Just found out we bought ex hire car

richie_mck

RMS Regular
The vast majority of cars that are purchased, financed or leased by the general public are rarely looked after either. Very few people actually look after their cars so setting the fact it was a rental aside for a moment, if the car is in good condition, has the relevant service history and meets your requirements while being cheaper then I wouldn't write it off.

The majority of dealers who stock cars can say all they want about sourcing good cars but realistically without knowing the previous owners no one has any clue how its been driven in the past.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
My mum has a 2010 Focus that was an ex hire car. She bought it when it was a year old and truthfully it has been the best car she has ever had, apart from normal maintenance the only thing it has need is a battery. I wouldn't worry in the slightest, about it being an ex hire car, provided you do all the normal checks that you would with any second hand car

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
as said previously if the car is in good condition etc then i would not worry ... any used car will have a ? mark on previous owners so a hire car no different. your issue is with the dealer telling you BS re ex demo car etc. Just do your usual checks on the car before finalising purchase

also re warranty etc ... if still under manufacturers warranty you should be OK when you bring it home. any other type of warranty i would be concerned about. Do your research on whatever they are including and find out before you collect the car. if in doubt remove it from your sale, get discount and then purchase your own policy with whatever savings you make.

take your issues up with the dealer and see if they can at least sweeten the bill for you

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
I'll be honest, any hire car i've had hasn't had much abuse, dont need the hassle of fighting a hire car company over potential repairs etc.
Its still under warranty, its a used car, how bad could it be? An extra vigilant test drive and thorough checks for dings/scuffs/kerbing should be sufficient, knock down the price accordingly or walk away from the deal.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
main-qimg-2ddc7edbecd22beb099a70f8f7a2db4d-c.jpg

johnm

RMS Regular
As has been said any hire car you generally look after as anything happens its out of your pocket. Its not like a courtesy car lol. I couldn't see that getting rallied about the place.
Just give it decent checks, double check with Nissan here they will honor the warranty (no reason I can think off that they wouldn't) and you should be grand.
Maybe act a bit annoyed at the dealer and see if he'll knock a bit more off it, but it wouldn't bother me if its the spec & colour you like.

jc7891

RMS Regular
You’ll probably notice a lot more fresh Mainland cars over here now. That’s how dealers get them, they are ex lease or ex rental, they come back a year later and it allows the dealers to have this fresh stock that you are after. I wouldn’t be concerned at all if it has warranty, demos are usually dearer so of it’s at the right price and the condition is okay then crack on! It’ll have been hopefully checked over by the dealer before you get it anyway.

bill

Banned
OP
bill
The deal is done was signed for on 14th we went over the car looked driven a bit messy and the dealer said it will look spotless when you pick it up.
Justa wee bit pissed because i thought it was a demo one owner. should have ran a £1.99 hpi

bill

Banned
OP
bill
Honestly i dont want any money of i just want what i thought i bought a one owner car.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
You have bought a one owner car, maybe not a one driver car though. My wife’s new car is ex Skoda UK, we got the full V5 and the registered keeper is Skoda Uk, so maybe get a look at the V5 and the registered keeper will be on it, then you’ll know if it’s lease or rental.

bill

Banned
OP
bill
The V5 says the dealers name and they registered it in there name on the 10/05/2019 just been told by the dealer and he says they dont know who owned it before because head office do all the paperwork. @purplea4T

KevM

RMS Regular
Even ex-rentals have a grading system. Manufacturers can buy the good back and the crap goes through auction. All used cars have a history, whether it be good or bad. Generally a car can stick dogs abuse fairly well these days. Clutch would be the only real concern and you’d know if it felt prematurely worn on a 10k mike car.

Get it bought and relax.

driven

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondy ST220 BMW
Bought an ex hire car s mokka never had any problems with it 90 percent of the stock at these big retailers eg Bristol Street, ac, evens hslshaw etc seem to be ex hire, company cars or mobility these days

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

There would be no used car market without hire companies and leasing - Unfortunately there just isn’t that many people who buy brand new cars and then trade them in a year-ish later.

It’s still under manufacturers warranty and Nissan will honour that here in NI, the warranty won’t be with Bristol Street.

Bit shady advertising as an ex demo, the taxboox will say declared new at registration if that was the case, an HPI will not tell you who the original keeper was though!

With a 2K saving, I wouldn’t be worrying. Don’t believe that a demonstrator with 10k miles of people who have never driven that type of car would be much different!

Relax and enjoy your new car :cool:

bill

Banned
OP
bill
So i got a email from the dealer this morning i dont understand it lol he said the same does anyone here understand.

I have spoke to my manager to get to the bottom of this. So overall the car has been used as a courtesy car and only ever with our company the car has never ever left our premises to another owner. We register the cars to ourself first and then when we decide to use them as courtesy car we sell them to a lease company so we can then lease the cars through them because we are not a lender or broker we are just the branch. Hope this makes sense to yourself, if it doesn’t i can get my manager to explain because it took me a while to understand as well.