My new Italian Project - Alfa 159 Ti

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Beautiful car, and fair play for tackling the issues too. Not many would just grab a welder and get stuck in, so very well done to you my man.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Nice car for sure - fair play for tackling some of the trickier jobs yourself!

Here I am farming out an oil and spark plug change lol :joy:

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
When you refit the side skirts leave out the last grommet towards the rear and let gravity do its thing. My Touareg had 3 grommets along the bottom of the sills that were supposed to drain water but they didn’t. I left the rear grommet off and never had a problem water ingress( in that area) again
Good shout!
Nice car for sure - fair play for tackling some of the trickier jobs yourself!

Here I am farming out an oil and spark plug change lol :joy:
Sometimes I think it’d be easier to do that lol, but then again the sense of accomplishment I get once done is immeasurable!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I love the look of these. A timelessly classic looking car. Health to enjoy.

I've also said it before and I'll say it again - you are very talented when you put your mind to something.

like you took on a welding job that most professionals would like shy away from but you go out and buy a mig welder and just do it. You engine swapped a golf in 8 days!

I know you have other responsibilities but honestly man - a lot of places would dream of having someone like you working for them.

Love the plastic welding kit too by the way - have you a link as to where you got it, as I have a couple of wee jobs that they would be perfect on

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I love the look of these. A timelessly classic looking car. Health to enjoy.

I've also said it before and I'll say it again - you are very talented when you put your mind to something.

like you took on a welding job that most professionals would like shy away from but you go out and buy a mig welder and just do it. You engine swapped a golf in 8 days!

I know you have other responsibilities but honestly man - a lot of places would dream of having someone like you working for them.

Love the plastic welding kit too by the way - have you a link as to where you got it, as I have a couple of wee jobs that they would be perfect on
You’re too kind!

As I mentioned I had priced around and felt that at least two places “priced themselves outta work” if you get me. Another two places just flat refused. One place was saying it would be Easter before they could take the job on.

It was only two friends who priced me extremely cheaply for the job. However I just thought I could have a go myself, watched loads of YouTube videos which helped remind me of the prep work and setting the mig up, but the best learning for me has and always will be hands on experience!

As for the plastic welding @Big Pimp , I know I’m a bit out of your way, but if you’re up here before you need the job done, you’re more than welcome to borrow my kit?

If not then here’s the link:

As for people looking someone with my talents Ross, I’ve been “away from the tools” for too long now. By that I mean I’ve no references for my mechanical work for the last 20yrs and in my experience, well 10yrs ago when I was last applying for jobs, garages are all looking for up to date references, not to mention looking experience on the diagnostic side of things, not sure my little Autec scanner would qualify as relevant experience! 😂😂

I was thinking whilst I was taking one of my daughters to an appointment earlier @Boydie , depending on where you are in the country, I could do that oil change and plugs for you on any dry day? I’m in Glengormley

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Always have a quick look at these on autotrader in case an estate comes up though that does look well in saloon form. HTD lad

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
I’m saying naffin 😜😂 good to see your posting projects again mate an fair fks to tackling the welding etc. we welders paid for itself already. Health to steer

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Spotted this yesterday at the local diy after not seeing one for years.

20231023_130059.jpg

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
That looks gorgeous Blackie

Nice work on the patching, looks better than many a pro job I have seen.

If you need any advice, my sister had a 1.9 159 spoptswagon for 5 years, I replaced just about ever suspension component on it, amongst other things.

Get those sills sprayed with waxoil or lanoguard, they rot from the inside out!

Also, the big rear trailing arms like to rot, get them rust treated, waxoiled inside and out to preserve them. When I was doing a cracked rear spring on my sister's, my thumb went through the trailing arm!!!

Then we can talk lights ha ha, actually very easy in these. Are there halogen or xenon?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
That looks gorgeous Blackie

Nice work on the patching, looks better than many a pro job I have seen.

If you need any advice, my sister had a 1.9 159 spoptswagon for 5 years, I replaced just about ever suspension component on it, amongst other things.

Get those sills sprayed with waxoil or lanoguard, they rot from the inside out!

Also, the big rear trailing arms like to rot, get them rust treated, waxoiled inside and out to preserve them. When I was doing a cracked rear spring on my sister's, my thumb went through the trailing arm!!!

Then we can talk lights ha ha, actually very easy in these. Are there halogen or xenon?
Thanks man, yea the trailing arms were the first things that I checked when looking at the car.

Headlights are halogen mate and I plan to buy a replacement set after I get it on the road, so we can talk about them then lol.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Not much to report other than the fact the car is now up at @Laundrymike ’s shed, otherwise known as Team FFS HQ lol.

This was due to the weather seriously affecting my chances of getting any work done and my wife is feeling much better after her hysterectomy 6weeks ago, so I can travel a bit further afield again.

Mike is sooooo happy than I’m not spilling fluids but leaving little rust piles on his floor instead! 👀😝😂

IMG_1215.jpeg

Also more tools arriving for future jobs….

IMG_1216.jpeg

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
nothing more frustrating than having the tools and equipment but not being able to get stuck in

hope the mrs is ok

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
This is making me feel guilty about the jobs I need to do to cars.
Volvo. Service and Cambelt.
BMW. Cam Cover gasket.
Toyota. Put it back together.

Chances of doing any of these this year on the driveway? zero!