Reality of EV...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
For appliances it's usually a time delay rather than setting an actual time. Like "+4" or "+6" or whatever. But it will be there on a washing machine or a dish washer. I don't know if it really makes any difference for that stuff, but not hard to do if you have a night rate.

The car or the charger will definitely have a timer setting somewhere. Might be buried in some stupid app or deep inside some random menus, but it will be there.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Podpoint and the car itself have timers.

If you're charging once a week or less then you can just top it up every night on the timer.

The one risk area is if for example Mrs Coog needs a mid day top up for whatever reason and then doesn't know how to stick the charger into 'boost' mode to get a squirt into the battery there and then. That's down to her point blank refusal at time of install to actually learn how the system works and not technically difficult at all.

Doing it on the car itself is also fairly straight forward but not required as it can all be done in the charger anyway.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’d never even heard of the time delay thing on appliances :joy:

Our charger is one of the very early NIE ones and is about 10 year old so no app for it but the etron will have an app or we can just top it up each morning for an hour or so on the e7 rate

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I'm looking at the Power NI EV tariffs right now and debating whether it's worth it - my wife's EV can be charged in work during the week so at most we might do 1 charge per home at week, maybe 2 at a push during weeks she's off work - she doesn't do mega miles, mostly daily commutes.

If the EV tariff was just a cheaper night rate I'd go for it without a thought, but it changes the standard day rate from 26.7p to 33p or thereabouts, and with us sometimes working from home during the day and not needing to charge the vehicle daily .................. I thought it might end up actually pushing up our bills going by that higher day rate.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Break the spreadsheet out and see if it works. It’s not for everyone.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Just got an email from SSE today to say the government backing has stopped. No mention of price drop on their end though.

Marc

RMS Moderator
Think it’s nearly twice the price during the day? But not actually that much more expensive than the normal day rate.
Ah, yes the daytime rate on the EV/E7 tariff is double the cost during the day.

But the daytime rate of the EV tariff is only about 1p more than the 24/7 tariff.

So the point about not changing to the EV tariff as it makes the day time use more expensive is nullified as if you’re charging at all during the night you will make a great saving. I would go as far as saying that everyone would be better off on an EV tariff Vs the standard rate.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Agree with above. If anyone can make some use of the night tariff it’s got to make sense.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Ah, yes the daytime rate on the EV/E7 tariff is double the cost during the day.

But the daytime rate of the EV tariff is only about 1p more than the 24/7 tariff.

So the point about not changing to the EV tariff as it makes the day time use more expensive is nullified as if you’re charging at all during the night you will make a great saving. I would go as far as saying that everyone would be better off on an EV tariff Vs the standard rate.
I went through the same thing, free charging in my work but would charge the odd time, girl from PowerNI actually took them time to do some sums and the EV tariff worked out quite a bit dearer for an occasional user. We just stuck with the standard rates.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I went through the same thing, free charging in my work but would charge the odd time, girl from PowerNI actually took them time to do some sums and the EV tariff worked out quite a bit dearer for an occasional user. We just stuck with the standard rates.

Think that's where I'm at, did some basic sums last night and for the little charging we do at home it wouldn't really be worth changing our tariff and putting us on a higher day rate.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Think that's where I'm at, did some basic sums last night and for the little charging we do at home it wouldn't really be worth changing our tariff and putting us on a higher day rate.

Do you get cheap charging elsewhere?

Done my sums for my wife's EV as she is doing Downpatrick to Belfast 5 days a week with no access to other chargers so the night rate always seemed to work out for us.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Do you get cheap charging elsewhere?

Done my sums for my wife's EV as she is doing Downpatrick to Belfast 5 days a week with no access to other chargers so the night rate always seemed to work out for us.

Yes, available in work and my wife also has a fairly short commute (no majorly long journeys on a regular basis) so at most the ID4 might only need two charges a week - both of which could be done at work most of the time. There will obviously be exceptions or times we go away in it and do more miles, but by and large it doesn't sound like it's worth changing our tariff.

Ghost

RMS Regular
Any recommendations for a home charging point? Collecting a VW ID3 at end of September and want to get one sorted.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Basically all chargers are very similar in that they are just really a switch and the car internals are the charger. I have a Zappi which works well with my ID.3 chosen mainly as it handles solar well and I may get solar in the future. It’s quite a large unit and if you want smaller I use an Easee One at work which is also perfect.
Where are you located as installer is maybe more important than choice of charger to make sure you get a reputable job done.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I got caught up with how they look initially and bought an Andersen, which is weathering terribly at my house. I installed a Zappi at work which is great.

I now have a supplier who does these rather cool carbon style units, untethered. Good value too. If anyone is interested drop me a PM.

IMG_0069.jpeg

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
You definitely want a tethered version so you don't have to get your cable out of the car every time you charge.

Absolutely! I have one an OhMe Pro tethered and would do my head in having to go to the boot etc every time where my tethered cable is on a reel on the wall beside the charger.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
You could always get an extra cable if one isn't included? Just comes down to which option works out cheapest.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You could always get an extra cable if one isn't included? Just comes down to which option works out cheapest.

Most untethered options don't have cable management either. So if you leave the lead in you've to find somewhere for it, or drag it into the garage / shed etc

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Hang it on a peg? 😇

Just a matter of what works out best I guess. Or how easy it is to swap cable if you change car or get another one. Or whatever. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

You definitely want a dedicated cable for the charger though.

Ghost

RMS Regular
Do you have solar panels and who installed it? Any warranty?
Basically all chargers are very similar in that they are just really a switch and the car internals are the charger. I have a Zappi which works well with my ID.3 chosen mainly as it handles solar well and I may get solar in the future. It’s quite a large unit and if you want smaller I use an Easee One at work which is also perfect.
Where are you located as installer is maybe more important than choice of charger to make sure you get a reputable job done.
Who did u get it off, who installed it and how much? Lol