product becoming stale so are throwing the book at him to spice things up.

I know Ferrari broke the rules - well no they didn’t they found a loophole but the FIA soon closed that loophole which has removed all competition, it seems the FIA may have cut off their nose to spite their face hence all the silly penalties for Hamilton.

I don’t like Hamilton but I don’t dislike the guy either. I just want to see a decent race on a Sunday.

The past 3 years have been made up of a boring Merc dominated race then a slabbering match between the anyone but Hamilton brigade vs the how far can we lodge our tongues up Hamiltons rear end brigade.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Rules are rules, yes they are stupid but all those given to hamilton have been matter of fact, has been no one to blame bar Mercedes. Seemed like he sulked the whole race following them, really expected him to get 2nd. Bottas appeared to be very emotional at the end with the criticism hes come under, I’d agree with the criticism to an extent, but felt a bit sorry for him tbh, 1st time we’ve really seen him as a person.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Bottas appeared to be very emotional at the end with the criticism hes come under, I’d agree with the criticism to an extent
The criticism still stands after yesterday’s race as he only won that race because Hamilton was penalised. It would be different if he beat Hamilton fairly and purely on driver vs driver, rather than driver vs driver with penalty.

pablo

RMS Moderator
The two ex driver commentators on channel 4 both found the penalty ridiculous which was telling. Maybe they always do that I usually watch sky but DC was particularly scathing both believing the penalty was unjustified, poorly applied (a race incident penalty for a pre race violation) and even the violation itself grey due to wooly rules.

DR penalty was open and shut. His team mate f**ked up and he went over the limits. Open and shut. He knew it so no point moaning about it.

KHI

RMS Regular
Drives
very early!
I believe we had a good race at the front ruined by the two dubious 5 second penalties Lewis received.He was already on the back foot having to start on the softs while Bottas was on the mediums.After the first pit stops without the penalty Lewis would of been trying to get 1st place back from Bottas on older tyres in the same car on a difficult overtaking circuit which would of been fun to watch.

The penalties were dished out for a pre race infringement which would usually attract a monetary fine and especially since the team advised him that it was ok and the wording from the FIA which says anywhere on the right after the pit lights as long as passing cars have room.The penalties Lewis is receiving this season remind me of how he was treated in his first few seasons,Spa 2008 springs to mind.How one of the cleanest safest drivers on the grid has 8 superlicence penalty points and Grosjean has none is just ridiculous.The likes of Leclerc seems to be able to do what he wants and receives no penalty,i'm sure Stroll was mighty peeved yesterday after being punted off by him.

Lewis is probably annoyed at his team too because if they had listened to him during qualifying he would of went straight back out on mediums after having his time deleted for going over the line on the final corner(which actually lost him time).
But his team elected to send him out later in the session which was red flagged due to Vettel's crash and so with little time left after the session restarted they opted for softs with quick heat up time to ensure he got through to Q3.
With having to stop on lap 16 for hards and Bottas on lap 26 and Verstappen on 25 for hards he had no chance for the win never mind 2nd place.
He really should of had win 91 and equalled Shumi's wins this weekend so any wonder he's pissed.

Bottas was the luckiest man of the weekend.Out qualified by his team mate by over 6/10ths on his 'favourite' track and gets the win due to a team error and dubious stewarding.

Looking forward to the next race in Nurburgring with hopefully cold wet weather.

scub

Banned
I don’t like Hamilton but I don’t dislike the guy either. I just want to see a decent race on a Sunday.

The past 3 years have been made up of a boring Merc dominated race then a slabbering match between the anyone but Hamilton brigade vs the how far can we lodge our tongues up Hamiltons rear end brigade.
pretty much sums it up 😆

pablo

RMS Moderator
We were robbed of a good hamo vs Bottas showdown imo. Bad for the sport.

I’m more upset that Bottas has pulled more of a lead on max.

as for vettel look at the crying they done when he cut a chicane, rejoined forcing Lewis to the wall and kept his place. Mental.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Or when Charles punted Lewis off the track at Monza last year and got off scot free because it created "excitement" in the championship...

I don't think there is an actual conscious conspiracy against Lewis or Mercedes, and it's certainly not personal.

But there is a concerted effort to rein in whoever is in front to create artificial "excitement". And that just happens to be Lewis and Mercedes at the moment. Anything at all anyone can find on them and they get the books thrown at them, the full tonne of bricks. It's not hard to see why Lewis might be feeling a bit sore about it. While others get away with much worse because it "adds excitement".

