EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Alan is a wizard. Not just with a spray gun
Yeah, he's good at many things.

Fantastic. Enjoyed getting a good look around it on Friday evening, attention to detail is outstanding.
Thanks, glad you liked it

Do you have the colour code for that paint? Might get the MX5 re-sprayed after christmas and I love the colour of this.
Its meant to be Datsun/Nissan 307 Metallic Blue, however when Alan tried that paint colour he couldn't get it to match exactly. I've got two other Datsun colours to try out sometime, #115 and #903

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Intake and Intercooler piping is now finished :laughing: (y) :

Alan did a great Job on the welds (y) :

pipes1.jpg

Bay needs a good clean, problem with it being in a body shop is there's lots of dust.

pipes3.jpg

pipes4.jpg

pipes7.jpg

Was originally planning to have all the pipes polished, but I'm not sure now. I'm thinking I'll leave the intake pipes the way they are but not sure what to do with the intercooler pipes. I can either leave them how they are, have them brushed so they look like they do now but without the colouration from the welding, it will look like one piece of pipe until you look close and see the neat welds. I can have them mirror polished or I can do them in satin black.

One option for the intake piping was to get it ceramic coated silver, would be the same finish as my turbo elbows, while this may be effective I'm not sure its the nicest looking compared to the other options.

Opinions welcome.

Looks a wee bit cluttered down here, but that's really as neat as I can make a twin turbo setup look.
4e79b002-4f7f-4645-a516-96fc442d4ba1.jpg

I will be insulating the pipe where it is near the front turbo elbow, I have the gold insulation but I think it might not look right in which case I will probably go for a silver alternative. Also not really liking the way the water line runs to the front turbo, I would like to try and change this, possibly dong away with the hardline and fitting a longer braided line.

pipes5.jpg

Pipes6.jpg

Would have liked the bottom filter to sit closer to the top one, but it just isn't possible.

pipes8.jpg

My strut brace hits the twin turbo badge area, will try and sort this next time I've got her out, either by heating and bending or by welding an extension to the bottom of the original mounting point on the brace. Also got to get some custom long washers made for my camber adjuster bolts and draw up a blueprint for a custom radiator overflow tank. Other than that its nearly there, just some mapping.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Decided to get the intercooler pipes polished, while as individual items they look good how they are when you look at the bay as a whole they look unfinished. So they will be mirror polished and the intake pipes will be left how they are.

Very close to finished now, I'm hoping I can map it well enough to be able to drive it over to England for a proper map @ ProTuner, probably around Early April time, so long to wait.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Trailer it over man and have it ready for taxing on the 1st March!

I adore this car, the build and the attention to detail is perfect!

I thank you dearly...

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Trailer it over man and have it ready for taxing on the 1st March!
I'm back at work now and won't be home again until sometime near April. I might come home for a week sometime before then, but that will just be to sort out the details and do some basic mapping.

I adore this car, the build and the attention to detail is perfect!
Thanks very much. (y)

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Greg is bound to have a good map that would get it running that he could forward you ?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I've flicked back through the thread. Can't see what brakes/suspension its running???
They can be seen on several pages. Page 1, 2, 7 and 13. Custom coilovers based on BC units and, custom wilwood setup up front and a custom setup at the rear which is basically an 05 Mustang GT Setup.

Greg is bound to have a good map that would get it running that he could forward you ?
I'm sure he would, but I shouldn't need it, will set it up myself and let him check its good before heading over.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Ye. Should not be difficult to set up a decent afr. Be more cautious about timing though. But at least you know you have a strong engine anyway.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Yeah, only going to map it to around 4500rpm myself so will be easy, not worried about the timing, I have it all set very conservative and with not revving past 4500 theres no chance of det.

marcusplowman

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes
Would you not consider transporting it over? Would be a real shame to have anything go wrong driving it that distance before its fully setup :worried:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Would you not consider transporting it over? Would be a real shame to have anything go wrong driving it that distance before its fully setup :worried:
Would if I had to, but I don't have a trailer licence so as well as the extra expense I also have to find someone else who can legally drive it, and would need to borrow a land rover or something to tow it with, car and trailer are a bit heavy for the 306.

It will be fine, I can easily map it myself and I have the timing set really safe, if I wasn't happy enough with my setup I'd just get someone local to check it over first. Don't worry, I'll not be taking any chances.

marcusplowman

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes
I was actually thinking more along the lines one of the transport companies taking it on one of their lorries...Ive no idea what the costs involved are but it may work out the same if not cheaper than paying for the boat and fuel to drive the car yourself :grinning:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I was actually thinking more along the lines one of the transport companies taking it on one of their lorries...Ive no idea what the costs involved are but it may work out the same if not cheaper than paying for the boat and fuel to drive the car yourself :grinning:
I don't think it would be cheaper, I reckon it would cost more, plus then you are trusting your car with other people. Plus driving it there an back will be fun, and I'll take some fun roads through Wales on the return trip as I have had great fun on them in the Civic before.

Another "how did I miss this"! :grinning:

Always had a real soft spot for these cars (y)
this is amazing!!! I cant believe I have missed this.. great work
Thanks, quite easy to miss threads, I've missed a few good ones before.

Not much of an update, I have some photos from when I was home at Christmas however I am currently in Turkey and the internets not very good so I haven't been able to upload them to photobucket. It was only photos of the polished intercooler pipes which are now fitted and the diffuser plate below the intercooler so not much.

I'll be back again in March and I have just booked a tuning session @ Protuner for the 23rd March so I'm really looking forward to that, can't wait to have her finished.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Seeing this thread for the first time and it's my favourite by a long way.
I love these cars and all things 70s Japanese. You've managed to modify it very tastefully and just the way I'd want it myself.

Thanks for posting.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thanks a lot for the nice comments guys, appreciate it.

IMG-20150316-01181.jpg

IMG-20150316-01185.jpg

IMG-20150316-01187.jpg

Got home on Sunday night and today I got this running properly thanks to AIRFORCE1 @AI Autosport, she's now driving well enough for me to drive her to England this Sunday for my tuning appointment with Pro Tuner. Today was the first time I've driven her properly with the RB and even though I'm keeping low throttle and off boost its was still great fun.

Sorry about the sound and the shakiness, didn't have my go pro with me and my camera doesn't pick up sound well: