RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
One of my customers were throwing out some pieces of pallet racking due to being H&S write offs. I gathered up the straightest bits I could, the 2 outer orange sections are 100% straight, think they were maybe put in the wrong pile.lol. Took them home, put it together, cut it to height and welded it up. It's a bit deep at 110cm but good length at 410cm long. Also safety certified to 4 ton.lol. I was talking to one of my other customers today and they hopefully have some wood there for the top. Not bad for the grand total of £0. Well, about £2 for a cutting disc
20200223_163930.jpg
20200223_163912.jpg
20200223_163901.jpg

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Great job - that racking is hard to pick up in small quantities...

The blue uprights I got before xmas, they were both bent about 2 meters up, looked like the had been damaged when lying flat on the ground, and also the brackets at the bottom where they bolt to the floor had been bent slightly, the orange cross sections I got at the start of the week. The middle one was the only one damaged and I straightened it with the digger. I had been keeping an eye out for a long time, trying to get a bit here and there but no on throws it out

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
One of my customers were throwing out some pieces of pallet racking due to being H&S write offs. I gathered up the straightest bits I could, the 2 outer orange sections are 100% straight, think they were maybe put in the wrong pile.lol. Took them home, put it together, cut it to height and welded it up. It's a bit deep at 110cm but good length at 410cm long. Also safety certified to 4 ton.lol. I was talking to one of my other customers today and they hopefully have some wood there for the top. Not bad for the grand total of £0. Well, about £2 for a cutting discView attachment 266831View attachment 266832View attachment 266833
Been thinking about building a bench and some shelving but the price of the materials are crazy. I built a unit for a mate and materials alone were about 130 quid to build a 3x1½ frame and ¾" ply

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
The shelving at the back I got from a mate, his boss ordered enough to kit out their whole warehouse thinking it was pallet racking.lol. so he didn't notice a few bits going missing. Not sure what wood to use for the top. The customer I was talking to has 2 sections of 18mm heavy duty MDF. I was thinking of using that and putting 2 or 3mm steel plate over it? That's if the cant get me marine ply to do the job

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Wouldn't be too worried about marine ply std stuff should be grand. The extra cost wouldn't be justified but I wouldn't bother with mdf

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
Currently I've 2x 5ft twin tube fluorescent lights in my garage...can anyone recommend some led replacements? I'm getting overwhelmed by choice and would like something decent quality!

NoGrip

RMS Regular
Drives
the wife mad
The most reliable I have found for on-off apps like a garage are Osram’s Ledvance. A tad under £23 for a 50 watter from lamp shop online

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Been thinking about building a bench and some shelving but the price of the materials are crazy. I built a unit for a mate and materials alone were about 130 quid to build a 3x1½ frame and ¾" ply
I got some 12" wide x 1.75" old flooring boards off my father in law when he still worked for a demolition outfit. At the time, it was the cheapest way of building a bench, think I took 5lb of nails out of them. Made a frame out of angle iron bolted to the wall to support the boards and some old thick galvanised pipe. Has done the job for 30 years now.
113-1351_IMG.JPG

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Anyone clued up on concrete prices and labour at the minute. I’ve a price for a 9x7m base. 5inch depth. Levelled out and Power float to finish and a few pipes in for electric.

neil-c

RMS Regular
£75+VAT/m3 so that's £600+VAT for the concrete. Although I've had to pay £140/m3 for a small 2m3 load a few weeks ago. And laying would be £10/m2 so £630 (maybe plus VAT if they are VAT registered). If you managed to get two guys on a day rate best your going to manage is £300 for the labour and then add on the cost of hire for a power float at £100.

Reactions: CR

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Currently I've 2x 5ft twin tube fluorescent lights in my garage...can anyone recommend some led replacements? I'm getting overwhelmed by choice and would like something decent quality!
I got these in 6ft/1800mm recently. Seem like a good job but I don't know long term.
They were a straight swap in my fittings but it depends on what gear your fittings have. Either way, still quite easy to swap.
I bought them in store and they were only about £16, not the price shown here.
30W T8 6ft (1800mm) LED Non Dimmable Glass Tube 4000K

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Anyone clued up on concrete prices and labour at the minute. I’ve a price for a 9x7m base. 5inch depth. Levelled out and Power float to finish and a few pipes in for electric.
I'd say between 1000 - 1150 going by what I paid.
Try this man: Sean Bradley Mobile 07795 631099

Reactions: CR

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Really need to get these doors fitted, but the weathers be that ***** lately it’s been impossible to get a suitable time.

what type and size of fixings would yous recommend to boot the frames to the walls? Going into the ends of 6 inch block

Yeah the weather has really slowed progress on mine as the block is being done by a friend at the weekends

They are back today tho working on it tho :grinning:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Rawlbolts if you can get them far enough away from the edges of the blocks as they can split them quite easily. Whatever you use, use plenty as slamming the door will loosen them easier if there are less fixings.

neil-c

RMS Regular
Really need to get these doors fitted, but the weathers be that ***** lately it’s been impossible to get a suitable time.

what type and size of fixings would yous recommend to boot the frames to the walls? Going into the ends of 6 inch block

Chemical anchor fixings are much stronger than mechanical fixings - hilti do a good range which are rated for cracked or uncracked concrete with no need to blow out drilling dust - Hilti HIT HY with HIT V rods and bolts.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Rawlbolts if you can get them far enough away from the edges of the blocks as they can split them quite easily. Whatever you use, use plenty as slamming the door will loosen them easier if there are less fixings.
Hardware stores are pretty much giving these away from old stock for anyone with the patience to use them. Most prefer thunder/lightning bolts instead.
Or the chemical anchors as neil-c says.