Lewis made that same point in later interviews once he had calmed down.

F1 is supposed to be about who is fastest in the pinnacle of motor racing. Instead it's turning into Nascar with its intermediate sprint races between interruptions and then an artificially created last lap showdown

But that said, Nascar is pretty successful as a spectator sport so maybe that's what followers actually want?

Reactions: KHI

KevM

RMS Regular
It is all getting very synthesised now. If Mercedes weren't in a league of their own, I imagine the need for 'artificial excitement' may not be as great and the outcome of rulings may be quite different. I'm not sure that's necessarily fair on Mercedes or Lewis though, but the racing would be pretty dull without the intervention.

Nascar only works in America. The rest of the world have cars that do corners :p

stevyg

RMS Regular
What could have been an interesting Russian GP for once was up front was taken away from us by an obscure penalty. Never seen that before and everyone can agree it was harsh no matter the driver, Id have done a Vettel in '16 and told the stewards to feck away aff. The stewards might be waking up beside a horses head this morning courtesy of Putin who wanted the big 91 F1 race winner celebration in mother Russia. 3rd is still a great result but that was hard for him to accept considering what could have been.
Does anyone know how Verstappen got driver of the day? They might as well cancel that, I'm a Max fan but come on...the fan-bois are just ridiculous. He didn't do anything, I can't even remember the TV being on him once during the race. What was Sainz doing hitting the wall? What a donut. Complete misjudgment. Great result for LeClerc, I thought his shunt was 50/50, he had someone up the inside and was unfortunate Stroll ended up in the wall. Home advantage for Kvyat, great quali & drive from him. A wins a win for Bottas but I agree with others, a bit embarrassing for him to make out like he won it fair & square. He should save those comments for when/if he crosses the line as a world champion.

Would be interesting to see if the 'stupid rules' comments would be being made if it was Vettel getting those (now retracted) penalty points.

I am firmly of the view that the stewards this year in particular have been making very strange and overly harsh decisions.
They changed the decision making to be more consistent. So they look back at past infringements and apply the same penalty which I agree is a fair thing to do but they can't let that be the only dictation of a penalty, they have to take it on a case by case basis. I see they are now reviewing their methods after all the kick up with Hamilton this weekend, mostly from other drivers who thought it was unfair.

Lewis now saying the they're trying to stop him with penalties.... Stop breaking the rules and you'll stop getting them. It really is that simple. Also heard him question on the radio about there that rule is in the rule book to which which the Sky commentator was able to state the specific point it was in the rules.

Also during the race Danny Ricardo got a 5 second and when he was told he simply replied "I'll try to drive faster....that ones on me". No complaints at all.

I've said it before it's this part of Hamilton personality (the it's not my fault, they're out to get me, it's someone else fault), that means quite a lot of people don't like him, including me.
It wasn't a rule from the rule book per-se, it was in the race directors notes. Some notes have specified penalties like going off the track at turn X will be a 5s penalty but this note about where to practice starts didn't have a penalty, it was left up to the stewards to determine if a penalty should be applied and 10 seconds for a pre-race infringement is the maximum penalty they can give during a race which is very harsh, plus they gave 2 penalty points which to me is rubbing salt into the wound. That's the kind of penalty they give out for causing an idiotic crash that wipes a few cars out almost kills someone. The points they later retracted because 'they reviewed the team radio to determine it was the team who told him to practice there and not the drivers fault', should they not be listening to the team radio before they dish out a penalty? I think they jumped the gun which was harsh for any driver never mind the championship leader who was also leading the race. You can't compare to DRs incident. If DR was winning the race and got a 10 second penalty that would drop him to 15th for something he done pre-race he wouldn't say "my bad", any driver would be furious. I thought Hamilton was actually pretty calm on the radio about it tbh.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
The stewards are a joke. A steward was sending messages to Finnish TV before the race start with info on exactly what the penalty would be. Question is why didn’t they give Hamilton the penalty then and instead of waiting until a few laps into the race.

Also, Leclerc pretty much pulled the exact same move on stroll causing him to crash as Hamilton did on the Albon and got away with it. Even when Leclerc said he had crashed a few races ago and had driven for 2 laps without a seatbelt nothing happened. It all stinks.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.