Gav525's Euro Road Trip 2019

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
A tail happy one with a 6.2 V8 in the front is bound to be fairly entertaining too im sure :laughing:

Yes of course, but I’m just saying I’m sure not too many people would pick 1 as their ideal road trip car?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Yes of course, but I’m just saying I’m sure not too many people would pick 1 as their ideal road trip car?
See I’m not convinced, sure a Porsche would be great, for about an hr ! 6 hrs into a maybe a 10 hr driving day I’d be cursing the thing lol

It’s a big topic for debate I think, probably best not to pollute Gav’s thread mind you.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
See I’m not convinced, sure a Porsche would be great, for about an hr ! 6 hrs into a maybe a 10 hr driving day I’d be cursing the thing lol

It’s a big topic for debate I think, probably best not to pollute Gav’s thread mind you.

Having never driven one, I assumed a 991 4S would be grand for a day of driving. An S8 or similar would be awesome for any great distance, but I’d say you’d want something more 911 like for the twisty mountain roads.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Having never driven one, I assumed a 991 4S would be grand for a day of driving. An S8 or similar would be awesome for any great distance, but I’d say you’d want something more 911 like for the twisty mountain roads.
And therein is the problem, it’s very hard to pick any one car to do it all....

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Lol, not a problem someone like me will ever have to worry about! We aren’t all international superstars :p

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Lol, not a problem someone like me will ever have to worry about! We aren’t all international superstars :p
An international superstar wouldn’t have such an issue as assumably they’d have a variety of vehicles I assume to cover every eventuality

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Personally I didn’t think an estate would be the best road trip car for just 2. Something like a 911 would stand out.

Lol debate away lads, always an interesting point.

Me personally, the C63 is ideal for getting to the continent in and carries plenty luggage. Brilliant fun on track as well, but then I guess a 911 would do the same, minus as much luggage. I've the drone and everything with me, plus I'm going to empty the duty free in Calais on the way home.

In all honesty, I reckon the wee Mini will have been more fun up the mountain passes, but I'll update yous on that in a few days.

Hopefully have a 911 to take away next year of all goes to plan.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Crossed the tunnel today and made it to the Ring. Long boring drive really but we cut off through the Eifel park as its a bit more scenic.

Made it to the Ring tonight and got a couple of laps in. Conscious that we've still got 3500miles to do so didn't want to break the car, but still gave it a good thrashing. The only thing was the oil temp on the first lap got real high as was driving in Sport Plus mode. Changed to manual shift so could change gears earlier and that kept temps nice and cool.
Plenty people having temp issues in the hot weather anyways.
Just love this place, could live here easy enough!
Just to add also the Pilot Sport 4S tyres are unreal. Like driving a new car! Get real sticky, and back end is real hard to unstick now. Actually felt so good in the car that the wife came out another lap with me and even said she felt safe 😂 Until I overcooked it just after the Foxhole that is lol. All good though, the new pads stopped it well.

20190729_074454.jpg

20190729_082632.jpg

20190729_101206.jpg

20190729_164651.jpg

20190729_171947.jpg

20190729_170139.jpg

20190729_182514.jpg

20190729_174421.jpg

20190729_174920.jpg

20190729_175110.jpg

Last edited:

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Enjoy the trip .. looking forward to the updates as you go. A Europe road trip is definitely on my list.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I think for what gav is doing the amg is a great car, I can assure you that will be more comfortable that a 911, they are quite a raw car from 997 back tbh! Saying that I’m planning on one next year :grinning:

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I think a wagon with a big engine is a great trip car, interested to know how much @gav525 spends on fuel as I imagine the C63 uses a similar amount to myself. Not sure he'll want to disclose the figure though as a rough estimate says it'll be dear 😂

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I’d imagine 10 tanks per 2500-3000 miles or there abouts.
On a run I know most big stuff I’ve had will easy do 300+ miles per tank, that’ll drop a lot if canning them though

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
I think a wagon with a big engine is a great trip car, interested to know how much @gav525 spends on fuel as I imagine the C63 uses a similar amount to myself. Not sure he'll want to disclose the figure though as a rough estimate says it'll be dear 😂

Keeping a fuel costs spreadsheet to make myself sad at the end of the trip lol. Well actually it’s so I make sure I get half back from the wife 😂

Mine varies from 6mpg on the track to 25mpg on a long run. Few Autobahns tomorrow so I’m sure it’ll drink some then! Not actually that bad really, think the Mini only done early 30s last year but that’s was caning it everywhere whereas the big lazy V8 sits just under 2000rpm at fast motorway speeds.

