Mk4 Golf Tdi Anniversary (aka triggers broom)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
few people had suggested a build thread, so here goes....

Bought it in Nov 2012 from a guy in Millisle who had brought it over from England and owned it for a month before selling it to me at a loss. (he'd gone from a S15 to this so got bored very quick)
IMG_2601.JPG
2002 1.9tdi Mk4 GTI Anniversary Number 1684
106,000miles
Standard with all the Usual Anniversary Trimmings bar-
Lowering springs
Allard hard pipe kit
Full turbo back Miltek
And remapped. From talking to some people that new the owner it had been dyno'd at 185bhp. Compared to the tdi vento it replaced it felt like a well built rocketship
C:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

Got the windscreen replaced as it was covered in chips
IMG_2846.JPG

Standard problem with the ARL engine is the wiring loom for the injectors is actually inside the engine, so theyre prone to dying. Changed that, inspected the cam for the dreaded wear and was happy it appeared to be a healthy engine
IMG_2874.JPG

All was well, then at 112,000 miles the engine shat itself.

IMG_2958.JPG

It went to Matt McGowan in Comber to have the old donkey lifted out and a new one put in. Payed over the odds from @sam_9n for a 9,000 mile arl that had been lifted from a written off anni and put into a mk2. Engine was fitted with all my existing ancillaries and back on the road again. We'd a bit of bother trying to stop the engine from overheating, but it passed the head gasket tests and eventually we got it running ok.

Got about a month before disaster struck again

Overtaking a swarm of cyclists on some backroads i heard a pop, there was a plume of smoke out the back, and the engine sounded like a bag of spanners

By this stage i was all out of funds and couldnt afford to buy another full engine. Matt managed to find me a bare bones 130 pd engine so the desicion was made to put the car into my garage and rebuild it myself.
IMG_3058.JPG

Id done my fair share of stripping down cars, helping other with engine work, done a few engine swaps so knew it wasnt going to be easy. But you'd be amazed what you can achieve with Google, some mates and a halfords socket set :joy:
IMG_3073.JPG

Engine out, started the strip down.
IMG_3074.JPG

Turbo off and discovered that whatever had gone in the engine had made its way through the turbo :weary_face:
IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

So at this point i contacted OBD Autotune in Ballymena to see what my options were. We agreed i'd bring it up to be converted to a stage two hybrid with a 56mm compressor wheel, and we would get it remapped to suit when the engine was rebuilt and had a few miles under its belt.:yum

Next up was to split the engine......

Attachments

• IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 115

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
So engine apart and i found the cause of the problem!
IMG_3082.JPG

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

So got the engine all apart, and sent the Crank off to OD engineering to be tidied up and rebalanced. Then started swapping all the head componants onto the new head.
IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3093.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

Picked up the refurbed hybrid turbo from OBD
IMG_3097.JPG
Got hold of a 6 paddle clutch plate, which i ran with the standard flywheel and clutch
IMG_3089.JPG

Got the Crank back, bought all the new bearings, ARP headbolts, new timing belt water pump etc and started to rebuild it all back together...

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I would love one and have been looking for the past few years but the price of them are going one way. You appear to have had a nightmare, but good your getting stuck into it. Looks great in black

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
We had the same issue with the wiring loom, had to DIY it twice but seemed to sort it out.

Then last week the wife said something broke on the car, so I went to pick her up, popped the bonnet and the engine was lying caved in at one side, broke the engine mount bracket.

nearing 210,000 miles and close to setting it on fire,

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
New Shells in
IMG_3120.JPG

Refurbished 9000 mile crank in
IMG_3121.JPG

Cleaned out the oil pickup and built the bottom end back up
IMG_3122.JPG
IMG_3123.JPG
IMG_3124.JPG
IMG_3126.JPG

New Head gasket
IMG_3127.JPG

Head put back on, timing belt and water pump etc fitted
IMG_3129.JPG

Finally the engine was back in!:oops:
IMG_3133.JPG

Front clip back on and all fluids topped up
IMG_3147.JPG

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
So after owning the car for 5 months, and it being off the road for two of those, and my Mastercard taking an absolute pounding, it finally moved out of the garage under its own steam (y)
IMG_3155.JPG

So Easter 2013 it was finally back on the road. Needed mapped badly to match the fueling up with the boost of the hybrid, but great to be back in it.
IMG_3157.JPG

Decided to treat the car to a bit of rust prevention. So up on stands, wheels off and arch liners out.
IMG_3165.JPG
IMG_3166.JPG

Taped up as much as i could and applied a good coating of shutz into all four arches
IMG_3170.JPG

Spent a clean fortune on four brand new liners :monkey:
IMG_3174.JPG
IMG_3179.JPG
IMG_3180.JPG

And sprayed the calipers the original red.
IMG_3183.JPG

Fitted new pagid pads all round
IMG_3186.JPG

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Back to full daily duties, the miles kept racking up with a few teething problems.

