Regaining a Personal Plate After a Death

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
id likely report it stolen to psni, hi the dva with crime ref number and hope they reassign it to you...

you aint going to get anywhere with the dealer

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
It was left with her Dad, he knows someone in Agnews who had a working relationship with the boss at the other dealership. After his conversation came back with "I'm not running a charity, if the family want the plate back they will pay £XXXX for it."
what a scummy c*nt

name and shame them, and plaster it all over social media.

know anyone in media who could take on your story?

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Keep calm! Be civil. You're not in the position of power unfortunately as he has something you want, and you have nothing he wants.

I assume this dealer tosser is older than you? Can you take your boss with you, or someone of similar calibre let's call it, to this asshole? Might help get some kind of decency out of the guy if there is a fellow he can relate to, and he realises word will get around about his actions.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
I'm going down tomorrow with her dad to see if we can catch him off guard. He's better with words than me. I just get hot headed and I'll mess it up. So I'll just be there for moral support and try my best to keep my mouth shut. (wish me luck lol)

At the minute I'm not naming him because I haven't got any results one way or another. I wouldn't advise anyone I know to go to them for sure, but too soon to be at the social media name and shame game. Don't really know anyone in social media directly but I'm sure there are ways and means.

Her dad says he actually owns the plate because it was in his name, becuase he bought it for her mum. So it wasn't actually hers to trade in apparently. So we shall see.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Her dad says he actually owns the plate because it was in his name, becuase he bought it for her mum. So it wasn't actually hers to trade in apparently. So we shall see.

I can guarantee that is 100% incorrect. All plates are owned by the government, you simply pay for the right to display it on your car. This is how the government can take the registrations back if you misuse it (illegal plates misrepresenting letters/number etc). Also if you give some thing away as a gift you lose all control over it.

Remember that you will never know 100% what was said by the sales man to her mum and vice versa re the plate so be careful on what you say. When the car was sold/traded in it was most likely sold as seen to the trade. Its very possible that the car was sold/traded in a few weeks before she realised the plate issue and the trade guy didn't know she wanted it back at the time. This doesn't excuse his behaviour now though.

id likely report it stolen to psni, hi the dva with crime ref number and hope they reassign it to you...

There would be no point. The DVA are the owners of the registration and since they can take it back at any point (meaning it's not a theft) they won't be interested in this option.

There was also a mention of a fraud offence. This is a very distant possibility but will be near impossible to prove given the circumstances in this instance.

Once a registration is on the car it becomes part of that car and it gets transferred when ownership does as we all know. Unfortunately this won't have been the first registration lost like this and it won't be the last either.

I truly hope you get a good outcome with the dealer when you deal with him face to face but as someone said earlier in the thread he's holding all the cards really.

Last edited:

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
@Paddy_R thanks for the response. What your saying makes sense. Exactly why I asked opinions before I went over and made a mug of myself.

I'm fully aware he's holding all the cards in this case. Let's face it, it's not going to be good for business and his reputation by choosing to hold it for himself. All we have really is a threat of naming and shaming his dealership. Her dad is happy to take things straight to the top although as far as I was aware, he was it. They wouldn't give him straight answers on the phone today. He didn't call him back dispite being in the office and staff didn't give a straight answer when asked if he'd be there tomorrow.

He's sly, bets he says he's sold the plate on or something to get out of it. Gonna take everything in me to keep a cool head on, no matter what the outcome I'm looking forward to walking out of there with a decision one way or the other to at least know where we stand with the guy.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Btw if he does play ball, you can transfer a plate onto retention in minutes using your phone with an internet connection on DVA website. Open a browser window and have the page at the ready. So don’t take any excuses from him about paperwork or needing forms from post office or such like.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
I have been speaking to Citizens advice and Consumer Line and currently waiting on a call back from Consumer Line. Very helpful so far. It has been suggested I could possibly taken them to small claims court for the value of the plate.

There may not be any direct ownership of the plate, but we may have proof that her dad paid for the plate. So he also drove the car but it was in her mothers name, it may show the plate was his. When I get my call back I'll let you know if this was a valid argument.

Jonny

RMS Regular
I have been speaking to Citizens advice and Consumer Line and currently waiting on a call back from Consumer Line. Very helpful so far. It has been suggested I could possibly taken them to small claims court for the value of the plate.

There may not be any direct ownership of the plate, but we may have proof that her dad paid for the plate. So he also drove the car but it was in her mothers name, it may show the plate was his. When I get my call back I'll let you know if this was a valid argument.

Excellent news. Hope it works out for you fella

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

I cant see that argument standing unfortunately.
Once you do an ownership transfer, there is a warning that you loose all rights to reg once transfer has been agreed, which has been done in your case.
You are just depending on the dealers decency at the minute, as he more than likely knows this and took advantage of the situation from the very start..

