Lewis' R6 5sl

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Well as some of you know form my other thread I've been hunting for a bike for sometime now, missed a few good bikes, dodged a few "mint" bikes and seen a few in between. Nothing really got my pulse racing and because this is going to be a birthday to myself it had to be the right bike.

Have to say a massive thanks to @Polobrat666 as he posted in my wanted thread that his friend had a bike he might sell because of his circumstances. A phone call later and a quick drive over to his and the handshake was done. He had the bike booked in for MOT 2 weeks ago but he never got it over because of the snow. He also had rear brake stripped to be cleaned and had new pads and fluid to be put in, because I was practically stealing the bike from him we just gathered up and loose parts or bolts and bundeled it into the van. He was even enough of a gentleman to throw in a pair of paddock stands.

Got the bike home to my friends house cleaned the rear brake and threw the new pads in. Also gave it the once over for MOT and everything seems 100%. We realised once we had it loaded into the van that we forgot to change the fluid. Anyway here it is...

'06 Yamaha R6 5sl. 9550 miles and one owner from 2007. Completly untouched bar a dark screen.

Overall plans are fairly basic, change the end can and maybe a full pipe. Change the indicators for some tasteful clear jobs. Tail tidy. Seat cowl. Adjustable rearsets. Levers. First few things on the list though are insurance, mot, service, and get myself some new gear. Then get to know and enjoy it
20180325_191616.jpg
20180324_172315.jpg
20180324_172327.jpg
20180325_190624.jpg
20180325_190830.jpg

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Thats a 2co. The 5sl is the model between the 5eb and the 2co. Made in 04-05. When i got your pics i seen it wasn't the 2co but it is year 2006 so must only have been registered in '06

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Also need to get new tyres as the 2 that are on it are dated '06 and are slightly hardened. My friend reckons they could be the original tyre from new?....

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
That dash isn't right for a 5sl, the manual isn't showing the led + key icon and the shift lights in the wrong place to be a 2co

Last edited:

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
The 5sl manual doesn't have the YISS led, the 2co manual does but the shift light is in the wrong place

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Cheers, once im on the road its the top of the to do list. Looking for a stumpy or gp style exhaust but proving hard to find. Plenty for the 2co model though

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Get the verniers on the outer dia of the link pipe and the inner dia of the exhaust.

The result may not be model specific but it would open up options with a universal strap fitting.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Cosmetics is all i know for sure. But i assume there is mechanical differences too. 5eb is 00 to 03. 5sl is 04 to 05 and 2co is 06 onwards. Im not sure what the differences are for sure. Its all still new to me.lol. 5sl seems to be a facelift 5eb

warren

RMS Photographer
Speaking of R6s I got mine 5 years ago today it seems :laughing: haha

Is there much induction noise from yours? I remember the howl coming from the front of mine was almost as loud as the exhaust was!

F84494F5-748D-4F6A-8690-D3B4BD8E55C1.jpeg

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Is there a sticky label on the rail under the pillion seat?

Didnt look for it but i dont remember seeing one. Ill look tonight when i get home.

Speaking of R6s I got mine 5 years ago today it seems :laughing: haha

Is there much induction noise from yours? I remember the howl coming from the front of mine was almost as loud as the exhaust was!

View attachment 186395

Lovely bike. Was that swapped out for the R1? To me theres alot of induction noise. But to a vetted biker its probably quiet.lol

warren

RMS Photographer
It was yeah, I didn’t keep it for very long, probably around 6 months. R1 was a combination of a random trip to Hursts, a very good trade in price and me having laughable levels of self restraint lol

R6 is a stellar bike though, probably just the right amount of power to still be playful but have all the speed you could ever need and some.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.