Ford Brainiac Required

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Suffering a little bit of stuttering with the mondeo on load or above 3.5K RPM. Now plugging a data logger in to check for the issue this week as the Engine management light is on.

Doing my normal Google search for infor I have come up with 2 things

Fuel Pump struggling to deliver enough fuel to feed the engine as the bearings inside wear away, seems reasonable with over 100K on the car

Second thing is confusing me much more and its something called an IMRC which is like a throttle valve controller jobber. Whats confusing me is that some forums say its on the St220 whilst others are adamant its only on the 2.5 ST and the Focus 170.

David Dunlop you have been summoned !!!!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Suffering a little bit of stuttering with the mondeo on load or above 3.5K RPM. Now plugging a data logger in to check for the issue this week as the Engine management light is on.

Doing my normal Google search for infor I have come up with 2 things

Fuel Pump struggling to deliver enough fuel to feed the engine as the bearings inside wear away, seems reasonable with over 100K on the car

Second thing is confusing me much more and its something called an IMRC which is like a throttle valve controller jobber. Whats confusing me is that some forums say its on the St220 whilst others are adamant its only on the 2.5 ST and the Focus 170.

David Dunlop you have been summoned !!!!

What were the exact codes that came up when plugged into the diagnostics?

Does it do it when on gas or only when driving it on petrol?

Ifs the fuel pump, dont buy it from ford, just buy a bosch one from a motorfactors. One for my old mondeo was over £600 from ford, was £120 from north downs and its exact same bosch pump.

From what ive read on the ST forum it seems common issue for the fuel pump to give bother and doing what you are describing.

My ST170 had the IMRC luckily it didnt give any bother tho i know loads people who said the arm snapped off as it was made of plastic and sh1te, you could buy a metal replacement some guy made, tho no idea if the ST mondeo has it.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Havent wacked the data jobber in yet david waiting on a mate bringing one to Brians. Changed the plugs first. Its doing it on LPG and Petrol which is then making me think its not the pump as I think im right in thinking the fuel pump isnt used when on LPG ?

What would be a symptomn of the coil pack starting to **** about ?

pablo

RMS Moderator
there is the idle control valve on the throttle body but from memory thats the only electrical connection on the inlet side. Bar the MAF.

Think youre right about the fuel pump, wont be used on gas.

try unplugging the MAF and see if helps

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Idle control valve checked by glen campbella few weeks back and is spotty dog pabbers

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Havent wacked the data jobber in yet david waiting on a mate bringing one to Brians. Changed the plugs first. Its doing it on LPG and Petrol which is then making me think its not the pump as I think im right in thinking the fuel pump isnt used when on LPG ?

What would be a symptomn of the coil pack starting to **** about ?

Yeah i dont think the fuel pump is used on gas.

Coil pack could make it do that or run like a bag of sh1t/

Could be plug leads starting to pack up too if they are original.

It would be best to get the codes read then you would have a better idea of whats going in TBH.

If your up round here i could plug the bluefin into it and it will give you the codes.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Leads under 12 months old, plugs 1 week old. Ill report back when I get hold of the data logger as the engine management light was on when I left it to my mechanic buddy.

Better description of the fault would be as follows

Stutters on acceleration 3.5-4K rpm and down on power

When at low revs and you put the pedal down you can induce the same problem and I can hear what can only be descibed like a fluttering sound, almost like you can hear the plugs all firing but there is no go ?

Weird but its either fuelling or electrical in my mind as the fuel aint burning or its not there to burn, strange though thats its on both fuelling systems and secondly it can sort itself out the more I drive it the less it does it, but only sometimes. This is the first time the management light has ever come on

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Hoses, cat or lambda then davido. Ill get my codes and report back

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Started the car to plug the data jobby in and no EML on and ran beautifully :sob:

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Yeah definitely something like that woodchop. Ill maybe replace it for good measure.

pablo

RMS Moderator
if you are going to replace it hit it with a dose of carb cleaner first. nothing to lose and may fix the problem.

pablo

RMS Moderator
remove the MAF and dose the element in cleaner. let it dry off a bit then refit and try.

only do it if you are defo going to replace it tho as it might kill it :grinning:

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
David you need to help me out as I wasnt there. If I get the car to you can you read it? would need to be a week day as you have seen where I live

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
I do have tne bluefin pabbers. Will it read historical codes like david is saying ?

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
:confounded: Pretty nervous about that sort of thing, Im ok with nuts and bolts, Ill check the manual tonight. Ill wait on my Ford Guru David D coming back to see if he can plug into my motor LOL

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
:confounded: Pretty nervous about that sort of thing, Im ok with nuts and bolts, Ill check the manual tonight. Ill wait on my Ford Guru David D coming back to see if he can plug into my motor LOL

TBH i havent tried it unless the light is on but as pablo says it should still show the codes if they havent been cleared. Tho if light has been off for enough miles it will prob wipe them.

If you have a bluefin, keep it in the car with you, next time the light is on, pull over, plug it in and go into diagnostics on it. Dont worry you wont be able to fu>k anything up, write the code down and you can go onto the bluefin website and it will tell you exactly what the code means.

I think when you plug it in, instead of pressing "Y" for bluefin you press "N" and then it gives you options for diagnostics and immobilising the car etc.

Failing that you will need to get it to someone with a proper diagnostics.

You know any RAC guys? There software if very good.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
paul I know an old ford mechanic from up your way?

he may have experience of the fault?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.