Regaining a Personal Plate After a Death

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
To cut a long story short, my girlfriend's mum passed away last year and has a personal plate that we want to regain. Due to he nature of her passing there was no will. Any info on how to regain the plate would be appreciated. Cheers!

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I’d say the next of kin would be best speaking to the DVLA to confirm the process of changing it into another persons name.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Everything is quite complicated so far with other things, I don't see this being a breeze.

The family are happy for me to take the plate myself as nobody else really has any interest, I've offered to buy it but they want to give me it. Obviously any fees I will be taking care of. ... and they'll be getting money weather they fall out with me or not. They've had a enough to deal with.

Last edited:

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
The pimp is correct above. The process doesn't care who 'owns' the plate as long as you have the retention cert with the retention cert number. It's simple.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
But the plate will then remain in her mum's name?

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
to retain it and put it on another vehicle, you only need the V778 retention certificate. If it were in use, you'd need the certificate of entitlement. Put in on your car and drive on.

pablo

RMS Moderator
all you need is a number off the cert you have and you can stick it on anything that meets the requirements (age/mot etc).

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
In the event of a lost retention certificate, is there away to get another?

Waiting on her Granda returning home to find it for us.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

All depends on how honest you want to be! Write a letter from named person to DVLa and explain it has been lost.

Or go through proper way using executer of will, death certs etc, which in your case sounds like it could be more hassle than its worth.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS

how long has it been on retention? easiest way if its relatively recently is to search for the email - cert number is in there and thats all thats needed.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
how long has it been on retention? easiest way if its relatively recently is to search for the email - cert number is in there and thats all thats needed.

It would have been on her mum's email address though.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Just an update on this.. the other half rang up Swansea and they told her she needed a grant of probate, death certificate and a letter explaining that her mum had passed and they don't have the retention cert.

So we have done all of the above, hoping there'll be no complications with just her signature as her sister is also on the grant of probate, but is at uni in England.

So when I get the retention cert, is it just as simple as moving it onto my car or if we include in the letter my reg/chassis number, will they automatically move it onto my car? Or do I have to wait on the retention cert arriving then move onto my car?

I've never had to do this before and have no real knowledge of it.

Cheers.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Should have just transferred it online and said nothing

We dont have the retention cert. We have all the pieces of the puzzle now to get one sent out, but then it's transferring it to my car and putting it in my name that I don't understand.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Glad to hear you’re getting it all sorted. I had the retention cert after I went through a similar scenario but felt it would be best to go about it the proper way in case anyone contested me having the plate

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
So we fear the plate is more likely gone. Heard back from the DVLA and apparently her mum sold the car onto a dealership with the reg, tried to get it back twice but failed.

We had no idea about any of this. The DVLA said there was a form online we could fill in to find out where the plate is but csnt give personal details of ownership of the plate. I plan on trying that and possibly ringing the dealership. I dare say if I find it now I'll have to pay and it's worth between 1000-1400 judging by similar plates online.

I think we've no hope but would just love to get the plate back.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
So we fear the plate is more likely gone. Heard back from the DVLA and apparently her mum sold the car onto a dealership with the reg, tried to get it back twice but failed.

We had no idea about any of this. The DVLA said there was a form online we could fill in to find out where the plate is but csnt give personal details of ownership of the plate. I plan on trying that and possibly ringing the dealership. I dare say if I find it now I'll have to pay and it's worth between 1000-1400 judging by similar plates online.

I think we've no hope but would just love to get the plate back.
That’s crap ,real pity as I’m sure your partner would like to have her mums plate .

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
So I tracked the plate down to the place where her mum traded the old car into. Waiting on a call back from the boss as it's now legally his plate.

Now let's see what he's made of. Will he give it over as he was reluctant too when her mum was alive? Despite the fact her mum disputed it. Will he charge me for it? Will he hand it over at all?

He's supposed to call me back. If he hasn't by the end of the week I'll be chasing him.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.