Lexus IS200 experiences?

Lee

RMS Regular
Loved feel and drive but ultimately fuel economy too poor for the excitement levels provided. I managed mid twenties if lucky.
Mine was a tte edition sport with factory fitted broken cd changer.

View attachment 266004

View attachment 266005

I owned that car once upon a time!

I liked it. Big lazy wafter. People expect them to be faster I think because they’re 6 cylinder. But they’re only 2.0 with 150 bhp at the end of the day. I’d say an IS300 with a manual box would be perfect.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Jonny irwin seems to be busy converting them to v8s and changing is300s to manuals. If you got bored after a while he could sort you out with a few more ponies.

I'd quite like a manual IS300 Sportcross

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Completely different end of the market, but this thread has got me looking at IS300h models. Not that I need a big 4 door or anything but they're a nice looking car, never really looked at them before.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
Manual IS300's don't seem to exist, they've been on my 'to own' list for years. Conversion adaptors are £800 too, then the price of the 'box and all the other gubbins (clutch pedal etc) on top of that.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Manual IS300's don't seem to exist, they've been on my 'to own' list for years. Conversion adaptors are £800 too, then the price of the 'box and all the other gubbins (clutch pedal etc) on top of that.

SMURF1 was saying he knows a fella doing the conversions - surely an IS300 would be fairly cheap to buy now?

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
They're thin on the ground and still making 2-3k, sportcrosses about 4. I'd still say you'd looking at grand to convert it. If they were manual they'd be a lot more desirable to the Donegal Rally attendees.

Anyone that owns one seems to love it though, manual or auto.

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
Completely different end of the market, but this thread has got me looking at IS300h models. Not that I need a big 4 door or anything but they're a nice looking car, never really looked at them before.
20190126_153758 (1).jpg

They're great cars to waft about in, can see 50-55mpg on long runs and the electric motor helps with traffic light launches. Don't expect to go anywhere fast in them though, different driving style required!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
That's gorgeous. It's the hybrid element of them that I hadn't realised that is so effective in them. It's a nice alternative to the automatic 3 series/A4 choice too, not that I'm suggesting they are the same money/quality wise before anyone starts.

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
As you may have noticed from this thread that they are slow. I didn't realise how slow until a few weeks ago when there was one in front of me going up the slip road onto a carriageway when he put his foot down and I sailed past him in a diesel vectra and I can say my vectra is definitely not fast lol

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
OP
ItsAdamC
Drives
Baguettes
As you may have noticed from this thread that they are slow. I didn't realise how slow until a few weeks ago when there was one in front of me going up the slip road onto a carriageway when he put his foot down and I sailed past him in a diesel vectra and I can say my vectra is definitely not fast lol

See this is what's putting me off, the 90 brake Leon I'm driving now isn't the power level im used to, I'm not saying ive had some exotic car history or anything like that but I've had a pd130 golf and a pd130 A4, neither of them particularly quick cars but both have managed to pull on is200s. I'm just trying to decide if I could live with how slow they are while it drinks the amount of fuel that actual quick cars do...

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Yes its not gonna be super quick but youll have more fun than you'll ever have in a diesel golf or a4 . Lexus is like 150 bhp not amazing for rwd but be enough to get you in trouble.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Do they have very long gearing or something. They do seem to take a comically long time between gears. I've had cars with similar power levels mx5 and z3 and they get through the gears quick enough.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Do they have very long gearing or something. They do seem to take a comically long time between gears. I've had cars with similar power levels mx5 and z3 and they get through the gears quick enough.

combination of long gearing and heavy car I think.
Also bear in mind it was designed to be an alternative to a 3 series not a hot hatch.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Long gearing yet short power band (redline is around 6k). It's why the 4 pot altezza is very sought after with a much more characterful power band. I really would like a drive in one of them, I bet it would change my opinion of them entirely.

dufunk

RMS Regular
Funny how the 1G-GUE produced 160bhp in 1982 yet the 1G-FE with vvti only had 155bhp was an odd engine choose in first place due to its era but they are fairly bulletproof take some abuse considering it isn't a performance engine and no Yamaha head work. Sticky calipers is a big problem and ball joints can go but other than that ive had 2 and they were faultless and very comfortable for long drive.

Watch out for IS250's doing the same but they are about 190kg heavier even if they have 208bhp not to much difference in performance but they sound class.

Last edited:

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
I think the over all theme is.....

They are slow....

Some say one tried to do a rolling burnout leaving Down Royal Cars n Coffee at the end of last year.....

And it hasn’t reached the main gate yet