Ford Brainiac Required

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Ok im using the truck at the minute as the threat of snow keeps me in it so that I can definitely get home at nights. Ill text you when Im bringing the mondeo out to play(y)

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Suffering a little bit of stuttering with the mondeo on load or above 3.5K RPM. Now plugging a data logger in to check for the issue this week as the Engine management light is on.

Doing my normal Google search for infor I have come up with 2 things

Fuel Pump struggling to deliver enough fuel to feed the engine as the bearings inside wear away, seems reasonable with over 100K on the car

Second thing is confusing me much more and its something called an IMRC which is like a throttle valve controller jobber. Whats confusing me is that some forums say its on the St220 whilst others are adamant its only on the 2.5 ST and the Focus 170.

David Dunlop you have been summoned !!!!

My dads did this when he had it in 2004, it was the fuel pump. The car drove but it was dead. Took Ford in Bangor something like 18 days to find the problem lol

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Yeah exactly the same fault on the LPG so thats why Im thinking HT Leads, Coil Pack or MAF. Done the leads in March so I would be hoping they are spot on :confounded:, Drove perfectly back from the mates the other night before the snow and ice, since then it hasnt moved

pablo

RMS Moderator
could be coilpack then, they usually give bother when hot afaik so a short journey in the cold may mean it wont show.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Yeah Pabbers nothing majorly expensive in any of the potential components so far ! Fingers crossed LOL

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Yeah I kept getting conflicting information David so thanks for that ! Takes another potential problem out of the way !:p

According to the dude that plugged the logger in it reported a bad lead and then cleared. so that info may steer me towards another set of HT leads but I feel I should do the coil pack at the same time just to rule it out

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Yeah I kept getting conflicting information David so thanks for that ! Takes another potential problem out of the way !:p

According to the dude that plugged the logger in it reported a bad lead and then cleared. so that info may steer me towards another set of HT leads but I feel I should do the coil pack at the same time just to rule it out

Did it show up a fault code with a misfire? Could be either so i dunno how he can def say its a lead.

So if you want rule it out completely change both if you want

Tho if it showed a misfire on one cylinder and you want to mess about, change the leads over, then if its same cylinder its the coil pack and if a different one its the leads.

Could also be a dodgy spark plug, i know you replaced them not so long ago but could have been faulty from new.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
BTW you complain about the TDCi mondeos :p

None of these problems to worry about lol

Drove my old one to 150k with no engine bother, tho had other things which would happen to either petrol or diesel such as wheel bearings lol

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Yep as david says 1 Coilpack dude at the front under the weird mesh part of the Engine cover.

At least my parts are cheap unlike your coal burner :p (so far LOL)

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Yep as david says 1 Coilpack dude at the front under the weird mesh part of the Engine cover.

At least my parts are cheap unlike your coal burner :p (so far LOL)

Wouldnt speak too soon.

Tho yes if my injector pump or injectors fu>k up its not cheap haha

If your getting a new coilpack and leads might be worth trying ford parts as with more expensive items they are normally very good. I can get your a price if you want from them as im emailing him today anyway for my own stuff.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Right all I ca say is the fault hadnt appeared for 10-12 days, about 1K of driving, tonight in heavy rain and massive puddles, one of which I hit quite hard as I didnt see it and within a few miles stuttering was back and flashing ECU light which cleared in 30secs. What could be getting effected by heavy amounts of water when driving ? could my alternator be getting swamped in some way as the loom and plug position have changed with the new one ?

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
No havent ordered anything yet david. Bluefined the car this morning, Fault coded P0303, misfire cylinder 3, then gives me a list of potential causes, around 8 I think. Only one I can rule out for certain is Plugs as they are brand new. Any further advice folks, Im off all week if anyone can recommend a top ford dude to get it down to. Lets hope its not poor compression on cylinder 3 :sob:

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Oh and a David there is no undertray beneath my engine everything is exposed once you jack her up

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If I get a list of problems for a fault and am not 100% sure what it is I generally start replacing the cheapest parts first.

Personally speaking (for a misfire) I'd at least check the condition of the plugs (and that they're gapped properly, which you'll have done before you fitted anyway) first and go from there, even if they are new.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Don't rule out the plugs because they are new. Could still be a duff one. Clear the codes, changed the plug to a different cylinder and read codes again. That will rule out if its plug or not.

My bets on the coil pack or plug leads

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.