My car is not well.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
I know the spring cips you mean now. They usually should be tight enough but if it's the barb fittings on your boost pipes you'd still be better with T-bolt clamps instead of Jubilee clips. They're tighter and stronger.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
Im not sure what those are lol

the oem clips are like open at the bottom so you just push them down over it and they snap tight

ive been meaning to replace them on all boost hoses for ages lol

anyone recommend an exhaust place for the exhaust, can you just have the flexi part replaced or do you need to do the whole bit

thanks for answerin all these questions man i appreciate it

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
Ok so you're not talking about barbed fittings. You're talking about the circlips.

You can't replace them with jubillee clamps unless you change all the piping. There's nothing there to clamp down like a compression style fitting like a Jubilee or T-bolt clamp anyway.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
wouldnt it clamp down on the metal end of the boost pipe that is inside the plastic pipe? is that not what the circlips are doing?

this is confusing me lol ill need to go in for a closer inspection

with regard to the egr valve do you just whip it off and stick the blanking plates on or is there more to it

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
EGR is self explanatory when you get a look at it.

As for the clips. Take a look at it and then you'll see what I mean that you can't clamp hard plastic down.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
aye i guess they would be too hard plastic

i dont understand how the springy oem circlips work then surely they are just squeezin it tight around the boost pipe the same way that a jubilee clip would?

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
They don't squeeze anything. They go in front of the studs on the pipe fitting and stop it from sliding out.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
i see, those wee bumps on the fitting look tiny.

the clips on my car must be goosed cos the boost pipe i fixed before blew off on the way to uni there now, i used the same clip... i have two new ones just aint put em on yet

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
btw baz you seem to know a lot about these engines do you know much about fitting a merc MAF? want to do it but noone can tell me which merc maf to get or if its a straight fit?

thanks for all the help too dude youve really helped me out

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
Merc maf = Absolute waste of time.

Your airflow sensor is only there to read the amount of air going in. Ask PobMK4 how many of these he has to remove. He said he's sick of seeing them.

Just use the normal MAF for your engine. They're actually fairly robust and don't cause half as many problems as people think they do.

If you get a chance take a look at the pipe that blew off and see if the wee studs are worn.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
yeah teh merc maf is 65 quid and vw one is 89 tho that was the main reason i wanted one :p

ill be seeing that pipe again later cos ill have to bloody put it back but they did look pretty small probably worn. i dont know what good ones look like tho

its really quite hard to push this pipe back in, pretty tight like but it seems to blow back out quite easily when your going

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
You take your old MAF in to VW and you get the new one for about £65 anyway.

If you get the pipe back in just take it easy driving and avoid hard accelleration until you get a better look at it. You'll be able to compare the pipe clips with one of the other ones on the car. if you pull the circlip to it's open position the pipe should push in no bother. When you see the end of the pipe you'll understand the function of the Circlips better too.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
i was in VW and the dude just said it was 89 and you had to bring your old one back cos it was an exchage item he didnt say you got money off!

i have seen the end of the pipe already cos it was out before it has wee bumps on the metal part but theyre small

i just shoved it back in without removing or touching the circlip at all, the circlip is meant to go behind those wee bumps and hold it right?

i didnt realise the circlip had an open position i thought you just pushed it down over the pipe and it snapped round it??? thats why i didnt remove it or touch it before i just whacked the pipe back in

what is the open and closed position of it that could help me a lot

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
You'll see a bump at the top of the clip. That's so you can grab it and pull it up about half an inch to the open position. then you put the pipe in and snap the clip back into place.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Slightly off topic/thread hijack

Why are diesels more smokey in cold weather? Something to do with air temp / fuel air ratio etc ?

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
Technically they should be less smokey because the air is colder. You don't see your breath in the air during the summer so maybe you notice the exhaust fumes more hitting the cold air?

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
all cars are more smokey in teh cold weather

but they arent actually making any more smoke, its just that you can see it condensing cos of the temp

here baz, i pulled the old circlip off that pipe, it was broken at one end which explains why the pipe keeps coming out, but the problem now is i cant get the new one to go on right, how do you do it lol?

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
There's no secret to it. You might have it the wrong way round or something.
Just push the pipe in all the way and you'll see when the studs are in far enough through the slits in the side. Then push the clip on. It'll snap into place.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
its pushin the clip on that is giving me bother, u know the way the two bottom ends of the clip have wee bits that stick out different directions, they wont sit in right.

i can push teh clip on of course and it holds it pretty tight but cant get the bottom ends to snap in just like they should

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
The clips should more or less fall into place. Are you sure there isn't part of the pipe broken?

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
nah, maybe i just aint puttin the ends of the clip in the right place there must be a specific slot for them to snap in to, its weird the way the ends of the clip are out at right angles

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
Yes the specific slot is the one with the gaps so that it goes through the pipe and sits in front of the studs to stop the pipe blowing off.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
not sure where these gaps are i didnt see them guess ill have to go **** with it for a while

the problem im havin is when you put the circlip into teh wee groove and start pushin it down it goes down over it ok but theres nowhere for those right angled parts at the bottom to snap into

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
Image263.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.