It’ll maybe be around £2k I would’ve thought by the time I’m home again

Lee

RMS Regular
I'm sure the C63 is well suited to the Nurburgring, they just start to really come alive approaching 100 mph!

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Subscribed!

I’ve done two European trips, nothing as long in terms of mileage as this, and they are brilliant! Worth every penny in terms of fuel, maintenance, hotels, etc!

Enjoy!

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Done a few Euro trips myself ... NSX, S2000 and on the motorbike. Anyone contemplating... just do it!! Easily done and nothing to be concerned about

The NSX was great at eating the miles and having fun. Was fantastic on some of passes in Switzerland. Easily drive several hours and have done.

The S was hilarious up mountain roads and general hooning. Got a bit tiring on boring stretches but easily driven. 2-300 mile a day easy enuff but would not want to do much more.

Both cars offered so much in different ways and practical enough for everything you need to take with you

Biking is a totally different experience so can't compare to car

Pics look great @gav525 ... keep em coming. So jealous

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Crossed the tunnel today and made it to the Ring. Long boring drive really but we cut off through the Eifel park as its a bit more scenic.

Made it to the Ring tonight and got a couple of laps in. Conscious that we've still got 3500miles to do so didn't want to break the car, but still gave it a good thrashing. The only thing was the oil temp on the first lap got real high as was driving in Sport Plus mode. Changed to manual shift so could change gears earlier and that kept temps nice and cool.
Plenty people having temp issues in the hot weather anyways.
Just love this place, could live here easy enough!
Just to add also the Pilot Sport 4S tyres are unreal. Like driving a new car! Get real sticky, and back end is real hard to unstick now. Actually felt so good in the car that the wife came out another lap with me and even said she felt safe 😂 Until I overcooked it just after the Foxhole that is lol. All good though, the new pads stopped it well.

View attachment 244771

View attachment 244773

View attachment 244774

View attachment 244776

View attachment 244772

View attachment 244770

View attachment 244775

View attachment 244777

View attachment 244778

View attachment 244779
A place on my bucket list of places to go. Even just to drive round at a leisurely pace would do me lol. Looks like you’re having a blast @gav525

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I’d imagine 10 tanks per 2500-3000 miles or there abouts.
On a run I know most big stuff I’ve had will easy do 300+ miles per tank, that’ll drop a lot if canning them though

Tanks per miles is a good accurate measurement there Chris 😂

My tanks about 70/75 litres 😋

Keeping a fuel costs spreadsheet to make myself sad at the end of the trip lol. Well actually it’s so I make sure I get half back from the wife 😂

Mine varies from 6mpg on the track to 25mpg on a long run. Few Autobahns tomorrow so I’m sure it’ll drink some then! Not actually that bad really, think the Mini only done early 30s last year but that’s was caning it everywhere whereas the big lazy V8 sits just under 2000rpm at fast motorway speeds.

It’ll maybe be around £2k I would’ve thought by the time I’m home again

Stop lying 😂 you'll never see that half in your lifetime!!!

Yeah think mine drops to under 10 when being caned. Really have to nurse it to get 25 though iirc.

Might pick your brain once you're home as to some of the costs, but it can wait as you're obviously on holidays lmao

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Here's a good tip for yous all, when setting out to do a 4500mile trip, leave the Nurburgring til the end. It's hard on a car 😂

Drove the 200miles to Affalterbach this morning which is the home of AMG. Noticed a light clunking at the back end when taking off from junctions and a jolt when going through the gears. My suspicion is diff or subframe mounting or bush. Squeaking noise when going over bumps also.

Luckily there's a proper Merc service centre here to have a look and fix before the mountain passes tomorrow. Under no pressure to get moving today thankfully.

20190730_133144.jpg

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Here's a good tip for yous all, when setting out to do a 4500mile trip, leave the Nurburgring til the end. It's hard on a car 😂

Drove the 200miles to Affalterbach this morning which is the home of AMG. Noticed a light clunking at the back end when taking off from junctions and a jolt when going through the gears. My suspicion is diff or subframe mounting or bush. Squeaking noise when going over bumps also.

Luckily there's a proper Merc service centre here to have a look and fix before the mountain passes tomorrow. Under no pressure to get moving today thankfully.

View attachment 244865
Maybe fix that numberplate to. 😛

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Class photo there! (y)

I'd say you're right with it being a diff bush or mounting. Hopefully a handy and not too expensive fix.

Keep us posted