F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I guess people will react differently to it. Maybe that Lauda was a championship contender made it easier for him to get back in ASAP but with Romain currently having no drive for next year it’s hard to see the motivation there.

Only he will know if he wants to drive again and nobody will think anything less if he decides to call it a day.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It was scary as heck but it was also a freak accident. Nobody knows yet how the car got caught in the barrier like that. Never mind split in two.

Changes will be made as soon as the investigation is concluded. Which will be well before the next race.

As above, nobody would think less of him or anyone else if they decided to quit after that accident.

But these guys are not wired like us or they wouldn't be there. They've diced and crashed and bounced back, from carting and through all the "lower" grades. It's what they do, it's why they are there, to drive on the limit.

That was properly scary though, I don't think anyone expected a crash like that in 2020.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
is hulkenburg involved with mercedes in some way, or did i just make that up? since he was racing for RP that time?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Russel would be brilliant 😁

Don't actually know who is reserve driver at Merc? Was Occon for a while but he is at Renault now, lol.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
from F1.com:

Mercedes reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne will travel to Bahrain after Formula E testing in Valencia on Tuesday, as was previously planned. However, the team have yet to confirm who will replace Hamilton, saying they will do so in due course.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Be interesting to see George Russell in that car this weekend. Maybe even next weekend too depending on how Hamilton gets on with the virus.

KevM

RMS Regular
Perfect opportunity for Max to secure a well deserved 2nd in the Drivers. Bottas will likely secure a Pole, but Max will smoke him off the line, if it’s not raining 😆

Robert

RMS Trader
Perfect opportunity for Max to secure a well deserved 2nd in the Drivers. Bottas will likely secure a Pole, but Max will smoke him off the line, if it’s not raining 😆

The dirty side of the track definitely had a severe disadvantage at the start 1st time round though. Either that or Bottas just had a really bad start and held up the traffic behind him.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Hamilton tests positive for COVID and out for this weekend. Lucky he’d tied up the championship early lol.
Dammit, was hoping he’d get the 100th pole this year.

tbh I’m surprised more drivers haven’t got it given the travelling they do and amount of people around them.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
lets be realistic here, hamilton is still going to with with tyres that are done....

"bono, i cant smell the tyres"

Gambit

RMS Regular
Taken from sky news:

Mercedes will announce Hamilton's replacement later - their reserve drivers are former F1 pilots Stoffel Vandoorne and Esteban Gutierrez.

from F1.com:

Mercedes reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne will travel to Bahrain after Formula E testing in Valencia on Tuesday, as was previously planned. However, the team have yet to confirm who will replace Hamilton, saying they will do so in due course.

From BBC:

Mercedes have not said who will replace him but Belgian reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne - the former McLaren F1 driver - will travel to Bahrain as planned after Tuesday's Formula E test in Valencia.

Vandoorne, who raced for McLaren in 2017 and 2018, is the obvious option for Mercedes but the team are also expected to explore the possibility of using Williams driver George Russell.

The 22-year-old Briton is a Mercedes protege and is being prepared for a potential switch to the factory team in F1 at some point in the future.

As a result, Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff could be tempted by the idea of giving Russell a one-off drive - which could stretch to two races if Hamilton is not free of Covid before the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix the following weekend.

However, Russell is under contract to Williams until the end of next season and the British team would have to agree to release him temporarily before Mercedes could put him in Hamilton's car.

When Mercedes were exploring their contractual options for 2021 earlier this year, they asked Williams whether they would be prepared to release Russell for next season, to see where they stood prior to confirming Valtteri Bottas. Williams said at the time that they were not prepared to release him from his contract a year early.

Williams are last in the constructors' championship but only three points behind Haas and, as Russell is their lead driver who has comprehensively out-performed team-mate Nicholas Latifi this season, they may not be keen on releasing him.

id also like to see Russell given a chance

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The more interesting bit in that for me was that Mercedes are actively exploring swapping Bottas for Russel. I'm sure that would just be a question of money.

Might explain why Bottas has been so down of late, he hasn't come across as a happy puppy...

All speculation obviously but Russel at Merc would be brilliant :cool:

That said, I always thought Ocon was at the head of the line for a seat... Who knows, lol :joy:

Robert

RMS Trader
Hopefully Russell does get a go, but at the same time it would be a big shock for him to be thrown in at so short notice and making a balls of it could surely damage the chance of big opportunities in the future. Going from the back end of the grid to potentially the front is a lot of pressure in a car you have never driven.

stevyg

RMS Regular
I'm surprised more drivers haven't gotten it too, F1 have done a great job to keep people healthy. Thankfully the championship wasn't decided by COVID. Would be nice to see Russell in the Merc, I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to get a drive just like everyone else.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.