H22 Ek Civic

civic_tom

RMS Regular
OP
civic_tom
Awesome car.

An EK Civic was my first car and I wanted to do the H22 swap at the time.

Who done the engine swap for you?

Thanks mate!(y)

The engine was swapped in by TypeTwo quite a long time ago now. Then the car sat unfinished in storage in my shed for a long time due to unforeseen circumstances meaning funds had to go elsewhere. Finally took the notion last year to take it out and get all the necessary bits and pieces sorted to get it finished and back on the road!

Last edited:

civic_tom

RMS Regular
OP
civic_tom
Perfect isn’t it. That’s exactly how they should be done.
Thats lovely, you just don't see the ek shape on the roads anymore

Thanks guys! Yeah it’s crazy (and very sad imo) how few 90’s Hondas are left on the road these days. I’d love to do a kswap into an Eg or Ek hatch at some stage, but the hardest part is even finding one decent enough to do it on!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Lovely Honda there, I've been in a few modded H22 powered cars and the engine has always impressed.

civic_tom

RMS Regular
OP
civic_tom
So picked the car up recently with the new Mfactory 4.64 final drive fitted. It’s definitely made a huge difference to how the car drives. Much more aggressive throughout the rev range and always wanting to ‘go’.

One of the gripes you hear sometimes about the H series engine is that it revs a tad lazy in comparison to the B series stuff of the same era. The best way I can describe the difference the final drive has made it is that it’s still got the torque and horsepower benefits of the H series engine, but now also rev’s like a B series.(y)

Some autobahn test footage.:cool:

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
How are first and second? I can't imagine trying to put power down in mine with a shorter final drive. I don't even need first gear.

Also, what rpm are you sitting at at 70mph?

civic_tom

RMS Regular
OP
civic_tom
How are first and second? I can't imagine trying to put power down in mine with a shorter final drive. I don't even need first gear.

Also, what rpm are you sitting at at 70mph?

Tbh I haven’t launched it or even hit it hard in 1st since getting it back. It wasn’t up to much before so will be worse now. 2nd gear rolls are fine providing its absolutely bone dry. Any dampness and it’ll break loose straight away.

70mph in 5th is 3900rpm or so, approx 400rpm higher than before.

Tbh even though it’s a shorter final drive, it’s not silly short (they make a 5.1 for this box but I’ve a feeling that would be terrible on the road) The standard item was a pretty long 4.266, so the 4.64 is only really bringing it in line with the likes of a dc2 box. It’s a nice compromise between making the car more aggressive, yet still maintaining reasonable speeds in each gear and top end etc.

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Now that is class, looks and sounds very fit, love the ratios in it, pulling like a train:cool:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Tbh I haven’t launched it or even hit it hard in 1st since getting it back. It wasn’t up to much before so will be worse now. 2nd gear rolls like in the video are fine providing its absolutely bone dry. Any dampness and it’ll break loose straight away.
Yeah, don't even bother unless it bone dry, even in the dry mine in first will break traction from any rpm the second you give it full throttle, even with 205 semi slicks. If you play with the throttle though you an get her moving well.

70mph in 5th is 3900rpm or so, approx 400rpm higher than before.
Doesnt sound too bad, don't think that much worse than mine. (y)

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Love the noise the h series makes. Very nice and looks like it shifts rightly. Be good craic on the track that

civic_tom

RMS Regular
OP
civic_tom
Doesnt sound too bad, don't think that much worse than mine. (y)

No it’s honestly not too bad at all mate. Definitely not the sort of thing you’d want to be heading up and down the M1 in every day, but for a fun car to take out for a blast now and again, the 4.64 is about spot on I think.(y)

civic_tom

RMS Regular
OP
civic_tom
What an interesting build!
all credit to you ... looks brilliant

i loved the H22 engine ... got me into Honda's in the 1st place

Thanks mate!(y) It’s a great engine for sure, I don’t think it got/gets enough recognition. Lots of potential as a genuine K series rival when swapped into these lighter chassis’.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thanks mate!(y) It’s a great engine for sure, I don’t think it got/gets enough recognition. Lots of potential as a genuine K series rival when swapped into these lighter chassis’.
Its much cooler than a K20 swap because its less common, or at least seems that way. Plus IMO it sounds better than a K20, one of the reasons I went B20 over K20.

civic_tom

RMS Regular
OP
civic_tom
Its much cooler than a K20 swap because its less common, or at least seems that way. Plus IMO it sounds better than a K20, one of the reasons I went B20 over K20.

For sure mate, there are a few H22 and H2B swaps about, but a very small amount compared to K swaps! Don’t get me wrong, I really appreciate the K platform for how ridiculously responsive they are to modifications and their silly ability to run 400bhp by just slapping a turbo on the side. But, there’s something about the raw’ness of the older B’s and H’s that make them so much fun to drive. And yeah, they sound pretty sweet too!:laughing:

civic_tom

RMS Regular
OP
civic_tom
So haven’t actually done any more work to the car since my last update, basically due to saving for the 435d I picked up last week and also the fact that I may be slightly content with the current stage it’s at for time being. Had the car out tonight for a blast though and took this snap so figured I’d throw it up!

7A614651-2221-467B-AC5C-7FF73DB46EA9.jpeg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
If you are happy with how it is then there is no point spending money on it, just maintain it and enjoy it,

civic_tom

RMS Regular
OP
civic_tom
If you are happy with how it is then there is no point spending money on it, just maintain it and enjoy it,

There are plenty of things I would like to do still, but everything that was in the ‘essential’ list has been done so far and so I guess I’m just happy to enjoy it for the time being. I would like to shoot for 260bhp at some stage though, so having the head built will be next on the list, whenever that may be.

Last edited:

amcm1

RMS Regular
Ive owned a few hondas and still have a handful but always wanted a grey ek, perfect colour for them

amcm1

RMS Regular
Have you any vti’s among your collection @amcm1

Not yet but if the right one came up for a realistic price then id snap it up. Some dreamers out there looking 3.5/4k with massive mileage and the usual 'surface rust' on the back arches.