Once common cars that you don't see anymore

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
So, what is the ACTUAL story with all the Saxos and 106s that used to be like literally, everywhere?

I always put it down to the fact that they were accessible to first time buyers and ended up in hedges but I honest to god cannot remember seeing one in like, years. I have seen more 4g civics and crx's than I have Saxos in the past 5 years and those usually just Thanos themselves into dust

Another was the wee Suzuki Swift GTi (the proper one with THAT 1.3 engine)............those were absolutely crackers..........I have never seen a more highly strung engine out of the factory. Mate had a stock one bar a Janspeed exhaust and it just spat flames on demand. I do appreciate that they were made out of KitKat wrappers to be fair.

J

Rear axles killed them. Finding 2nd hand ones was difficult so it was easier just to buy another 106. Lol

I had two and they were great wee cars. So cheap to run

purplea4T

RMS Regular
So, what is the ACTUAL story with all the Saxos and 106s that used to be like literally, everywhere?

I always put it down to the fact that they were accessible to first time buyers and ended up in hedges but I honest to god cannot remember seeing one in like, years. I have seen more 4g civics and crx's than I have Saxos in the past 5 years and those usually just Thanos themselves into dust

Another was the wee Suzuki Swift GTi (the proper one with THAT 1.3 engine)............those were absolutely crackers..........I have never seen a more highly strung engine out of the factory. Mate had a stock one bar a Janspeed exhaust and it just spat flames on demand. I do appreciate that they were made out of KitKat wrappers to be fair.

J
The faster variants liked to crash. A LOT. AND BADLY.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Didn't they also rust like buggery underneath while staying completely rot free up top?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I took the boot matt out of my saxo to clean it. I saw a little glimmer of daylight at the boot seam. 15 minutes later both seams down each side were completely gone I stopped poking at the back seats. I stopped using the boot too I was honestly scared it was going to fall out. Also had a huge hole in the front inner wing. It looked solid but I dropped a screwdriver through it I think. Sold it straight after that. Looked perfect outside.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
CDF73880-3F03-4142-8C0E-E87593F74D64.jpeg

used to be everywhere

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I dunno why, but I would love a Renault 4 van. I had a yellow matchbox post van version of one as a kid.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Mk1 Megane coupe. Saw 1 this morning. I remember Sam Duff having a class navy one when we were at school. Ally or G Mac (I think) had a whopper flip paint one too.

It’s strange how there’s still loads of 206’s about from the same era, but not the same amount of Meganes.

bill

Banned
Mk1 Megane coupe. Saw 1 this morning. I remember Sam Duff having a class navy one when we were at school. Ally or G Mac (I think) had a whopper flip paint one too.

It’s strange how there’s still loads of 206’s about from the same era, but not the same amount of Meganes.
Theres a blue one on the Woodstock rd a 2000 i have seen it a couple of times i had a 1998 model the electric rear wndows

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI

My mum got one new in '97 and I bought it off her a few years later then handed it down to my sister. It lasted about 6 years in total before being scrapped with not even 100k on the clock. Awful car and put me off Renault for life.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Few treats today but too slow for the camera. MK1 Sierra 5 door, C reg spotted near abbey centre, MK3 (I think) Capri on Donegal pass and a lesser spotted MK3 Golf 5 door at Queen's. All appeared to be in regular use. I've seen the Capri a few times before.

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
Few treats today but too slow for the camera. MK1 Sierra 5 door, C reg spotted near abbey centre, MK3 (I think) Capri on Donegal pass and a lesser spotted MK3 Golf 5 door at Queen's. All appeared to be in regular use. I've seen the Capri a few times before.
Sky blue sierra