My RB26 260Z Project

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I thought your Civic was great but this build is on another level.

Credit to you.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Everytime I see this it gets better looking.

To me by far the best car on RMS, I'd take this over the M4's, and the RS4's.

Stunning!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

This is the best build on RMS, the best build I have seen in a long time for a matter of fact Ian.

Fantastic work, hats off to you.
Thanks choppy, means a lot coming from someone who does some great builds of his own.

I thought your Civic was great but this build is on another level.

Credit to you.
Yeah, this is a different level to the Civic, Civic had a much lower budget and was a good learning step towards this.

Think I seen this southbound on the A1 at Newry today. Lovely presence on the road.
You would have, me heading to the Dublin for the ferry in the morning. I think it does stand out more when you see it in person that you get from the photos.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Not the easiest few days, had several issues to sort before tuning could even begin.

First thing I discovered was when we did the boost leak check and found out there were some pinholes on the twin turbo outlet pipe where the weld had been ground down for polishing, so I needed to get that re-welded.

Didn't finish tuning on the first day until 2:40 at night and then more the next day.

DSCF8816.jpg

DSCF8831.jpg

Some heat in there:

DSCF8829.jpg

DSCF8820.jpg

Made 470HP and I think it was around 470lb/ft but I will check the exact figures and get a power graph when I go in tomorrow for some minor tweaks on the road, setting up some failsafes and knock control. There was a bit left in it but we were having traction issues on the dyno so left it at that.

Feels very very quick on the road and drives very nicely.

One of the earlier ramp runs, have better footage from my GoPro but my software isn't working right at the moment.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
So
How was Greg ? Happy with the choice, I know we chatted about it a lot

Any heat issues too ?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Gutted to have just missed when you were in the shop earlier @EF Ian , I heard it as you started it up to leave.

The guys were all busting to get a look at it, but we were too busy at the counter for anyone to get away.

Sounds incredible, such a great noise. :cool:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Great job, must be fantastic to have it running properly in time for the summer. (y)

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
So
How was Greg ? Happy with the choice, I know we chatted about it a lot

Any heat issues too ?
Greg was very great, he really knows his stuff and his map is lovely and smooth. He's really busy, tunes two cars just about every week, sometime 3, basically spends all his time mapping. Only bad thing I could say is he is too busy, so if things take longer than planned its hard to fit it all in, he did stay tuning until almost 3 in the morning the first day though and managed to fit me in on Thursday to finish things off on the road so he'd never leave stuck. The mans a very hard worker and his mapping skill and knowledge have to be some of the best in the UK.

No heat issues, cooling system was well up to it.

Gutted to have just missed when you were in the shop earlier @EF Ian , I heard it as you started it up to leave.

The guys were all busting to get a look at it, but we were too busy at the counter for anyone to get away.

Didn't know you were in or I'd have asked. Was after octane booster to make up for not being able to get V power here and BP ultimate being ****, running on V power Greg was able to add a bit more timing and you could notice the difference. I asked if you could order in some Miller one shot boost, can you get Silkolene Pro Boost?

What Millers oils do you have in stock? Out of oil and need it asap (like tomorrow) as I've got a small leak (will be fixed asap) and may need to top up if I do much driving. I need either CFS 10-50 or CFS 5-40, could also give the nanodrive a go.

She was in a bit of a state after doing near enough 1000 miles since her last wash, front wheels were black with brake dust.

Thanks , you should hear when you give her a rip on high boost. :scream:

Great job, must be fantastic to have it running properly in time for the summer. (y)
Yeah, although its got a few issues to sort

Diff spitting a bit of oil out the breather, leaking slightly from one of the seals
Oil leaks from the sump (needs removed and new liquid gasket applied)
Head drain hose needs replaced as it got burned through by touching the exhaust, need to route it differently.
Rattle from rear pass side needs checked
Sight wobble through steering at steady speed - need to work out the cause.
Brakes need skimmed - have never been true since fitting, common issues with wilwood discs.
Got to get speedo working
Indicators need fixed, stopped working and its beyond my electrical skill to fix.
Poly mount on turbo side is not taking the abuse well, may have to switch to semi solid one.

That's about it. All to be expected with a build like this, especially after the abuse its taken in the last week.

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Power curve I have from the Dyno shows 472HP and 490lbft however shes actually running more than that as during road tuning Greg was able to add more timing and there was a noticeable difference.

