Nova GTE (Courtenay 2.0L 16V Turbo)

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
@amg306 I did indeed sell you a set from my old GTE. ... went into your TD iirc! This is another pair of front's, can't even remember where they came from tbh!

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
We've Insured this car back in the day :laughing:

I was a member of the VPCC (Vauxhall Peformance car club), I had an Astra GTE (in between the VW's) back then and knew Jon Shields and Mark Watts quite well. It was a really good club, with plenty of events (inc. VBOA Billing & Trentham Park) but the firm (JBA) who ran it went out of business and the club dwindled, until two years later in conjunction with Vauxhall themselves, Kevin Grice relaunched the club as the Vauxhall Sports Car Club.

Greenlight were the approved Insurance provider for the VPCC and even twenty years on we still cover some of the guys that we did back in the day. Great nostalgia.

In terms of Mark Watts, we had also bought 2 Vauxhall company cars back in the day from Mark, who used to work for a Vauxhall main dealer in Thetford before joining Jon Shields at Courtenay turbos (autosport).

The Green nova was Jon's project car and he spent an awful lot of time, money and know how on it - his Nova became a bit of a blueprint for the 2.0 16v and 2.0 16v turbo red top engine conversions. Mark followed suit and did a very similar thing with his Nova.

Your new purchase has got a good pedigree and if you don't mind the nostalgic pilgrimage to North Walsham (Norfolk) for servicing, i'm sure you'll get a great reaction from Mark, Jon and the guys at Courtenay's.

It's obvious you love these cars and it's found another great home.

Very good work Keith.

Kind regards & best wishes

Tony

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
Very nice Keith, these Nova's are becoming a bit of an obsession!

I've owned at least one Nova since I started driving 15 years ago. The values are starting to finally shoot up now which is good and bad. Good because I actually own something worth good money, but bad when I need parts.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Lovely Keith ... Stood the test of time for sure!

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
Will this change any of your plans for the blue car now?

It shouldn't. I spent a lot of the weekend working on both cars. The shell is almost ready to go for welding the arches in next weekend. Then I'll send it for paint early in the new year.

It has dented the funds but hopefully I can still have the blue one done for billing. I'd love to take both but you know how expensive the boat is

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
It shouldn't. I spent a lot of the weekend working on both cars. The shell is almost ready to go for welding the arches in next weekend. Then I'll send it for paint early in the new year.

It has dented the funds but hopefully I can still have the blue one done for billing. I'd love to take both but you know how expensive the boat is
I will drive the purple one sure for you, purely to help you out

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I remember reading the Max Power and the Total Vauxhall stories on this car back in the day. It really did set the trend for many conversions ever since, not all good I may add! Some real rash ones were being built by a well known Ballyclare man, but as each one he did the standard improved to be fair to him!

I had just started driving that year and I was driving a mk2 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Pop Plus and had lofty illusions of creating something beauty, best I could do on an apprentice mechanics wage and some mates help was fit a 1.6 pushrod from a mk1 xr2 to it, on the four speed box, standard milk bottle top brakes and rolly-polly suspension lol.

It was the rod with Hammerite yellow bumpers, blue tiger skin seat covers and Team Benetton coloured steering wheel and gear knob! Lol

Anyway, health to enjoy Keith!

Last edited:

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
I remember reading the Max Power and the Total Vauxhall stories on this car back in the day. It really did set the trend for many conversions ever since, not all good I may add! Some real rash ones were being built by a well known Ballyclare man, but as each one he did the standard improved to be fair to him!

I had just started driving that year and I was driving a mk2 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Pop Plus and had lofty illusions of creating something beauty, best I could do on an apprentice mechanics wage and some mates help was fit a 1.6 pushrod from a mk1 xr2 to it, on the four speed box, standard milk bottle top brakes and rolly-polly suspension lol.

It was the rod with Hammerite yellow bumpers, blue tiger skin seat covers and Team Benetton coloured steering wheel and gear knob! Lol

Anyway, health to enjoy Keith!

Cool :grinning: ultimately this car inspired me loads. I met Mark at trax in 2002 when he still owned the car, back then I owned NDZ1331 and it was still a 1.2 8v. I remember leaving that show and wanting a 2.0L Turbo immensely!

Dannymcc

RMS Regular
I was up along the side of this a couple of Sundays ago at the traffic lights just of the Urney Rd, I thought it was you driving it but wasn't sure after I seen you where rebuilding the other car. Definitely in good hands now and will be nice to see it out and about!

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
I was up along the side of this a couple of Sundays ago at the traffic lights just of the Urney Rd, I thought it was you driving it but wasn't sure after I seen you where rebuilding the other car. Definitely in good hands now and will be nice to see it out and about!

I brought it home last sunday, would have been in strabane around 8pm (ish)

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
This is awesome Keith - i think i remember the Green Nova making an appearance on Top Gear back in the day and I loved that car. I had/have it on VHS back home im sure.

mikes78

Drives
fiat
Seen the shell of a GSI Nova in a field the other day in Omagh or somewhere, funnily enough.

Damn shame..

car life

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
When I seen the thread title I though my A 16V TB was bought lol

Must dig out the old mags and see if I have the one with this in it