MINI John Cooper Works GP

simy

RMS Regular
Spotted this on Great Vic St earlier, looks really well. (Going a bit too slow though)

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Spotted this on Great Vic St earlier, looks really well. (Going a bit too slow though)

Lol was out a spin to get some parts from Mini so took the scenic route home through town. Traffic is a pain in the hole!

SPIKE_

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI | JCW
Lol was out a spin to get some parts from Mini so took the scenic route home through town. Traffic is a pain in the hole!
The traffic around Belfast is mental now. Better of not going there as it just gets you stressed out!

Love the car and the upgrades.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Trying to retrace friday night....

No need to, I remember everything......up until approx 8pm. She has kindly helped fill in the the rest for me, including eating a kebab which I genuinely have no clue about(other than the sauce down my shirt), and when I called her for help at 11.30 as I was tired.

Too old for this now!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
No need to, I remember everything......up until approx 8pm. She has kindly helped fill in the the rest for me, including eating a kebab which I genuinely have no clue about(other than the sauce down my shirt), and when I called her for help at 11.30 as I was tired.

Too old for this now!

Call for help at 11:30? Must have been in some shape lol

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Should stop well now! Not that the original brakes were bad like, but these are shiny. And a wee bit bigger :grinning:

Still the braided hoses to put on the back, plus the two brake pipes the full length of the car to replace, but will do that tomorrow.

Before:

IMG_1750.JPG

After:

IMG_1752.JPG

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Very nice car. I saw a mini GP a few weeks back in Belfast City Centre and it was probably you as these things are so rare. What is she like underneath at the rear? There seems to be a few places where the factory under sealant wasn't applied very well on my cooper s

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Very nice car. I saw a mini GP a few weeks back in Belfast City Centre and it was probably you as these things are so rare. What is she like underneath at the rear? There seems to be a few places where the factory under sealant wasn't applied very well on my cooper s

Thank you. Must've been one of the others you saw as today was the first time I'd had mine into the city. I've learnt of at least 4 others in NI, so there's a fair few about.

Underneath at the rear is clean enough on mine for the age/miles, though the two box sections/rails that run the length of the chassis have surface rust just which I'm going to wire brush and coat with waxoyl over winter when it's off the road.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The very rear of those boxes on mine had some rust too. Treated and waxoyled them. They seem to get no underseal and are very thin? Wouldn't like to see one in a few years time!

You making up some copper lines or did you buy ones from Mini? Might be a tight enough job round the petrol tank :worried:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
The very rear of those boxes on mine had some rust too. Treated and waxoyled them. They seem to get no underseal and are very thin? Wouldn't like to see one in a few years time!

You making up some copper lines or did you buy ones from Mini? Might be a tight enough job round the petrol tank :worried:
Gav loves doing brake lines, it relaxes him.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything

I'll just make some up, got plenty copper pipe here anyways. Actually didn't think to price them up from Mini! They picked it up during the service and were good enough to take photos for me and then explain how to get at them easy enough. Their mechanic said if I unclip the loom I should have enough space to work between the tank and the car without dropping the tank.

Gav loves doing brake lines, it relaxes him.

Worst. Job. Ever! :mad:

Though having the ramp is proving useful, I may even enjoy doing these ones!

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Only a wee update today. Old exhaust now fully off, everything unbolted nice and easy which made it a joy to work at.

Have all the undertrays off now to waxoyl bits and pieces and to get better access to the brake pipes which I've started removing. Only one real bad bit on the original pipes, but may as well do them all. Stuck the braided brake hoses on the back an all which took all of 5mins.
Love just being able to crack the brake unions off with an 11mm and then undo them using only my hands, makes a nice change to them being rusted solid, them rounding them off and then having the hacksaw through the pipe to undo the union using vice grips lol

Can't fit the new exhaust yet as Bavarian ordered me the wrong parts :mad: so ordered the correct ones from Cotswold BMW instead as get good reliable fast service from them.

Worst bit of the brake pipe

IMG_1754.JPG

Both exhausts laid out to compare

IMG_1758.JPG

Old manifold

IMG_1760.JPG

Milltek Manifold

IMG_1759.JPG

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
The miltek kit looks sweet, it will be loud when the go pedal is hard pressed. With the effort your putting in it must be a keeper long term.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
The miltek kit looks sweet, it will be loud when the go pedal is hard pressed. With the effort your putting in it must be a keeper long term.

Yeah I'm actually not sure what I've gotten myself into with the full system as I've read it can be quite loud! The plan is if it's too loud to fit the resonated centre section instead as that seems to tone it down a bit. I'm looking forward to hearing it though as it was so quiet with the standard setup.

And yeah, I definitely want to keep this one a good while and enjoy it. Though all the standard parts will be kept in case it ever needs to go back to standard (y)

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
You might not be too bad just noticed from the pic the milltek mani has a cat, when they are decatted they get very very loud

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Yeah I'm actually not sure what I've gotten myself into with the full system as I've read it can be quite loud! The plan is if it's too loud to fit the resonated centre section instead as that seems to tone it down a bit. I'm looking forward to hearing it though as it was so quiet with the standard setup.

And yeah, I definitely want to keep this one a good while and enjoy it. Though all the standard parts will be kept in case it ever needs to go back to standard (y)
You've changed, first gash metro plates and now complaining an exhaust might be too loud.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
You've changed, first gash metro plates and now complaining an exhaust might be too loud.

If I'm taking it around Europe next year I don't want to have to wear ear plugs. Plus loud is only good in a V8 or V10, not a wee 1.6 mini

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Brake lines done today and drivers side ball joint replaced. Brakes bled up nice and easy using a Sealey pressure bleeder, first time I think it has ever worked for me lol.

Hopefully the gasket for the manifold turns up tomorrow so I can get this Milltek fitted!

Not the tidiest brake pipes I've ever done, but they're done now, clipped up in all the original fixing positions and they don't leak so I won't be touching them:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg