Mk3 Astra

slammed dub

RMS Regular
Drives
76 celica & 325i
You hardly know of someone breaking a 3dr mk3? Doors and boot wouldn't be great so would be handy to get better ones rather than fixing these ones

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
You hardly know of someone breaking a 3dr mk3? Doors and boot wouldn't be great so would be handy to get better ones rather than fixing these ones

There is only one guy in England that i know of that breaks mk3's and if you look him up Hayden Rees. Hes on most of the mk3 astra / cavs pages.

Theres a guy outside cookstown and always is doing up Cavs and Astras by the name of Lee Harkin, he might be able to point you in the right direction. Hes also on most of the mk3 astra / cavs pages.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Got the remainder of the parts back from the blaster, there was only the tank straps and the front ARB brackets he didnt do as he was afraid the machine they have would wreck them but i took into them with the wire brush on the grinder and they came up dead on.

IMG_2271.jpg

Gave a good few of the bits a couple coats of the paint on sunday and they have come up really well.

IMG_2288.jpg

Just have the rear calipers, turbo oil return pipe and two engine mounts to paint black

I took into the petrol tank and the heat shields over the weekend too , it was mostly a bit of surface rust on them so gave them a real going over with the grinder and wire brush and then a lashing of the Jenolite rust convertor.
IMG_2224.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg
IMG_2236.jpg
IMG_2237.jpg
IMG_2238.jpg

Have the two shields painted HT aluminium paint and just need to clean off any of the crusty residue left on the tank and I'm going to paint it silver.

I'm due to drop the seats off to the trimmers this week . With GSI seats becoming so rare now and I don't think I've seen a set for sale that the bolster is not wrecked on the driver side I decided to just use the GSI patter center bit and then go with black leather on the rest of the seat so it looks sort of original , will look ver similar to the carlton gsi half leather seats
PICT0355.jpg
PICT0354.jpg

The GSi seats i got way back were ruined from lying in the shell i had with open windows, the foam was a mess so i just stripped the fabric at the time and a few weeks later a guy approached me with a mint set of sport seats which are identical to the GSI seats just with different fabric so i have a good base to work with now.
The weather was good over the weekend so I got the fabric washed and dried and they came up well.

IMG_2220.jpg

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Got the tank near finished over the weekend .

Got layer of the heavy black paint I’ve been painting suspension parts with

8F20D767-08A4-4B18-8ED3-2F2B001E11CB.jpeg

Then started to get some coats of silver on the tank

8F633BCB-8F45-4596-8953-D70E404B0BDA.jpeg

Going to give it two layers of silver , just have one done .

Got the sheet metal and rubber in the post on Friday , have to make new plates for the rear hub carrier plates where the handbrake clip comes out . The old ones were completely rotten.

D58D9DF2-EC1E-4B9E-A45B-D865FBA781AC.jpeg

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Been a while since ive updated this

Been waiting on the car to get painted and as usual family friends get put the back of the queue.

Hes prepped the shell and just waiting on a free spot to get it into the oven to start priming/spraying

IMG_3048.jpg
IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

I put in an order for a full set of Gaz shocks, day after Gaz put a post up saying there was a 6 week lead time due to the amount of orders.

So Friday the DHL van pulled in and dropped these off. Just need to get a pair of bearings and i can get the front legs built up

IMG_3044.jpg

Had been trying to sort out my rear dust shields for the gsi set up, the sheilds i had were in bits and I had spent ages trawling through forums and facebook to see what the solution was.

Had bout these ages ago after seeing a few people ay that these fitted after some modding

s-l5001.jpg

So a disgusting £130 down and i chopped away and chopped away and no amount of modding was going to make these fit.

So back on the net and took some measurements and took a punt on these from a Cavalier and they fit like a glove and for the sum of £40
s-l500 (1).jpg

Ive still some bits of painting to do , engine cover, brake lines etc still need to get the wheels away to get painted and the seats to sort out.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Sooo 6 months later the car has received paint . Painter sent me some pictures this morning.

Only has the roof and bay painted so far but he is doing the rest of the shell some evening this week.

6133cb96-5c3e-4911-b0b4-8982f694e535.JPG
f0ff61df-eadd-48d0-9aa7-2ecb97433bce.JPG

d548476e-82cb-44d1-9506-adf9d9c10f7b.JPG
8f0bf2ae-abdf-4622-a9d3-e89af907efff.JPG
2b73c1ab-d7fb-4f73-baf7-a6df2406f1ef.JPG

Looking forward now to seeing this fully painted.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Class Sean. It's a great feeling seeing progress like that I'm sure
Ah yeah , going to call in Monday to see it. Might actually be taking the shell out of the way during the week. Hopefully have the bonney and boot lid for me and get the rest after .

But at least the shell allows me to start building it back up.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Another milestone sorted and looking good so far...

You'll have it rebuilt in no time too.

Yeah have a few wee bits to paint/clean to put back on a need to get front hub bearings and that will allow me to build up the front legs.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Yeah have a few wee bits to paint/clean to put back on a need to get front hub bearings and that will allow me to build up the front legs.

Any issue sourcing them Sean? I needed a few bits for a Calibra recently and they were very hard to get.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
I sourced some online a few months back but then spent the money on the new shocks so need to go on the hunt again.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
That`s looking really well Sean I cant wait to see future updates no doubt you will have it built in no time.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Been mental lately between new baby and crazy at work and wasn’t putting much pressure on the painter .

So he called me at the start of the week and said to come lift it on Friday as he will be finished wet sanding and polishing the shell.

FF0F3CE5-2D82-424B-8165-69B9418DCC08.jpeg

4FD91D15-21E7-42DB-941D-C081B4427405.jpeg

So back tucked up in the garage and ready to be built back up .

Hopefully be getting a call to lift more parts next weekend .

Bought some of the Bilt Hamber Deox C to clean up all the old bolts before refitting .

396E71E7-92A9-4844-BB97-C5DBBD01715C.png

Need to get an evening to finish painting a few bits so I can start fitting parts again.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Havnt been at much lately with the new baby in the house .

Got all bits back from the painters this week. real happy with the decision to texture black the handles and the mirror bits as most of the cars came with the standard black plastic handles . all came up like brand new.

IMG_4091.jpg
IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_7884.jpg

Was really cold for spraying so set up a temporary booth with a small heater in it, very happy with the results . Leaves i can now push on with getting the loom and bay built up again.
IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

Used the bilthamber deox c on bolts and bits and it is definitely the best product ive used. hot water and spray some in, leave 24hrs and wash off. Stinks to high hell but nearly everything came up great.
IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

Gave them all a quick coat of metal pint to tidy them up.

Going to be a busy Christmas holidays in the garage .

Attachments

• IMG_4209.jpg
    IMG_4209.jpg
    860.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 33

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
So got a good bit done over the holidays .

Got the fuel tank put in place
47865DEA-3B9D-44C9-8714-834E90AD250A.jpeg
288F00E0-6766-4445-96A9-F047AF7C4306.jpeg

Then moved onto fitting then pedal box, servo and rack and then onto the brake lines , gave them a clean down as the previous owner have them caked in greases and a bit discoloured

54F88F97-8FA7-42E4-B7E5-6FC00DACAEF8.jpeg

Also go the matrix /heater fan fitted
27D9E9EF-C4B1-4D5F-A4BA-DF04278AB3A7.jpeg

Then onto building up the rear beam

Made up new bits that cover where the handbrake mechanism pops out of the hub as the old ones were scrap
FBABB045-7885-474D-AB10-6032BBE1FD2D.jpeg

840FDB87-AE02-4E02-9F85-9F76001D71E7.jpeg

Then finally fitted the rear beam

00512FAC-CC5A-4CF4-8822-3FDB4D28DD6C.jpeg

Have to order some springs for the car yet so can’t bolt up the rear beam fully . And don’t want to put the dust covers on as don’t want them getting twisted .

Going to get the rear calipers rebuilt with the seal and piston kit i got a while back and have 2 new pipes to make up as they weren’t on the beam I got with the donor.

Next thing is really to get the engine in place and windows in .

Hopefully have more regular updates over the next few months .

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
So went to cobra customs in newry and got the wheels done . Very happy with them and a great finish . Ever so slight difference in the center caps but don’t think there’s much you can do. Everyone warned me about it so went with a good sparkle in them to try and hid the shade difference .

8CBAD272-0D34-4A09-BD3F-E9F4A4ADCEF1.jpeg
BCFB5481-60AF-4B4A-8427-0F9864AD1FB5.jpeg

Got the rear handbrake shoes all fitted along with the handbrake cable .
CBA0C253-7DDC-4344-9C5D-B6B3D97E0EC0.jpeg

Needed to get some new rear brake pipes made up as the old ones I had were too short to fit properly to the gsi rear calipers so a local mechanic whipped me up some new ones, just need to bend them into shape
A5CB3184-6532-4B4A-9209-0B51AE49D27A.jpeg

Started to take the rear calipers apart to fit the refurb kit , so have them all stripped and just need to fit the pistons and seals

DB12E992-0C83-4243-9DB6-49CA52800565.jpeg

I managed to source a new old stock gsi windscreen with the top tint way last year and a local window fitter was storing it for me . He called me a few weeks back and said he would call to fit this week .he landed and seen that the car still didn’t have the engine in and was up on the kegs and said he couldn’t fit as the screen would crack when I put the weight of the engine in and try to lower the car back down .. 🤦🏻‍♂️

So push is on now to get the engine back in and try get it onto the ground .

So fitted the new type filter housing with the threaded female inserts to go to the oil cooler as the older type I had and got the jic fittings wended on just leaked, not much but was dripping g and annoying me .

Also got all the mounts and subframe mounted up . Just need to get the car raised a bit more to slip the engine underneath . Serious awkward to put it in from the top .
FEAEA28D-072F-417B-BABA-4B8273801EE0.jpeg