MINI John Cooper Works GP

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
205/45 sounds more like it, the wall would be slightly taller in the 215/45, clearance at the front and back of the arches is slim looking too.

Buy them and I'll never mention the black badges again :p

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Oh and yes 205/45 is the right size mate. The ones on that GP look quite chunky, although I quite like the way that looks with a bit of extra tyre wall tbh.

Here's the 205/45's with a little bit of lowerage.

img_20160712_181223-jpg.119676

minibutmighty

RMS Regular
Health to drive.

Our GP1 doesn't get driven as much as it should. How many miles are on this example?

Originally the NI allocation for the GP1 was 8 cars, out of the 458 that came to the UK (was originally meant to be 444). However there were a further 14 of these south of the border too. The UK cars had a different seat spec to the left hand drive market cars. Quite rare on our roads, only when you go to a Mini show do you see several together.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Or these, a bit of light kerbing with ditch finders but 17" gp replica £330
Breaking Late 2004 R53 Mini Cooper S 1.6 *FACELIFT* | in Tandragee, County Armagh | Gumtree

Cheers for the offer mate, I had looked at the 17s but then I'd have the same clearance issues with the AP brakes

Health to drive.

Our GP1 doesn't get driven as much as it should. How many miles are on this example?

Originally the NI allocation for the GP1 was 8 cars, out of the 458 that came to the UK (was originally meant to be 444). However there were a further 14 of these south of the border too. The UK cars had a different seat spec to the left hand drive market cars. Quite rare on our roads, only when you go to a Mini show do you see several together.

Good to see another GP on here! And cheers for the insight as to how many were initially sent over here. Are there many turn up at the shows here? Didn't know that about the LHD seats either.

62k on mine, which is more than I'd have liked ideally, though I'll only be doing 3k a year in it at the most so not too fussed. How many on yours?

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Those OZ wheels are class looking. Something like those and a set of R888's would be brilliant :laughing:

Got nearly brand new Nankang NS-2R's fitted at the minute, but I think I'll whip them off and stick Yokohama AD08R's on instead. Way more tyre choice in 17"!!!

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
Dropping down a wheel size should be an upgrade plus those wheels look mighty , I had one of the first cooper s's which was ordered on 16's but came on 17's , got them changed

after a month and the difference was unreal ! standard 17's very heavy though , your wheels much lighter. awesome car and as someone has already said much underrated by the average male , took an fr 170 seat on a test drive once and got sleepy after 2 miles whereas could drive an S all day !

minibutmighty

RMS Regular
Cheers for the offer mate, I had looked at the 17s but then I'd have the same clearance issues with the AP brakes

Good to see another GP on here! And cheers for the insight as to how many were initially sent over here. Are there many turn up at the shows here? Didn't know that about the LHD seats either.

62k on mine, which is more than I'd have liked ideally, though I'll only be doing 3k a year in it at the most so not too fussed. How many on yours?

Was up in Portrush this year in the R same weekend as the Mini weekend, saw a couple entered in show and a couple others driving about. Otherwise I never see them on the road.

6,600 on ours. Checked up service book other day after MOT, it did a laughable 700miles in the last 3 years.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Was up in Portrush this year in the R same weekend as the Mini weekend, saw a couple entered in show and a couple others driving about. Otherwise I never see them on the road.

6,600 on ours. Checked up service book other day after MOT, it did a laughable 700miles in the last 3 years.

6.6k :eek: That's incredible lol! You can just sit back and watch its value increase now then!

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Not sure whether it's incredible or a crime! Includes a road trip to Silverstone, and a parade lap of the Old GP circuit with 50 GP's.

Be interesting to see what you do to yours.

At least you've had some use out of it then!

I'll not be doing anything mad with it, especially the engine, plus keeping all the standard bits for if I ever sell it on. I only want to improve on the drivability of the wee car for when I take it on a few road trips this/next year.

And manifold/exhaust is going on just because I want a few extra pops and bangs as I have the mental age of a 12 year old and it amuses me :laughing:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I literally titter like a teenage school girl every time the mini let's out a pop. Weeeeeeeeeee pop pop bang, 2nd gear weeeeeeeeeee pop pop burble bang, etc. Non res miltek was all that was needed for that. Hilarious!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I literally titter like a teenage school girl every time the mini let's out a pop. Weeeeeeeeeee pop pop bang, 2nd gear weeeeeeeeeee pop pop burble bang, etc. Non res miltek was all that was needed for that. Hilarious!

Lol, I was contemplating a Miltek for the TTS but had already decided I was too old. These posts are making me think otherwise!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Lol, I was contemplating a Miltek for the TTS but had already decided I was too old. These posts are making me think otherwise!

Something like a Miltek or other decent quality system is a million miles away from a cherry bomb on a 1.1 Saxo. Quiet when you want it to be and great note when you fancy a bit of a stage. I also spent the money on a decent mazdaspeed system on the MX5 and again it can be quiet crusing but a lovely note when I want it. They're not cheap though and in both cases I changed because the OEM exhaust was starting to go.

minibutmighty

RMS Regular
Yeah, I had a series of Mini's so I have quite a few bits for GP including nib alcantara steering wheel and a janspeed sports cat that was originally for my R53 Cooper S, am tempted to fit it to the GP.

Then I sold the R53 for a R56 JCW with a straight through race exhaust and evolve stage 2 remap, properly banged and crackled.

Have you looked at converting the airbox into the motorsport style? Basically the flap at the back that opens at 4.5k rpm, remove it and the supercharger whines all the time.

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Yeah, I had a series of Mini's so I have quite a few bits for GP including nib alcantara steering wheel and a janspeed sports cat that was originally for my R53 Cooper S, am tempted to fit it to the GP.

Then I sold the R53 for a R56 JCW with a straight through race exhaust and evolve stage 2 remap, properly banged and crackled.

Have you looked at converting the airbox into the motorsport style? Basically the flap at the back that opens at 4.5k rpm, remove it and the supercharger whines all the time.

Flap mod is top of the list of things to do when I get my hands on the car again (y)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I put the pipe through the bulk head a few weeks ago and it makes a great difference in supercharger noise. Definitely a worthwhile mod!