Leaking Power steering pump
IMG_3221.JPG

Turbo oil return pipe was split and weeping, so replacement fitted
IMG_3223.JPG

Fitted poly dog bone bush
IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

Made a nicer difference when banging through the gears. Car already had a forge short shift fitted, and i had some tyrol change shift bushes fitted.
All was great in the land of sporty diesels...
IMG_3234.JPG

But as always, not for long... :-#
IMG_3248.JPG

Oil pressure issues caused by a leak at the crank oil seal. Which meant the gearbox and clutch needed to come out. :sob:
At that time we spotted play in the flywheel, so a replacement was fitted
IMG_3250.JPG
IMG_3251.JPG
IMG_3255.JPG

That all back together and i was still getting oil pressure warnings. Turned out the oil pressure sensor was shagged
IMG_3325.JPG

Replaced that and we were back motoring again :oops:

All of this only takes us up to May 2013 :joy:

I think that even by this stage i knew i was in too deep and couldnt let go of it. Its annoying when you bond with a car that only wants to break your heart :laughing:

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Bought some ebay special sound deadening, and stripped out the interior and fitted it.
IMG_3343.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3345.JPG

Treated it to a new coolant bottle
IMG_3349.JPG

By this stage i'd enough miles on the rebuilt engine that it was time for a trip to ballymena for OBD to map it.

Struck a deal with them that while i was away to turkey for a fortnight they would have the car to a) see how much they could push standard injectors/ hybrid turbo and b) make a copy of my allard hard pipe kit
IMG_3376.JPG

So win win for me, i got a free remap, and a fortnights airport parking :joy:

They tried pushing it past 230bhp but it was just too smokey. So the final result was a healthy 222bhp and 318lbft of torque at a dizzy 31psi! (y)
Anni Dyno.jpg

That said, from seeing other figures that mk4 ARL owners with hybrid turbos have got, the torque figure seems low. Its generally acknowledged that 230bhp is the max for the standard injectors.

Regardless it was pulling like a train, great for those dual carraigeway spirited drives against any civic type R, mk5 gti, leon cupra R etc that i played with. Mk7 R's seem to pull slightly. All while averaging 50mpg :cool:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Jesus Ryan that is some seriously bad fortune going on there but fair ****s to keeping er lit!

At least you know when it all stops the car will be in fantastic order throughout :grinning:

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Castlewellan 2013 was approaching, and the paintwork was annoying me. It had been painted badly on the passenger side rear quarter, and generally lacked a decent shine. So i decided to have a go at wet sanding it :worried:
IMG_3562.JPG

Had to take it to work half done lol
IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

Then we buffed it back up. Came up well.
IMG_3566.JPG

Needed new top mounts, so fitted a mix of audi 80 and polo 6n top mounts which brought the front end down a little and balanced out the stance (i use that term very loosly :joy: )
Before
IMG_3568.JPG

After
IMG_3569.JPG

Its never been a scene stance queen, always just a good fast road height. Perfect for backroads to and from work :yum
IMG_3570.JPG

Gave it a good polishing
IMG_3575.JPG

and went to GTiNI Castlewellan
IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Great thread!

Also I've just realised I bought a GT TDI interior off you many moons ago for my red MK4 lol

That will have been Richard who owns the red mk3. He had a mk4 he broke for the engine. Some of the work on this was done on his driveway, so that probably where you reckognise it from ;)

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Apologies if this thread drags on, im trawling through old phone backups and trying to work out 6 years worth of timeline/repairs/mods :-# More for my own benifit to actually have it all in one place lol

Managed to hit 120k in October 2013
IMG_3957.JPG

So treated it to a detail, and found the new love of my life Poorboys Black Hole :heart_eyes:
IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3955.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

Then it was time for its first Mot in my ownership
IMG_4043.JPG

Which it passed! So i treated myself/it to a new headunit (second hand off ebay) to replace the very dated OEM sat nav.
IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

For xmas that year, my girlfriend got me a set of mats including the boot liner. Would have been ungrateful/OCD of me to mention that they had the mk5 gti font :-#
IMG_4303.JPG

IMG_4304.JPG

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Car started going into limp mode with no boost, vagcom suggested it was the boost pressure sensor, so a new one was sourced from Darkside.
IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

That helped a little, but it would still go into limp mode every so often. Further digging discovered that due to the location of the sensor on one of the hard pipes, it was pressing against the wiring by the gearbox and had broken a wire
IMG_4334.JPG

did a repair on said wire and all was right with the world again! Back to full daily duties, including helping my gran move approx 400m down the road from a bungalow to a pensioner fold in Belvior
IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

Hit a new personal best #whoneedsaprius
IMG_4966.JPG

then hit 130k on May 2014
IMG_4990.JPG

So treated it to a new front badge...
IMG_5038.JPG

And a brand new drivers recaro seat foam
IMG_5061.JPG

A must have for the owner of any old recaro seat! Makes it a far nicer place to be when stuck in traffic :yum

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Some work there! fair play. Big balls having a go at wet sanding it, there's no going back then!(y)

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Some thread! I have a soft spot for a mk4 Golf myself having had a couple of Jazz Blue’s a few years ago! I can’t get over that mpg though! :scream:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.