My car is not well.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Yeah, the car dips and loses power quite sharply, when you accellerate, both gently and heavily, or even when your just cruising at a steady speed, you have to boot it to get it to pick up again and there is a good bit of smoke out the back pretty much constantly now, no matter if your cruising, decelerating, accelerating. obviously its worse according to what your doing but it doesnt go away. smoke seems pretty white from what i see in the mirror but occasionally black or blue

this only began on friday came on when i was going home from work didnt niotice it before that. and it is definitely very noticeable lol

im thinking turbo but the sudden-ness of it coming on is weird i thought a turbo would die gradually

the car has chugged a bit at low revs since i got it which i assumed was a bad maf which i never bothered replacing, but it never got any worse.

its a passat tdi btw

cheers lads

56oval

RMS Regular
she was really smoking coming past me the other day, i just thought you had her screwed out lol:p
get her plugged in and fault codes read 1st.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
aye theres a lot of hissing/whooshin

had a closer look today and one of the boost pipes is like half blown apart at the end, that would explain why it came on suddenly would it give the symptoms of smoking etc as well as the power loss tho

need to find someone with vagcom or else get it lol

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
yeah the pipe is almost blown apart its like hangin on by a thread, i think it mightve been like that for a while cos the whooshing has been there for ages but it was drivin ok anyway

didnt think turbo problems would start so suddenly, was fine on way to work on friday, then after work bolloxed

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
do you drive the car hard from cold or always let it get up to temp first cos that's a quick way to kill one

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
nah not usually maybe the very odd time if im super late for work but i didnt do it the day it started doin this or even in the week or two before that

i just started her after work on friday and drove off pretty slow down the road and the power started dipping like its doing and its been getting worse ever since

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
What pipe has come off? At the top left of the engine bay beside the EGR valve?

If it is (it usually is this one), get a new one from VW for £30 and replace the clips too. The clips fail over time and causes this to happen. Happened to mine and I thought it was the turbo. Replaced the pipe, and the fuse for the N75 valve and was right as rain.

henny

RMS Regular
had one in work the other day pipe blew of lots of smoke out got a new pipe for it and fitted it and it was all fine.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
Boost leak will have killed the turbo. :worried:

hopefully not its only been like that for a week today

will go to vw today hope they have one in stock and its not too fiddly to fit lol

the pipe hasnt come off as such its just started comin apart a bit i tried to get it back on but no way

its the one at the top right actually alan think its the biggest one

does this cause the n75 to blow a fuse or something?

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
If its the pipe mentioned above its a piece of piss to fit, though Im not sure if they carry it in stock, might have to be ordered in.

If there are clips make sure you get new ones too.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
i fixed that hose and she was better but still smokey, and now she is running worse again, not quite as bad as before but still bad.

that bit of pipe right out of the turbo that looks like it is "weaved" out of metal has a big split in it. does this matter or is that weaved metal part just like a cover or does it actually do something lol what is it? is it part of the cat or summit? never really looked at one before

i think my course of action will be big jubilee clips on all boost pipes get them tightened up, a new one of those weaved pipe things i guess and a scan with vag com

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
The weaved part is the exhaust flex. It doesn't really matter but would be better to get it fixed to stop it falling apart some day down the road.
A boost leak just causes a lot of black smoke from overfueling with the ecu trying to compensate the lack of air. And it won't bust the turbo unless you've been booting the dung out of it and doing the sort of stuff that breaks turbos anyway.
The N75 is a boost control valve and a boost leak won't affect it in any way. If you've fixed all the intercooler pipes and it's still not running right you could have any one of about 10 faults. Make sure you go to somewhere that knows how to read fault codes properly and not just to a garage that takes wild guesses and charges you a fortune fitting parts that isn't needed.
Baz

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
i havent really fixed the boost pipes. i fixed the one that was totally busted but it could do with new clips, the other bottom ones are pretty loose i aint looked at fixing them yet, but they always have been like that and it wasnt any bother

the car is noticeably louder with the exhaust flex split. is it essential that this remains flexi or can i cut it out and put some pipe in or something?

the car is chugging like mad, severely down on power, smoking loads even when not accellerating and just cruising. im not booting it on but when your accellerating and it dies off you have to put the foot down to get it to go at all and it makes serious black smoke when you do

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
im only getting like 25-30 mpg too normally 45-50

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
If you have no flex the pipe will vibrate and crack the welds. It's there to allow movement.

Fix the pipes properly first and let us know how that goes. The chugging would suggest you have a faulty/sticking egr valve. Clean out the egr and intake manifold while you're working at that part of the car.

The black smoke still suggests you have a lack of air so the leak is probably still there. You also need the MAF tested just to make sure you have the sensors still feeding the correct info.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
how do you test a maf? you need to do a run up the road with it and read what it does with some program dont you cos it doesnt show up on vag-com?

i was thinking about removing the egr completely and blanking that off.

The smoke is more white usually or blue, just a plume of black when you put the foot down to make her pick up.

I will get the exhaust flexi fixed, anyone know anywhere good to go a price, can you just get a new flexi part or do you need a bigger piece of exhaust that includes teh flexi?

Ill look at the boost pipes too, guess i should put some big jubilee clips on them or something?

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
how do you test a maf? you need to do a run up the road with it and read what it does with some program dont you cos it doesnt show up on vag-com?

i was thinking about removing the egr completely and blanking that off.

The smoke is more white usually or blue, just a plume of black when you put the foot down to make her pick up.

I will get the exhaust flexi fixed, anyone know anywhere good to go a price, can you just get a new flexi part or do you need a bigger piece of exhaust that includes teh flexi?

Ill look at the boost pipes too, guess i should put some big jubilee clips on them or something?

where are you based Forde, if you're near belfast drop it into to The Volks Workshop (y)

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
You need to do and airflow test on 100% throttle in 3rd or 4th gear from about 1500rpm to about 4000rpm and the test is done on vag-com.

If you can get the egr blanked off do it asap.

White smoke = moisture or water getting burnt.
Blue smoke = oil getting burnt.
Black smoke = over fueling.

White or blue smoke could mean a busted turbo, buster oil cooler, busted head gasket. You'll know how to check via the usual places. (oil in the header tank).

You can't jubilee clip over the plastic clips. You need new ones unless they're barb fittings. If they're barbs just get T-bolt clamps.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
You need to do and airflow test on 100% throttle in 3rd or 4th gear from about 1500rpm to about 4000rpm and the test is done on vag-com.

If you can get the egr blanked off do it asap.

White smoke = moisture or water getting burnt.
Blue smoke = oil getting burnt.
Black smoke = over fueling.

White or blue smoke could mean a busted turbo, buster oil cooler, busted head gasket. You'll know how to check via the usual places. (oil in the header tank).

You can't jubilee clip over the plastic clips. You need new ones unless they're barb fittings. If they're barbs just get T-bolt clamps.

Aye ill have to order blanking plates for the EGR then. i take it its simply a case of whipping it off and putting the plates on.

ill order them now they are like £4 and theyll be here by friday when i get home if i order now :laughing:

Im not sure what you mean about the clips.

Each boost pipe has a metal section at the end which you push into a slightly larger plastic tube and it kinda clips in cos its tight, then you put the clip round it.

the VW clips are these crappy spring clip things which are ****, i picked up some new ones but aint fitted yet. i was thinking about using big jubilee clips instead cos they wouldnt be weak and come loose like vw ones

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.