Honda S2000 Powerd Bmw E30

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Got the swirl pot an the fuel tank

005-6.jpg

006-6.jpg

Exhaust painted, fitted an welded

002-6.jpg

003-8.jpg

007-4.jpg

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Propshaft away to get lengthend too

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Noel hadden from mayobridge do you want a number for him?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Where is Mayobridge?

I know of a guy in kilrea he is likely closer to me.

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Interesting build this all the best if you enter the series. I've seen the 2 dc5's down at the track days and the railway cars they all go very very well. Dc5's sound awesome

dddrrift

RMS Regular
im sure its a lot of work, but really seems like you took a good car and ruined it to get a bucket up and running?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
im sure its a lot of work, but really seems like you took a good car and ruined it to get a bucket up and running?

LOL just the inspiration a man needs when he is ploughing £kk's into a Project!

dddrrift

RMS Regular
awk i know, i didnt mean it like that, maybe i dont understand what the end result will be, the bmw looks like a bucket of ***** and the s2k was ruined for it thats all

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
awk i know, i didnt mean it like that, maybe i dont understand what the end result will be, the bmw looks like a bucket of ***** and the s2k was ruined for it thats all

lol..bmw mite not look like much at the minute but wait to its finished then come back an tell me this(y) Thanks for your kind comments anyhow

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
personally I love this sort of project and Im enjoying watching the progress, keep up the good work !

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Out of interest, the swirl pot you are fitting... the pipework on there is that the kind of fuel piping you will be using?

I have never built something fuel injected before but i notice alot of the injected Westies have swirl pots aswell, i presume the pot is fitted to stop the car running out of fuel on a long corner?

Ill be learning all this soon when i get the V8 into the TR..

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
swirl pots basically hold fuel to make sure the engine is never starved of the funny juice, used to be a big feature on turbo engines. Pipework looks like there is room for improvement :relieved:

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Its my first experience with swirl pot an yes thats what i think its for to stop the fuel getting away from the engine, suppose you could say its just another small tank?
Maybe they do something else im not sure
No not using that piping its all getting replaced with better stuff...
Thanks for the POSITIVE comments lads:grinning:

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
swirl pots basically hold fuel to make sure the engine is never starved of the funny juice, used to be a big feature on turbo engines. Pipework looks like there is room for improvement :relieved:

You just got in front of me there, i know the pipe work is bad but another fella hand loan of the swirl pot, an thats the way it come back

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
You just got in front of me there, i know the pipe work is bad but another fella hand loan of the swirl pot, an thats the way it come back

Possibly what is required mate, i dont really know.. (y) Fuel Injection is all new to me, because ive just been used with a self regulating fuel pump at the tank and straight into the Carbs.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
You will have a low pressure pump going from the tank to the swirl pot. This will keep the swirl pot full of fuel at all times (until the tank runs out, obviously). An overflow/return line will be fitted to the top of the swirl pot to let unused/excess fuel go back to the tank. After that, you will have a high pressure pump running between the swirl pot and the fuel rail, with a return from the fuel rail to the top of the swirl pot.

Dont mind the MS Paint design, but it quickly explains the set-up you should have when done:

fuelsystemsetup.jpg

Its worth noting that the high pressure pump needs to be mounted lower than the swirl pot to ensure it is constantly full to avoid fuel starvation and ended up with a hole in a piston (more common in boosted cars). The high pressure pumps are often mounted under the boot floor with the swirl pot mounted in the boot.

Is your tank baffled or foam filled? It will need to be 1 or the other to be MSA approved, while having a tank vent running to the top of the car.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
You know your stuff Nicky(y)

I will find out about the tank,, with the swirl pot i think its going over at the passenger side behind the headlight,,,,
The cold air feed is going to be coming from the drivers side round to the filter...

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
You will have a low pressure pump going from the tank to the swirl pot. This will keep the swirl pot full of fuel at all times (until the tank runs out, obviously). An overflow/return line will be fitted to the top of the swirl pot to let unused/excess fuel go back to the tank. After that, you will have a high pressure pump running between the swirl pot and the fuel rail, with a return from the fuel rail to the top of the swirl pot.

Dont mind the MS Paint design, but it quickly explains the set-up you should have when done:

View attachment 28069

Its worth noting that the high pressure pump needs to be mounted lower than the swirl pot to ensure it is constantly full to avoid fuel starvation and ended up with a hole in a piston (more common in boosted cars). The high pressure pumps are often mounted under the boot floor with the swirl pot mounted in the boot.

Is your tank baffled or foam filled? It will need to be 1 or the other to be MSA approved, while having a tank vent running to the top of the car.

Also foam filling my tank made a huge difference to the handling in a light car, stopped the transfer of weight unsettling the car under braking and cornering (y)

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
You know your stuff Nicky(y)

I will find out about the tank,, with the swirl pot i think its going over at the passenger side behind the headlight,,,,
The cold air feed is going to be coming from the drivers side round to the filter...

I'd be concerned about the swirl pot in the front of the car, given that it would be very dangerous and highly explosive should you be in a crash on track. To be honest, I don't know if that would even pass scrutineering, for that reason, and also the fact that it gets very warm in the engine bay and warm fuel is not only dangerous, but doesn't spray/burn as well.

That would be something you would have to look at in the MSA regs, and if it's Kirkistown that your going to be looking to race at, then also confirmation from 1 of the guys that do their scrutineering as they may have requirements above and beyond minimum MSA conformities...

@ Iain - It's amazing the difference a proper tank makes to weight transfer in something so light. I've also been told that a non-baffled or foam filled tank will almost certainly cause the fuel quality to deteriorate as it gets thrown about for long periods of time, with the idea of shaking a bottle of fizzy juice and opening it repeatedly being the example used to explain the scenario. I wouldn't know how much truth or fact would be in that, but it definitely caused a second thought..

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
I am going to do away with that swirl pot an buy a proper one apparantly there isnt enough inserts/outlets on it, think thats a home made jobby:eek:
Think i will put the swirl pot in the rear beside the tank an make an aluminium firewall....
All the proper braided fuel lines are there so i dont have to buy them:grinning:
The fuel tank is quite small estimate it to hold around 25-30 litres

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Is your tank baffled or foam filled at all mate?

Here's a link to 1 I used last year, and it was fantastic quality:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorspor...CarParts_SM&hash=item2a18bc3398#ht_712wt_1110

Do you know what your going to use the car for yet? Racing, track days, drag etc? Seems to be a lot of work being put into it so far, so it's definitely worth looking into current and future rules and regs of your desired discipline, considering the majority of stuff that would have been in the BF race series wouldn't even be allowed in the pits at Kirkistown now.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.