RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

NotKG

Banned
If a dehumidifier solves my problem I'll be happy, I'll be even happier If this is a once in a blue moon occurrence. Once or twice a year I can live with. Not if it's going to be weekly
ya might need a big one. im emptying a 10lt per day dehumidifier 4lt tank some days twice.
it has a pipe fitting on the back, just havent bothered incase the pipe froze going outside.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
If a dehumidifier solves my problem I'll be happy, I'll be even happier If this is a once in a blue moon occurrence. Once or twice a year I can live with. Not if it's going to be weekly
Try not to panic too much
Today was particularly bad I reckon.

You would only get it as bad a few days in a year.
But mine is nowhere as bad as yours with the dehumidifier running.. although the shed is insulated and pretty air tight (I've been filling gaps with expanding foam)

NotKG

Banned
Try not to panic too much
Today was particularly bad I reckon.

You would only get it as bad a few days in a year.
But mine is nowhere as bad as yours with the dehumidifier running.. although the shed is insulated and pretty air tight (I've been filling gaps with expanding foam)
im fkd them. 10ft x 10ft door open all day.:laughing:.
sawdust just reduced the puddles. then my car goes in there dripping wet too. its better than my last shed. it was 8ft x 10ft and and only the bike and tools were in it, cars up to the door, if it rained you wore a wetsuit and tiestrapped a umbrella to the bonnet.
cant complain at all. :joy::joy:.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Is it single skin (thin sheet) cladding?

Yes

It's because it's not air tight no matter what anyone says...

The slab gets very cold over the last few weeks.. then the warm & damp (was very high humidity today) air hits the cold floor.

The best way to stop it is to stop airflow into the shed. IMO.

Would the bro in laws slab have been put into the shed after it was erected by any chance?

We asked them for profile inserts to be supplied with the shed and they didn't bring them. They said it need she airflow. No both bases had to be poured at least 4 weeks before the shed was erected

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Just spent 1 1/2 hours faffing about putting carcoon back up, just go out to garage there to check on things and everything feels as dry as a bone now:mad:

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Thing I noticed is, even on dry days it’s amazing how much water comes out! Without the dehumidifier I fear to think how wet my garage would be! I have little to no air flow either.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes

We asked them for profile inserts to be supplied with the shed and they didn't bring them. They said it need she airflow. No both bases had to be poured at least 4 weeks before the shed was erected

Single clad building are quite susceptible to condensation sadly, get a good dehumidifier and don’t paint your floor and you’ll be fine, without a dehumidifier your fighting a loosing battle is my guess

NotKG

Banned
We got a contractor in to do it, the one recommended by H2
some sit on top of a slab, mine sits on the frame the slab was poured into. sort of over the edge of it. IMG_20170823_135307580.jpg IMG_20170904_200136888_BURST000_COVER.jpg

NotKG

Banned
mine is dessicant, luck got it on gumtree for £50.
its probably lame for a 8m x12m.
but its assisting some of the issue.
guy in comber rents out industrial ones. on gumtree

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
I recently had the roof changed in my shed, it had been up 15 years but the quality of them has came on alot recently. Washing Bay, (supplier to and beside H2) did it with the full insulation and now the shed is bone dry, best its ever been. A very good job. The fitters really knew what they were at, so I'd highly recommend them to anyone.

neil-c

RMS Regular
Concrete floor is probably still drying out as well which could be a factor. If the concrete has been down 28-56 days then hydration will be slowing but there could be left over moisture from the reaction which isn’t needed. So instead of the moisture in the floor being ‘used up’ or converted during the hardening process it is evaporating. When this evaporates into the air it will raise the moisture content of the shed. As the concrete is not insulated water vapour can condense on it again if it’s cold enough and the relative humidity is high enough. You could test this by taking moisture readings on the slab to see if it’s still drying out.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
I went out and checked the shed about 11.45 last night. It was the same, if not slightly worse. More of the floor seemed damp but might just have been me being paranoid. Went out this morning before work just before 6am and this was it. Couldn't believe it
20190206_070636.jpg
20190206_070633.jpg
20190206_070628.jpg
20190206_070626.jpg

warren

RMS Photographer
As its been said a few times I get condensation on things when its been super cold in the morning then it ends up warmer and wet during the day. Have only seen it a few times this year, yesterday being particularly bad! It makes the chain on my bike rust and some of my tools but unless I want to heat the garage all winter I'm not sure how else to get around it!

thefool1983

RMS Regular
I went out and checked the shed about 11.45 last night. It was the same, if not slightly worse. More of the floor seemed damp but might just have been me being paranoid. Went out this morning before work just before 6am and this was it. Couldn't believe itView attachment 224067 View attachment 224066 View attachment 224065 View attachment 224064
I would suggest not painting the floor....
Will exacerbate the problem.
At least with the exposed concrete the floor can absorb some of the moisture...

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
I'm actually starting to obsess over this now and driving my poor wife round the bend.
I'm actually considering building internal walls to create a cavity if it's even possible?
I hate being fussy but if something isn't 100% right it drives me mental

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
H2 did a shed for my uncle as well before Christmas,they didn’t use any of the foam fillers in the gaps at the ridge or where the walls meet the roof and floor which I though was sloppy,don’t think it’s the issue with your floor but check if your shed has them in