Mk3 Astra

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Just got a small bit of the paint left over from the car off the painters and he gave me a good hardener for it.

Had tried some tins of different red reds from auto places but it was coming up terrible.

Will that be able to take all the flex in the springs without flaking off?

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Will that be able to take all the flex in the springs without flaking off?
Not sure but time will tell.

Was sure if these springs were going to be low enough so thought I would try it to tidy them up.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Got the rocker cover painted .

Serious amount of prep with it and think it turned out alright

6C9A9E9E-3147-4263-AC39-6FE974D22501.jpeg

13F67F98-CF44-4B2D-8178-D6BA213D5C4A.jpeg

Waiting on the new gaskets before I can get it fitted .

Have a good few bits ordered so hopefully they come before the weekend so I’ll have them to work with over the few days off at Easter .

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Been trying to paint bits lately and it just hasnt been working for me.

Painted the dipak twice in the red and it reacted so i ended up stripping it right back and just painted it black .
IMG_4942.jpg

Also painted the small plastic cover that covers the throttle body, gave it a coat of the same wrinkle/texture paint that the rocker was done in and then a satin lacquer over the top and im happy enough with it.

Got some new square grommets for the slam panel and got the head lights fitted
IMG_4945.jpg

Went to start fitting the front bumper and realised the wiring for the fog lights was not in my loom, so went to an old loom i have and cur off 2 plugs and made up a loom that will get me through the bulk head, ill have to sort out relays and stuff from there to get the lights working.

IMG_4943.jpg

While I'm waiting for a few clips to hide some wires that I have been tidying up i started into the solid pipe from throttle body to the intercooler.

I was going to paint it but the bent pipe I got for the air filter came brushed alloy and this pipe being alloy I though I would give it a try and sand it down and give it a bit of a brushed look. need a bit more refining but overall I don't think it looks bad.

IMG_4946.jpg

IMG_4947.jpg

Have all the callipers fitted now but no pics. My brother I home from Auz now in a couple of weeks for 3 weeks and my plan is to maybe try and get it fired up and he can lend a leg to get the system bled.

Im near ready now to get started on the interior wiring which is going to take a bit of patience, trying to fit the dash and the interior loom is never my favourite job.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Where do you get this wrinkle paint?

Wouldnt mind doing some parts behind my grill which have been blasted by stones/wear and tear over the years

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Where do you get this wrinkle paint?

Wouldnt mind doing some parts behind my grill which have been blasted by stones/wear and tear over the years

Thats the stuff i used

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Want to get the front bumper fitted so set about trying to clean up the fog lights. They had loads of stone chips and didnt look great .

Underestimated the amount of sanding needed for glass .Went through the grades , 240,400,800,1000,1500,2000 but it was still dullish , quick mist of clear lacquer and they look a lot better. Have to try and clean the inside of the glass, has some white spots of dirt which you can see in the picture

IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5037.jpg
IMG_5039.jpg

Got some Omega bonnet lifters to fit

IMG_4966.jpg

Also got this handy clap from amazon to try and hold the two matrix heater pipes together and pull them up and away from the linkage for a bit more clearance.
IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

Bay is nearly there, waiting on a heat shield to come from England, on the hunt for a clean washer bottle which are like hens teeth , and need to buy some loom tape to tidy up the loom bits and make it more factory looking.

IMG_4970.jpg

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
So wee bit more done

All calipers and flexi pipes now fully fitted and clipped
IMG_5058.jpg

Another nice milestone was getting the front bumper and grill built up

IMG_5073 1.jpg
IMG_5081 1.jpg

the grill came with the 2 lugs ate each end near the indicators missing so I'm going to have to seal them in place but want to get the engine running again to make sure theres no leaks from the oil cooler etc so I don't have to take the grill back off again.

I have a pair of Ph1 gsi rear lights but there not in fantastic condition but i have a real good set of ph2 lights or sport lights as they are sometimes called . Only difference really is the top orange section is tinted more on ph1 than ph 2. So for now i just gave them a quick polish up to keep me going for now.
IMG_5115 1.jpg
IMG_5114.jpg

came up nice

IMG_5113.jpg

I could just tape these off at the natural line you see and give them a light coat of tint spray but not sure how it would look.

Put an order in at the weekend for a new front and rear badge at pure disgusting money🤢 ended up being £55 each

I could of gotten a repo griffin but the chrome surround needed touched up and by the time i got both badges re chromed or messed about with chrome paint i could have been out more money . The one i had wasnt that bad but when ive gone to this detail on everything else a scruffy badge would let it down.
IMG_5122 1.jpg

The onto the worst part, spent 2 hours of my life on my knees trying to get the bloody loom and dash in. Thank god thats done .

IMG_5136 1.jpg

Need to attach the battery now to get the electric window kit fitted and the central locking poppers.

Have to get the carpets pulled out now and washed and get them fitted.

Still trying to be hopeful of having a drive in the car on the road in "Summer" this year .

Last edited:

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Great work. Some effort and man hours at this level, unless you have done it, you'd never understand lol!

You could sand, and lacquer the rear lights also to bring them up a bit.

Look's great, they would be light on the ground nowadays.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Great work. Some effort and man hours at this level, unless you have done it, you'd never understand lol!

You could sand, and lacquer the rear lights also to bring them up a bit.

Look's great, they would be light on the ground nowadays.

Yeah a right few hours spent on this so far.

Never though of lacquering over it all .

Im going to give these lights a go first and see how I like them and if another decent set of Ph 1 come up for sale .

I kept the orange side indicators so at the minute it all sort of matches in.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Small update this weekend , managed to source a mainfold heat shield from a guy in England.

Gave it a lick of paint to tidy up and fitted.
IMG_5186.jpg

Started burning the fingers off myself doing the soldering and heat shrinking. Tedious job but needs to be done.

Also pulled out all the seats and hopefully if I get a chance today to leave them to the trimmers to get started on.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Very little pictures to show on this update.

Been working on the wiring and have it to the point now the clocks, lights are all going and car is turning over. Need to put petrol in the tank before I can fire it up .

IMG_5341.jpg

Ive got the electric window mortors fitted and the retro fit door lock poppers fitted . Just in the middle of sorting the wiring for it all now.

Was able to fit the mirrors now the window seals are fitted.

IMG_5343.jpg

Starting to take a bit of shape.

I had a spare hour one morning while waiting to go to a meeting to loaded up the jeep with the interior seats and got them dropped off at the trimmers.

Hes going to fit it in between jobs so could be 3-4 weeks before i get them back

IMG_5294.jpg

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Small victory last night, made up a loom , sourced relays and a switch and now have fog lights wired up to OEM switch.

IMG_5384.jpg

Starting on the door looms now for the door lock poppers, electric mirrors and electric windows.

I have the proper door looms but have to replace the interior parts . Trying to source wiring diagrams but not proving to be easy.