Mk3 Astra

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Been watching this for an age

Perfect car and perfect colour and fair play

Altho it's crying for 5 stud and cav turbo wheels 😚
Cheers ,I did go looking a 5 stud conversion at the time but they are hard to get and can be expensive .

I think at the time I wanted to keep it standard as I could but I already have notions of different wheels .

Last edited:

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Started buffing the car over the last few evenings.

There were a lot of wet sanding marks in the paint which was causing a haze in the paint .

So a few different pad combinations later and have it in better order.

Few before and afters
IMG_6298.jpg

IMG_6299.jpg

IMG_6301.jpg

IMG_6302.jpg

Still have to run round with the finish coat yet but the hard work is done.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Haven’t done a whole pile to the car recently as I’m still waiting on my seats . Went up to the factory last week and made a bit a scene but don’t think I’m any the better for it .

Might end up going and lifting everything from them in January and trying somewhere else to get them finished .

Had hoped to have the car MOT’d by now . Not the end of the world .

Got the scuttle panel cleaned up , wipers fitted and new wiper nut covers . Couldn’t believe you can still get these bits but there’s a crowd in England selling them
IMG_6474.jpeg

Needed a set of plates and had been looking at retro dealer plates . The car originally came from Balylis dealers in gloucester. Had the original key tag with the font used so got the local guy to whip me up some plates based on a few other dealer plates I’ve seen .
Had asked for the writing to be done in black but he done red . Doesn’t look too bad on .

IMG_6513.jpeg

IMG_6556.jpeg

Still on the hunt for a spare gsi alloy to have in the boot . Have the standard steel wheel there for now.

The more I look at side pictures makes we want space the rear wheels a bit. Might look out for spacers in the new year

IMG_6560.jpeg

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
This is basically a better than brand new car.

In the above picture it just looks so clean and clear.

Cheers tufty.

Very happy with how it turned out . It’s not perfect , have a few bits I’m not happy with but will give me something to work on in the future but yeah anything that I could get my hands on that I could replace got swopped out .

Hopefully it does another 20 years .

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Bit of a nostalgic buy this week. Always remember these air fresheners in my uncles nova . They stopped producing them a long time now , old stock is hard to come by and is silly money. But I happened to see a guy reproducing them but with no fragrance in it though.

IMG_6615.jpeg
IMG_6616.jpeg

Also ordered some mats and was surprised when I ordered them on Monday thinking I’ll see them in the new year but they came yesterday

IMG_6617.jpeg

Just need bloody seats now . 🤦🏻‍♂️

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Doing a bit of work to a feature wall i want in the garage for some Car stuff and Led lights so the MK3 and Vx220 had to move out for the day.

Also allowed me to give the garage the once over with the hoover.

thumbnail_IMG_6643.jpg

Definitely think there is something wrong with the passengers rear spring as it looks higher than the drivers. Going to have to have a trawl through to see what i can get.

thumbnail_IMG_6636.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6640.jpg

really cant wait to get driving this thing and get some decent pictures somewhere

The exhaust on this is mad.. may have to tone it down slightly 🤷‍♂️

Started to rain in the end up so back in it goes

thumbnail_IMG_6644.jpg

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
is the spring in the seat correctly ?
Yeah ive checked that .

I took it out and checked that i was in the exact same way as the drivers side but hasnt made any difference.

I had a couple springs that looked similar blasted at the time and unless ive painted the wrong ones or miss-matched them possibly.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
Yeah ive checked that .

I took it out and checked that i was in the exact same way as the drivers side but hasnt made any difference.

I had a couple springs that looked similar blasted at the time and unless ive painted the wrong ones or miss-matched them possibly.
yep done that 🤦🏻‍♂️

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
After nearly 10 months and serious amount of phone calls and calling to the workshop I have 90% of my seats at looonnngggg last
IMG_6911.jpeg

They have to finish the smaller rear seat base and the 2 front headrests .

I’m not fully happy , there’s a stain on the seat which I’m going to have to get sorted .

IMG_6909.jpeg

they lost this cover

And any eagle eye man will notice the seatbelt pre tensioners have went off .

But im just relieved to have them home and they are exactly the look I had in my head that I was trying to achieve .

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
After nearly 10 months and serious amount of phone calls and calling to the workshop I have 90% of my seats at looonnngggg last
View attachment 425860

They have to finish the smaller rear seat base and the 2 front headrests .

I’m not fully happy , there’s a stain on the seat which I’m going to have to get sorted .

View attachment 425862
they lost this cover

And any eagle eye man will notice the seatbelt pre tensioners have went off .

But im just relieved to have them home and they are exactly the look I had in my head that I was trying to achieve .

how did they set the tensioners off pull out the wee key ??

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Yeah must have . The passengers side doesnt even have the wee red key now .

I noticed a part of the sub frame where it bolts to the car is bent so they mush have been throwing them about .

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
You really need to name and shame them so no one else gets caught, that is disgraceful!

I'm going to wait to I get everything back before I do that.

If I even got the last seat base from them I would take the head rests to someone else to do .

The head rests are the ones with the holes in the centre and they are making a massive deal out of it

images.jpg

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
That thing is stunning Sean. I always liked these back in the day. Pity about the issues with the seats.

Kudos dude - looks great like I said.

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
That looks absolutely stunning buddy.

Seems increasingly difficult to get anyone to do anything with abit of pride and honesty these days. Cowboys everywhere

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Well after 4 years on and off restoring this car I had MOT this morning . Never done a full build like this before and I dont know why but goi g for MOT always leave me a nervous wreck .

So on the way to the test centre I’m on the Portadown road from armagh and at the Go station it decides to throw up the EML 🤦🏻‍♂️

Went on up the road and and to do a quick bush fix
IMG_7050.jpeg

I was having a problem with my temperature gauge not working when the car was running , so o think that links to fuel someone said to me so could have effected the emissions or something . Will have to investigate further .

But got a clean bill of health thankfully

IMG_7049.jpeg

It’s a handful to drive , just wants to light up in most gears, didn’t help that today was greasy.

Stopped for a quick pic on the way home

IMG_7047.jpeg

Now to get it taxed and try and enjoy all summer .