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
The issue is I have to prove it as a point of law. I'm searching for any evidence and seeking advice in all sorts of places and putting all the pieces together.

I'll be hopefully able to catch him at some point and appeal to his good nature if he has one. At this stage, essentially I'll be threatening him with a gun with no bullets. At the same time, weather I have proof or not he knows he's done something unethical and there will be nothing stopping me naming and shaming him if he has a negative reaction.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I hate to be the one to say it, this plate simply isn't yours anymore.

I do agree given the circumstances he is being a right p***k though.

I hope he has some decency about him and gives it back however.

Good luck.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
I know mate that very well may be the case and I'm not under any illusion. But at this point all I want is a discussion with the man which is proving very difficult. As I've found out, he has bought over the franchise and is the very top dog so can go no higher.

After being in all week her dad rang and got told he was on holiday until Monday week. I rang and they told me he was off til Wednesday or Thursday. I've another week off booked soon, we'll put the story on hold until then. Raging as I took today off to try and catch him off guard. Knew it was going to happen.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Maybe they know its you now and are just bluffing. Not just swing by and see on the off chance?

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Is the amount he looking for the plate extortionate? If not, just pay it rather than wasting your time trying to reason with the dealer. Even a counter offer. Trying to find some legal reason for him to hand it over for nothing isn't going to happen.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Is the amount he looking for the plate extortionate? If not, just pay it rather than wasting your time trying to reason with the dealer. Even a counter offer. Trying to find some legal reason for him to hand it over for nothing isn't going to happen.

I have reason to believe he may have taken it unlawfully. From the advice I've got I may have a case, not for the plate itself but for the value of the plate. On which I'll be speaking to a solicitor first.

He's asking full price at around £1000. Her dad paid around that when he bought it and they got nothing for it when it was handed in. I was rather hoping to give her dad the full value of the plate and not this clown.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I’d nearly pay it, get the plate, and then start the social media campaign about a crooked dealer who unlawfully obtained a personal plate which was in the family for time before the owner passed away and made you buy it back at full value and wouldn’t do anything for the family as a good will gesture.

Get it in your possession and put him to the sword

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I have reason to believe he may have taken it unlawfully. From the advice I've got I may have a case, not for the plate itself but for the value of the plate. On which I'll be speaking to a solicitor first.

He's asking full price at around £1000. Her dad paid around that when he bought it and they got nothing for it when it was handed in. I was rather hoping to give her dad the full value of the plate and not this clown.

It's going to cost you more than a grand especially when you have no proof he didn't buy it fair and square.

It's like turning up and saying the aftermarket alloys weren't meant to be included and you want them back for free.

Be careful of shaming on Facebook etc, social media libel solicitors are a thing and since you have no proof, it could end up costing ten fortunes.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
Why are people jumping on the name and shame campaign?

As far as i can see, the dealer now owns the plate, there is no proof he obtained it unlawfully, and he has every right to now ask for whatever price he wants for it?

The social media world of naming and shaming everyone for anything, is a load of utter **** way to try get your own way in a situation where you otherwise wouldnt!

While i sympathise with this situation, the woman let the plate go and it is no longer owned by the family.

I hope you get it back Daniel, but there are very few dealers around who would let a 1k plate go for nothing.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Fair comments which I'm taking on board and I appreciate the time you're all taking to reply to this one.

To be quite honest it's her dad that's more eager than me, mainly because if he gets it back, I'll be paying him and not the dealer. .. Honestly the anxiety it's causing at this point I'm perfectly happy to tell him to shove it up his arse. All I wanted was one decent conversation to see where I stand. If he demands a grand he can keep it, if he decides to let it go then happy days.

I'm not jumping the gun, in fact far from it. I've never done so much digging into anything and making sure I have my facts straight so much in my life. What you're all saying holds merit and I'm taking it all on board.

At this point I'm ready to step back and let her dad deal with everything, I was just seeking opinions and advice to see how best to approach it or if I even had a case.

So car citizens advice and Consumer Line have offered some fair advice. As I say, according to them I may have a case for small claims for the value of the plate but not the plate itself, but if it goes to that, I'm stepping out entirely and having nothing to do with it and let her dad sort it.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
How did this ever fair out @TheDaniel?

I was getting too wound up about it, it was genuinely getting to me. So I called it quits for the time being. After doing my best to do things correctly, I didn't want to lose my rag and fall at the last hurdle.

Her dad said he'd sort it, but haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks. If he was to get it back, he'd be benefiting as I'd be giving him the money for the plate, but he hasn't bothered his arse as far as I'm aware.

Seems a bit crap to give up now but it started to feel like I was fighting a losing battle.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.