Halfords Changing Industrial Tool Chest Design

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I’ve a few of these excellent industrial range cabinets in the garage and noticed the range was heavily reduced in store and online to the point where they are entirely sold out.

0437F5D5-1901-4884-979C-256DF17710B0.jpeg

So panic set in that their advanced/industrial range of tools was getting culled, but fear not. An entirely new range of industrial cabinets are coming in the next few weeks.

Apparently they will be larger 5ft wide units and aimed at competing with the sealey/snap on type range.

I know there’s more than a few Halfords tools fans on the site and thought it was my civic duty to keep you appraised of important tool and workshop storage news.

I bet the new ones are awesome ffs....

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Good call must phone round to see if I can get one that way!
Spoke to a kid in school who works in Halfords and sourced me a trade card about the change in these. He reckoned Connswater had 2 bottom chests yesterday. I've been leaning on him for staff discount which is better than trade.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Spoke to a kid in school who works in Halfords and sourced me a trade card about the change in these. He reckoned Connswater had 2 bottom chests yesterday. I've been leaning on him for staff discount which is better than trade.
Hopefully have another one reserved at another branch [/vague post so that no-one else get's their hands on it or end up in some sort of black friday showdown]

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
We have about 10 of these boxes in work.

Interesting to see the new ones but not good they’ll not all be the same anymore

NotKG

Banned
i opened a new one in store last year and it had a big crease down the side right through the drawer rails, as i was checking the next one, a fella was pulling the drawers out and had a bit of wood inside beating it with a hammer, saying "someone will have to buy it" ,, it probably should have been reduced but you could still see the *cough* repairs on it when i was in a week later and it was sort of stuck up against another box to hide it.
destined for some poor sod

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
i opened a new one in store last year and it had a big crease down the side right through the drawer rails, as i was checking the next one, a fella was pulling the drawers out and had a bit of wood inside beating it with a hammer, saying "someone will have to buy it" ,, it probably should have been reduced but you could still see the *cough* repairs on it when i was in a week later and it was sort of stuck up against another box to hide it.
destined for some poor sod

A couple I ordered in was damaged aswell, they put one into their bike section for Halfords’s to use. Another one they gave huge discount, it wasn’t that bad at all and going into our workshop it was going to get damaged at some point anyway lol

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
When I bought mine originally the guys were very good at lifting it out and checking it thoroughly. They have such a decent returns and warranty process that it’s not really in their interest to see it coming back in the door.

Will know tomorrow if I’ve got a unit or not. Also may or may not have splashed out on the 200 piece socket kit and drawer inserts

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Did you get the empty inserts or the filled ones?
I found it better value and more sense to buy a case with the tools we needed and split the case in two and just squeezed that into the drawer.
Glad I bought a box when I did then, because a wider one wouldn't suit us at all.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Did you get the empty inserts or the filled ones?
I found it better value and more sense to buy a case with the tools we needed and split the case in two and just squeezed that into the drawer.
Glad I bought a box when I did then, because a wider one wouldn't suit us at all.
I’ve the 200 piece socket case coming and the separate moulder inserts. It’s an extra £11 but absorbed by the trade card discount.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I kept my 200 and 150 box as complete as possible ( I've misplaced quite a few things from each)
An bought all drawer tools sets bar tin snips an hammers but i think ill get the hammer set an that should be me
A press, engine crane is next for the shed

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I have the lids taken off all the socket sets and bit sets in the drawers as I didn't think my sets would fit properly into the drawer inserts. The spanner inserts I don't think would fit my spanners.

NotKG

Banned
the skinny top of roller drawer, i have for "tiny bitz" i got 3 lided trays full of dividers in B&M at £2.50 each, and i had to stanley blad of the hinge points to get 3 in perfect size with 1" at the back which just has a bit of wood set in to keep them tight. amd free use of the drawer locks.
full of wee springs, and shaped parts that are the "im not binning that, it might be useful"

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
the skinny top of roller drawer, i have for "tiny bitz" i got 3 lided trays full of dividers in B&M at £2.50 each, and i had to stanley blad of the hinge points to get 3 in perfect size with 1" at the back which just has a bit of wood set in to keep them tight. amd free use of the drawer locks.
full of wee springs, and shaped parts that are the "im not binning that, it might be useful"
We need photos of this marvel.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
So what's new? It's just the cart.
The rest all look the same as before. Side cabinets have been available for the last year or so.
Back to £300+ is the crux of it!

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
heres one i took a few months ago, i'm not going out at 1.30am for a better one lol

View attachment 197488
the last tray to the right is larger divisions now, and has been moved to the middle. but you get the gist 8o|
I couldn't cope with that. They'd get dirt or bits of rust in them and I'd have to lift the whole tray out and clean it.
My top drawer is "wee fiddly tools & bitz" but just loose, so bits of test wire, little screwdrivers, and E46 handbrake screws. All the stuff that should be in plastic boxes like you have are, but with the lids on, stacked on the shelf, so they stay clean 8-|

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'm storing stuff like kenG has in drawers for years and it never gets dirty. Drawers and drawers of the stuff. Pushing a drawer closed is the same thing as putting a lid on a box. Only downside is it's not portable. So I keep my diy stuff and woodscrews in plastic boxes with kids so I can take it to a job. Workshop stuff I keep in roll cabs and drawers.
Gliding a big metal drawer out and making one's selection is a nice warm feeling for me.
A major life choice.