Golf GTI Mk2

J-VW

RMS Regular
It looks brilliant as it sits. Eibachs would finish it off nicely and leave it at that!

I want it lol

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I give the interior a good scrub today and went through what it needed inside.

The carpet and seats came up well but the stitching on the seats needs attention as it has became loose in various areas and has seen some DIY repairs:confounded: .. Im debating whether to get it all repaired or try to source a better interior.

20130306_134203.jpg

20130306_131504.jpg

20130306_134141.jpg

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
I think that is class Cormac. Well done on getting such a fine purchase. There is definitely something about old skool hatches. Love it. This, a 1.9gti and RS2000 would be on my shopping list if in the market for a classic. Health to drive.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Looking good, it would be really hard to get a mint set of seats.
chances of getting an early interior are slim to none. With the condition yours is in, you are better off just getting it restitched

Yeah its looking that way, I was chatting to a guy who does interiors locally and he said he can repair them.

Does any of the VAG heads know if there was different shades of this same style of interior? I have seen seats with the same style but the grey seems darker? maybe it was just the pics:confounded:

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I have been busy buying bits and pieces for the Golf, I have bought various pieces of trim and a new front bumper as the one I have has a bad scuff. I also have got the tape deck going again with some head cleaner.

20130329_114432.jpg

Im currently thinking of dropping a 16v KR engine which I have found locally in but Im worried that it will lose its originality..any thoughts?

Conor

RMS Regular
I reckon if you're going for something non-original, go ABF. Can be brought up to 160-170 bhp, reliable and cheap. Mk2s go really, really well with a good going ABF.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Just stick a 2.0 bottom end on it & a kent cam, will be more than a match for any kr plus keep the originality ;) what headlinig in it like i know of a mint one sitting

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Just stick a 2.0 bottom end on it & a kent cam, will be more than a match for any kr plus keep the originality ;) what headlinig in it like i know of a mint one sitting

That could be an idea, only finding my way with VWs so dont know whats best. I like the look of a 16v in the engine bay, the 8v is an unexciting lump to look at.

The headlining is a1 thank god, plucked up the courage there now to open the sunroof the last owner told me it hasnt be opened in 20 years. It opened without a fuss and glided back, the channels were all perfect but the deflector is completely rotting at one side so will need to find of those quick.

Gambit

RMS Regular
That could be an idea, only finding my way with VWs so dont know whats best. I like the look of a 16v in the engine bay, the 8v is an unexciting lump to look at.

The headlining is a1 thank god, plucked up the courage there now to open the sunroof the last owner told me it hasnt be opened in 20 years. It opened without a fuss and glided back, the channels were all perfect but the deflector is completely rotting at one side so will need to find of those quick.

yeah 8v doesnt look like much. If you were planning to put a 16v id agree with above on going 2.0 16v, it totally transforms them. I drove a 160bhp 1.8 16v for years and thought it was a flying machine stuck 2.0 bottom end on it and 4 branch and its like night n day. Ill have it back out again this year so if you are about you can have a run in it, will help you decide engine wise!

Is it the deflector itself or the arms? Ive a spare deflector in garage somewhere i can dig out if you need it

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
That be great fella would be interested to see how it goes. I might have got sorted with another deflector but I let you know if I need one, cheers.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Gambit I got a deflector today but has some light surface rust, what would yours be like?

Also got some struts to stop the boot falling on my head and a 16v front splitter which needs a good scrub and treatment.

20130330_142733.jpg

Joy

RMS Regular
Drives
mini,mk4golf
wow this is a lovely motor ! loved the stickers in the window (y)
also think the DIY repairs aren't a bad thing gives the car character !
but fair play car is a great example and health to drive (y):grinning:

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
wow this is a lovely motor ! loved the stickers in the window (y)
also think the DIY repairs aren't a bad thing gives the car character !
but fair play car is a great example and health to drive (y):grinning:

Yeah I know what you mean about the seats but Im going to try and improve the car as much as I can.
Got a look today and it aint any better than the one in the pic, and it also has one of the spring brackets missing (n)

No bother fella cheers for looking (y)