The thing really grips, don't even need to fit flares to run wider rubber, once the tyres are warm even full boost in first gear is no problem (snakes on cold rubber though) amazing how much grip it has for 225's.

Will get the power curve up once I get a chance.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Didn't know you were in or I'd have asked. Was after octane booster to make up for not being able to get V power here and BP ultimate being ****, running on V power Greg was able to add a bit more timing and you could notice the difference. I asked if you could order in some Miller one shot boost, can you get Silkolene Pro Boost?

What Millers oils do you have in stock? Out of oil and need it asap (like tomorrow) as I've got a small leak (will be fixed asap) and may need to top up if I do much driving. I need either CFS 10-50 or CFS 5-40, could also give the nanodrive a go.

We have some Millers octane booster ordered Ian, should have it on Monday or Tuesday. We don't do any Silkolene products I'm afraid.

I'll check the Millers for you in the morning, I think we might have CFS 10-50, but only in gallons.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Great, I'll be in for the octane booster next week.

Think I've fixed the worst of the oil leaks but need to go for a drive now to check. I'll probably change the oil anyway, this thing holds slightly over 8 litres though so that means two 5 litres. If you have these I'll probably take them also, saves postage from Opie oils and I'd rather give you the money than them.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Would it not have been better to just keep to side of caution. Than push the map on a fuel we don't get ?

Wouldn trust additive to bring it up to vpower standard.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Don't worry, its still safe, if I was going to be running V power there was still more to come, the fuel used on the dyno still had some standard 95 in it as at one point on the trip there I had no choice but to use it. I am running octane booster just as a precaution as extra octane can't hurt. Its also got a good knock control setup which will take out timing if it detects any knock.

Its not tuned for V power, just running octane booster because Greg recommends it as he really doesn't like Ultimate and when I said that's the best we can get in NI he suggested adding a bit of octane booster at each fill.

Wish we got V power here though, Greg was saying you could get a good amount of extra timing with V power compared to Ultimate and on V Power it runs a lot cooler than on Ultimate.

Last edited:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Yep. Yummy. Can run lot cooler with right map yet produce great power. Pity

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Well, my fun was short lived.

My pass side engine mount has quit, not fully, but enough to let the engine drop or rather tilt 4 or 5mm to that side, so now my downpipe is touching the chassis, better not to drive it until that's fixed, guess I need semi solid ones. Also my unused IAT sensor on the plenum has decided to go missing so now I have a boost leak until the bolt I just ordered turns up. That ones my fault though, forgot to tighten it as I had always planned to put a bolt in its place.

Need to secure my head unit better, during first gear acceleration today it came flying right out of its space on the dash, and that was only on low boost.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I guess there were always going to be the odd problem or two showing up as you turn it up, as it were.

Love the radio flying out, must be going ok then :grinning:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Yeah, there was always going to be some things needing work, thought my poly mount bushings would last longer though, they felt pretty solid.

It does go well though, serious acceleration, need to measure it sometime and see how much under 4 seconds I can do 0-60.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
That's incredibly quick. No wonder the head unit is escaping!
Lots of power and torque and not much weight, compare it to some of the modern sports cars that do 0-60 in under 4 seconds and the power to weight will be higher. I make my power to weight around 400hp per ton, for example a Lamborghini Murchialago LP640 is only 385.

awesome, some in car videos thanks (y)
Will do, once I fix my the poly bushing on my engine mount, its out of action until then. :sob:

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Its been many years since I've been hit in the balls with a radio :party: done some laughing at that Ian lol

These teething issues are nothing, especially when the enormity of the build is taken into consideration. Really looking forward to a look around this hopefully at some point.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Its been many years since I've been hit in the balls with a radio :party: done some laughing at that Ian lol
Not a bad thing I guess, shows it accelerates well.

These teething issues are nothing, especially when the enormity of the build is taken into consideration. Really looking forward to a look around this hopefully at some point.
Yeah, I had expected some issues, you still hope you get none though but as anyone with a car project will know it never works that way. Hope I can them sorted asap so I can drive and enjoy the car before heading back to work. Plus I wanted to get some decent photos taken by Reno_LV. Got some bushes ordered today and made an enquiry about some more solid ones.

Shows when setup they can grip real well too.
They sure can, tyres do need to be warm though. Not having the rear suspension setup too hard really helps it dig in.