Peak RMS - Mk5 Golf GTi

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Stupid VW radio f**ked in the pile and fancy china special installed. It does wireless CarPlay flawlessly which is all I care about. Gotta hand it to them. Plug and play.

DD0800C1-EE1A-4465-B917-E0B1FB00B783.jpeg
ABD18B38-EE6D-4E34-9278-6D210FC8A564.jpeg

I got some MFSW controls and a cruise stalk so some vcds awaits.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Can’t remember exactly now, but you might need a different steering wheel control module for the buttons.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Definitely agree with that @Boydie

What was the issue with the existing HU other than no full carplay @pablo ? RNS models should still have decent connectivity.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

What was the issue with the existing HU other than no full carplay @pablo ? RNS models should still have decent connectivity.

True, but the problem is you need the MDI adapter etc to connect anything, it’s not just a case of plugging a USB cable directly in :worried:.

Same with Bluetooth.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo

Nah it was ****. No BT and maps weren’t working.
Can’t remember exactly now, but you might need a different steering wheel control module for the buttons.
Aye I have that ordered too. High line steering module.
That looks great and fits well. What way did you sort the wireless car play.
All just worked. Plug it in once to the USB port then wireless from then on.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
car is mint bar a big stone ding on the passenger wing so managed to get one from a lad in ballymena breaking a car for £40 in the right colour. score :grinning:

spanners out, lets go. just need to adjust the bottom at the A pillar a little, only noticed it was in a bit afterwards.

2021-12-10 11.33.24.jpg
2021-12-10 11.32.03.jpg
2021-12-10 15.04.27.jpg

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Previous owner near had a melt down when the stone chip incident occurred .I’m guessing he told you the story of how the dent got there .he was devastated when it happened .Great that you got an identical wing sorted ,saves you a few £££ for sure .

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Previous owner near had a melt down when the stone chip incident occurred .I’m guessing he told you the story of how the dent got there .he was devastated when it happened .Great that you got an identical wing sorted ,saves you a few £££ for sure .
He did aye. Was a handy swap over to be fair and the it was the lad himself that found the wing for me. It’s a slight shade out against the door but I’ll never notice so will do just fine. Someday I’ll get it blown over but no big panic.

My cruise stack and module arrived so that’s next on the list. And I’ve the MFSW controls sitting here too. Might need a new airbag cable for the steering controls tho will know when I remove the airbag.

Also need to dig out vcds from somewhere.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
He did aye. Was a handy swap over to be fair and the it was the lad himself that found the wing for me. It’s a slight shade out against the door but I’ll never notice so will do just fine. Someday I’ll get it blown over but no big panic.

My cruise stack and module arrived so that’s next on the list. And I’ve the MFSW controls sitting here too. Might need a new airbag cable for the steering controls tho will know when I remove the airbag.

Also need to dig out vcds from somewhere.
Would a proper machine polish of the door and won't and bonnet and bumper etc help the match?
Or does that not really change much?

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Stupid VW radio f**ked in the pile and fancy china special installed. It does wireless CarPlay flawlessly which is all I care about. Gotta hand it to them. Plug and play.

View attachment 343621View attachment 343622
I got some MFSW controls and a cruise stalk so some vcds awaits.

I’m after a new Head Unit for my mk5 as well. There seems to be a million to choose from. Do you have a link to this one?

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I’m after a new Head Unit for my mk5 as well. There seems to be a million to choose from. Do you have a link to this one?

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
mostly been concentrating on the 911 recently but ages ago I bought a MFSW, cruise stalk and steering module to support the above. Finally got some time to get them fitted and coded up. Was right and cheap too:

MFSW inc buttons and airbag loom: £40 locally
Mk6 cruise stalk and steering module: £45 off a FB group breaker
So £85 for cruise control + MFSW. I only needed the stalk for CC but with the buttonless android HU the steering wheel volume controls are right and handy.

I wanted to fit the steering wheel buttons to the GTI wheel but ended up throwing the GT wheel on. Its NOT staying but because the GTI wheel didnt come with buttons I need to trim out space for them from the foam. A job for another day.

2022-01-19 12.23.12.jpg

2022-01-19 12.23.56.jpg

2022-01-19 12.27.04.jpg

2022-01-19 12.29.18.jpg

2022-01-19 12.31.03.jpg

2022-01-19 12.42.13.jpg

2022-01-19 13.58.50.jpg

Last edited:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
another wee job today - passenger door lock was intermittently not unlocking which was annoying AF so replaced the locking mechanism. Could have messed around trying to diagnose the motor etc but for £25 for a new one, nah.

mk5 golf has a removable outer doorskin which I had no idea about so hooray no doorcard messing etc.

of course it was unlucky day and I let the skin fall over and give a ton of little scratches. Dangit. Hopefully all buff out.

2022-01-20 12.20.04.jpg

1642687224695.png

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Looks a bit like the result of one of the "three stooges" TG car challenges there without the door skin - like when James used Jeremy's door skin to make a bash plate for his own car or whatever :innocent:

Handy feature that!

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Good jab. Missing cruise is annoying nowadays!

Ps whats the craic with the blue on dials?