Reality of EV...

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
EV's definitely polarise opinion and people get very excited and annoyed by them like my brother who is a mechanic and constantly sends me reports of why they are bad and I should not be driving one (definitely not funded by oil companies I must add). My advice is buy the car that suits your lifestyle and needs & I have been driving EV's for 5 years and 90k now primarily as I like the way they drive but getting 1500 miles for £20 at the moment is a bonus.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I would say he is on Click Energy overnight tariff at 4.7p per unit. On those calcs it’s maybe even a bit less than £20 depending on how efficient the car is. The same £1500 miles at 40 mpg is closer to £300 in an ICE car.
Yeah, car is doing 3.5 miles per Kwh over winter so; 1500 miles divided by 3.5 = 429 Kwh x 4.57 pence = £19.59 so around £20 quid.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
After 3 years and 34k miles of ownership my Model 3 has done an average of 220 miles per full charge. Thats 30%+ less than the official range but I don't drive it sympathetically to say the least and I use the cabin pre-heating and cooling almost daily. Its never left me in a bind, although I have got down to 1% on a few occasions!

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
How many kWh does it take to charge the car to do those 220 miles?
In my current car that would take 55Kwh and price varies; from solar £0, from E7 overnight £8.28 and daytime rate would be £19.30. Charging via public chargers much more expensive.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It costs about £30 for us to charge the Etron going by the new rates, we are paying approx 35p per kWh and it’s has a useable batteries of around 85kwh. Looking to change to a different company it tarriff. We looked at the E7 one but the times are rubbish 2am-8am or something like that when nothing is on in the house. 1 charge does is about 10 days

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It costs about £30 for us to charge the Etron going by the new rates, we are paying approx 35p per kWh and it’s has a useable batteries of around 85kwh. Looking to change to a different company it tarriff. We looked at the E7 one but the times are rubbish 2am-8am or something like that when nothing is on in the house. 1 charge does is about 10 days

It's 2 to 9 over summer and 1 to 8 over winter. I think it's around 15p per kw

big cyril

RMS Regular
Nearly three years and 32k miles with the etron now, it’ll probably go back next month. In that time it’s had zero faults, been an excellent family car and the range has actually increased a bit. Next car will also be fully electric.

davyk31

RMS Regular

Why do you say the times are rubbish? Charge overnight is ideal and set the washing machine, dishwasher etc to come on at 7.00 so they run on the cheap tariff too.

Marc

RMS Moderator
Why do you say the times are rubbish? Charge overnight is ideal and set the washing machine, dishwasher etc to come on at 7.00 so they run on the cheap tariff too.
Also, is the difference not like £0.01 per kWh for the day time element?

Saves me a fortune being on an EV tarriff.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Also, is the difference not like £0.01 per kWh for the day time element?

Saves me a fortune being on an EV tarriff.

Think it’s nearly twice the price during the day? But not actually that much more expensive than the normal day rate.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Day time rate is a lot higher than night rate but as you say there really isn’t much difference between the day rate on an EV tariff and a standard day rate. If you can be organised to run appliances on the night rate then it has to save money even without charging a car.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Up at 6.30 with the wee ones 🤦‍♂️, wife is away to work at 7.30 though in the EV. I’m sure the car can be set to charge at night though. Bit of organising and it should be doable on the e7 tarriff

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
EV and/or the EV charger will have a timer on it most likely. Most dishwashers/washing machines have time delay on them, check the manuals/all the buttons you've never used before :grinning:

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
My dishwasher in my first house had a delay button it, and that was light years ago.