Regaining a Personal Plate After a Death

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
@TheDaniel it’s worth remembering that if you bid on that plate then the other buyer may have bid again too. The price you would have ended up paying would undoubtedly have been more.

Totally. Plus, what does it matter what it sold for previously? I know people get really hung up on others making a turn at something but that's the way it is. Sometimes you just need to let things like that slide. It'll also likely climb in value anyway.

I'm pretty sure regtransfers trawl the web for plates for sale and don't actually have access to sell them until they receive an enquiry. It might be that they've picked it up at auction and have added their own margin but don't actually own it or have any contact with the current owner.

They had a reg of mine listed for ages until I asked them to remove it.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Final update.

DVLA put another plate to auction for me, RNZ46 which went to 910+VAT and fees. So I backed out at that considering it was almost the same price as the EKZ46 plate on reg transfers. So I got onto them and started negotiating. We reached a price that suited me.

Now the question is, what car do I put it on? My daily driver which I'll hopefully be changing this year or onto my old Silvia where once it's on, it's staying on!

It only took 4 years but I finally got the plate I was after.👍🏻

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Had to read through all that again, I’d hoped it was the original plate in question :worried:

I think to get that particular plate back I'd need to snatch it from that particular dealers cold dead hands.

I told the story to one of my colleagues in work and he said I should have took it to Nolan😂

I'd love to think I'd get that plate back one day, but its probably more valuable than this one and there's no way I'll ever get it without money exchanging hands so I'm not gonna bother.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
So the TL;DR version is basically

Woman trades in car, husband give off that she didn’t take the plate that the he bought her off it first so she tried contacting DVLA after the deal was done, plate stayed with the car…?

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Read through the thread from the beginning:

- the lady traded her car in for a new one
- assumed the registration would go on the new vehicle, but it didn’t
- she tried to get it back, including via DVLA, but no joy
- dealer has kept the reg for himself
- lady died and OP unsuccessfully took up the case to get the plate back
- dealer was a p***k about it

Have to say, based on the second point - if correct - I’d be livid at the ****y dealer who stroked this lady. Especially that he kept it for himself (i.e. motivation to stroke the lady for the reg).

I still think it’s fair to name the dealer, on the basis of the following 100% truthful statement:

“I know someone who once lost their reg when they traded their car in with XXX Motors Ltd”. There’s not a word of a lie in there.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Read through the thread from the beginning:

- the lady traded her car in for a new one
- assumed the registration would go on the new vehicle, but it didn’t
- she tried to get it back, including via DVLA, but no joy
- dealer has kept the reg for himself
- lady died and OP unsuccessfully took up the case to get the plate back
- dealer was a p***k about it

Have to say, based on the second point - if correct - I’d be livid at the ****y dealer who stroked this lady. Especially that he kept it for himself (i.e. motivation to stroke the lady for the reg).

I still think it’s fair to name the dealer, on the basis of the following 100% truthful statement:

“I know someone who once lost their reg when they traded their car in with XXX Motors Ltd”. There’s not a word of a lie in there.

There’s nothing that says the transfer from old car to new was included in the deal, or even mentioned. Not everyone cares for a ‘cherished plate’, or gives them any consideration, so she mightn’t have thought about it when selling/trading the car the plate was on.

Nothing to say the dealer done it to specifically keep the plate for himself either, especially as he has already given a price for which the plate can be bought from him at, and it’s probably more a case of just putting it on to his own vehicle until someone gives him what he wants/what it’s worth. I know a dealer that would chop and change reg fairly often whenever he gets something in that has a nicer plate than what is currently on his own vehicle

OP can speculate and feel as hard done by as he wishes, but without having been there and knowing the specifics of the deal the woman done, it’s just hard luck. The same goes for her husband who paid for the plate initially; it’s no longer anything to do with him once it’s assigned to a vehicle which is no longer in his name.

Naming the dealer for wanting to sell a plate which was acquired through a deal and increase the profits from said deal is utter nonsense.
This ^^^. If the reg was incidental to the dealer it wouldn’t have ended up on his car.

So he has acquired a reg which he likes the look of available for sale, and he’s a ball bag for assigning it to his own vehicle while awaiting it selling? What’s to say it wasn’t assigned just so it gets seen and gains attention to increase the chances of a sale?

1 of the Bells from Crossgar would do that a lot, assigning plates they have in stock to a customers car as a deal sweetener, or run round with the reg assigned to his own daily to ‘get it out there and seen in the hope someone asks to buy it.

Last edited:

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
There’s nothing that says the transfer from old car to new was included in the deal, or even mentioned. Not everyone cares for a ‘cherished plate’, or gives them any consideration, so she mightn’t have thought about it when selling/trading the car the plate was on.

Nothing to say the dealer done it to specifically keep the plate for himself either, especially as he has already given a price for which the plate can be bought from him at, and it’s probably more a case of just putting it on to his own vehicle until someone gives him what he wants/what it’s worth. I know a dealer that would chop and change reg fairly often whenever he gets something in that has a nicer plate than what is currently on his own vehicle

OP can speculate and feel as hard done by as he wishes, but without having been there and knowing the specifics of the deal the woman done, it’s just hard luck. The same goes for her husband who paid for the plate initially; it’s no longer anything to do with him once it’s assigned to a vehicle which is no longer in his name.

Naming the dealer for wanting to sell a plate which was acquired through a deal and increase the profits from said deal is utter nonsense.

So he has acquired a reg which he likes the look of available for sale, and he’s a ball bag for assigning it to his own vehicle while awaiting it selling? What’s to say it wasn’t assigned just so it gets seen and gains attention to increase the chances of a sale?

1 of the Bells from Crossgar would do that a lot, assigning plates they have in stock to a customers car as a deal sweetener, or run round with the reg assigned to his own daily to ‘get it out there and seen in the hope someone asks to buy it.

You are correct.

Lady messed up, the dealer did nothing wrong, all fully above board, 100% kosher…in which case there’s no harm telling us who it was then!

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
I'll surely tell you if I speak to any of you in person but don't feel the need to explain it on a public forum. Especially when some folks think they know it all but haven't a clue.

Some of these people I chose to ignore because I'm sure they're equally as pleasant in real life as they are on the forum & have absolutely zero time for these people.

Tried to end the thread on a positive but there's always one. At least.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.