Porsche 911 Carrera 2

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Aw man, I absolutely love the new steering wheel! That's perfect!
Fabulous motor, mate.
Cheers
Cooks

baron

RMS Regular
Awesome cars, I miss mine so much, anything you need to know about one pm me, never have I been so up an personal with a car than I have with the 996.

Oh also got an Alcantara dash with silver inserts and discreet red double stitch over the binnacle, go well with the Gt3 seats, I’ve also genuine Recaro frames if you need a set for the new seats.

baron

RMS Regular
This is the dash, suit the race car feel and match the steering wheel :p

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 177

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Ah balls. Didn't really want to go too far away from stock as like to keep it easy enough to put back to standard for the purists etc but that dash looks class!

This is the dash, suit the race car feel and match the steering wheel :p

Looks nice that, pm me how much you need for it and I'll do some man maths 😎

baron

RMS Regular
I’m sorry... but I’m not haha, we are all experts at man maths by this stage.

The best thing is you still have your standard dash to swap it back for the purist down the line but get to enjoy the lush Alcantara dash for your ownership, even the red stitch matches the seat belts on point, I’ll pm you 🙈

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Now that I'm home, have spent the quarantine period getting stuck into the 911 again.

Had bought one of these deeper baffled motorsport sumps from FVD which come highly recommended. The early non X51 sumped 996s had a problem with oil starvation on long sweeping left hand corners, mainly when running slicks and under prolonged track use, but you can never be too sure so was done as a precaution.

Lovely piece of kit, need to remember and stick in an extra 0.9litres of oil now!

Next job is to try and get the entire exhaust off without any bolts breaking in the head. Unheard of apparently 🙈

20200720_113224.jpg
20200720_121447.jpg
20200720_150057.jpg
20200720_160526.jpg

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I thought the PO put a full exhaust on your car, but that looks like the original manifolds. Good luck!

Maybe you should buy the Stomski jig and then lend it to me when you're done...!!

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
I thought the PO put a full exhaust on your car, but that looks like the original manifolds. Good luck!

Maybe you should buy the Stomski jig and then lend it to me when you're done...!!

He did, 4 years ago! Have the receipt for manifolds also and I think they've been changed but they're not in great condition. As per the rest of the exhaust really, would put you off buying designtek stuff!

I'm confident in some of the bolts, one or two look very furry though 😬

Hopefully won't need to resort to the jig lol

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Not as bad as I thought @Andy888 😬 Only 2 snapped bolts!

10 of the bolts came loose no issue, though I was dubging myself every time I felt it crack and go loose as thought I'd just be left with a bolt head 😂 The 2 that snapped were the sorriest looking pair, very ropey to begin with and the 13mm just crumbled them. 12mm did the same so an 11mm was hammered on which still wouldn't grip. In the end an E10 I think it was did the job, but sheared instantly.

Seem to have plenty thread left to grab hold of so have left them soaking overnight. If not I'll get the drill sharpened 🤮

To be honest the worst bolts and the most stupid design ever goes to the back box mounting bracket ones! Impossible to pull the bolt out the top, and also impossible to remove the entire bracket to get said bolt out as its bolted to the top of the engine, which needs dropped to get to them 😂 New bolt will be fed in from the bottom! Had to hack them to pieces with the air chisel/grinder combo.

20200721_175230.jpg
20200721_155438.jpg
20200721_175015.jpg
20200721_175003.jpg

This is the stupid back box mounting bracket, one long bolt at front and one small bolt at rear. Sh1te design.

20200721_155455.jpg

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Nice work!! I believe it’s 17/64 cobalt bits you need to use for drilling them out. But check that! I got one of those Laser stud extractors. Might be worth a punt before you resort to drilling. YouTube suggests the technique involves tightening and loosening motions so as not to shear the bolt.

Are you going for stainless manifold bolts or titanium studs?

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Nice work!! I believe it’s 17/64 cobalt bits you need to use for drilling them out. But check that! I got one of those Laser stud extractors. Might be worth a punt before you resort to drilling. YouTube suggests the technique involves tightening and loosening motions so as not to shear the bolt.

Are you going for stainless manifold bolts or titanium studs?

Will definitely go for stainless or titanium if I can find some. Did see someone on the forum doing them but seem to have stopped now.

Cheers for the drill bit info, will have a look and get some ordered. Funny enough, the remnants of another drill bit fell out from behind one of the bolts, so I'm guessing they had fun putting that exhaust on 4 years ago 😂

Going to head out here and see if my extractor will shift them 🤞🏻

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Awesome! You’re making some great improvements!

Get yourself some of this:AluBright Deoxidiser (500ml) RG71-500

It will strip all the white oxidation off the alloy arms and subframe. They also do a spray on clear sealer for once it’s clean and dry. It transformed the underside of my 911

Cheers for that, looks a great job. Ordered some there so will get it done before car comes off the ramp 👍🏻

Over winter the plan is to get the braces and bits and pieces off and powdercoated, and tidy up the underneath properly.