never content?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
I would be similar, although the daily gets kept 3/4 years before I decide to change it,

The toys/weekender. I would usually tend to spy a car for sale that I've known the history of (usually though RMS) an make an offer on it.
I'll keep it and drive it until it needs work then I park/SORN it until I get round to doing the work it needs, in the mean time i'll usually buy another car for fun to keep me going, and as a result the one needing work gets pushed onto the back burner to fix another day.

Have a few cars sitting now, all needing work.
Mush get started soon.

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
I'm the complete opposite @big_pete
Have the Golf seven years and the 205 for 17 years.
I'll maybe change the Golf in three or fours years time but :grinning:

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Funny how different people can be, for me the idea of owning and driving a diesel car makes me bored just thinking about it, if I was told I could only drive a diesel I'd probably give up on cars and go back to bikes.

Maybe it's just the addiction to the boost and the turbo whistle, I don't know, but I love it and I never EVER thought I'd say that about a diesel.

I've always been a petrol man but I've never been able to afford to buy or run a turbo powered petrol car so I can't say if I'd love a petrol or diesel fueled turbo car. . . .

Maybe that's another thread debate topic lol

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
I definitely have itchy feet!!!

for a few years I couldn't hold onto cars...3x Evo's, MK2 RS focus, VXR nurburgring, with intermittent dervs.

For me it seems to go in cycles - quickish turbo petrol followed by a "sensible" derv. Would love a quickish petrol car again but have really lost interest in cars of late so don't want to spend more than 4.5k.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Can't hold back and tend to go over and over
5 s14a's then a s15
4 skylines
4 m3's

Not in that order. Constantly back and forward.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Maybe it's just the addiction to the boost and the turbo whistle, I don't know, but I love it and I never EVER thought I'd say that about a diesel.

I've always been a petrol man but I've never been able to afford to buy or run a turbo powered petrol car so I can't say if I'd love a petrol or diesel fueled turbo car. . . .

Maybe that's another thread debate topic lol

WAT?

A 1.9 PD is not and engine I'd describe as being in any way exciting lol.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I'm only content with the builds, after the the cars are finished I start to look elsewhere for the next project

The building of it is where the appeal lies for me.
Unfortunately I am so slow at doing stuff that I inevitably keep the car forever unfinished lol

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I've had 4 cars since I passed my test in 2002. Civic coupe for a few years and then the s14a. Dailied the S14a over the glenshane for 2/3 years then bought the Passat to do the mile munching. Upgraded the Passat to the merc and still have the S14 in storage. So out of 4 cars owned I still have 2 of them.

I hate changing cars. Absolutely hate it. I know exactly what had been replaced etc on the car I own, all the wee annoying things take a while to get sorted out and the last thing I want to do is start and repeat that again with the unknown factor.

Even the Passat that was 20 years old and was scrapped when it was done, was a piece of crap to anyone looking at it ..... But the bits that mattered were mechanically sound and all the wee foibles that annoyed me were sorted.

Horses for courses as they say.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Love changing my car regularly. Think the longest one Ive had was the 350z, the next one will be another long term, well in my eyes.

bennn

RMS Regular
Drives
a bike
I'm not even content with the imaginary two car garage of my dreams, it changes all the time. Sometimes it turns into a three car garage and then I'm annoyed at myself for diverting imaginary funds away from my imaginary dream house. Stresses me out.

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
I know a fella like this too. Car absolutely mint and just no idea what to do next as it's all been done lol
Easy. Build a garage (if necessary) and add the next car to the fleet. Or spend the money on something else.

There isn't one single car that will do everything I need.
I think this is true. There are great all-rounders but if someone can do two cars I think it's a better solution. Two runners (in case one breaks) and something lying around in bits seems like a sensible minimum to me.

PhilM

RMS Regular
after all this chat of how im committed to my weekend toy, i've noticed my lack of contentment is still going strong when it comes to parts :worried:

just sold my complete beautiful turbo kit clean off the car and starting to build up a different kit!!

which means i only bought the the current kit to run the engine in!!

parts are worse than cars sometimes!

Phil

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I'd be something similar but if I start to get bored or restless I'll just change something. Put sounds in, change wheels or suspension etc... probably the reason I hated my 745 bm as I either couldn't get bits or couldn't afford the bits I wanted so got rid after 18 months other than that I'm a minimum of 4 years when I buy something

Paul.

RMS Regular
Odd that after getting your dream car you're not content with it. Maybe time to make a few changes to it? Perhaps it wasn't your dream car as much as it was your canvas for the dream car. There's a thread on PistonHeads where a guy has invested countless hours into honing his E46 M3 into exactly the car he wants it to be. It's pretty inspiring, even if I have nowhere near the skills, creativity or connections to do what he's doing.

I'm content with what I have, but then it is my first car and the fleet could expand in future. I've wanted what I have for a very long time and with it being a first, I don't think I had expectations for it to live up to.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
I have had one before. After not driving it for a few days and driving today again I am perfectly content, was just being silly lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
As car enthusiasts I expect none of us are ever content to some extent. I usually keep my cars for a year or so before I want a change. However I'm intending to keep the Golf for 2/3 years this time.

WAT?

A 1.9 PD is not and engine I'd describe as being in any way exciting lol.

In Blackies defence, it depends what you're used to. A 1.9 turbo would seem quick if you've never driven anything any more powerful. When I got the GTi, folk said it was slow and it had to be mapped, but again I wasn't used to anything quicker and its grand. It's all relative.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I take your point but it's still an engine you couldn't describe as exciting. I drove one for 4 years :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.