RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Cro

RMS Regular
Well we're moved in at last (two weeks ago actually). Need to sheet off the bits that aren't already sheeted with ply and find a cost effective means of putting some kind of ceiling in.

Any tips for painting plywood?View attachment 320652View attachment 320653
Plasterboard not be a cheaper alternative? Thought about ply recently and works out to be expensive enough in comparison

neil-c

RMS Regular
Yea plasterboard, dry line and paint will be the cheapest way to do it. Easy enough to do yourself but you really need 2 people so that one can hold the boards in place. Ceiling could be done easily with 3 people- 2 people with brushes to hold the boards up and one person screwing but could be done with 2.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Well the reason I'd thought of plywood was it would be stronger for screwing things into it, but yeah for the ceiling perhaps. Never bought the stuff before

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
If anyone ever offers you a £600 shed for £200 but it's already in bits.......... Just say no.

Last screw after 2 days of swearing

(Instructions only downloaded at start of day 2, thankfully all the guesses in day one and the preceding work building a base were within 1cm the right way)

IMG-20210424-WA0017.jpeg
IMG-20210424-WA0003.jpeg

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Masonry paint works well on outdoor furniture and fences, might suit on the ply.
Was told to use masonry paint on fences too actually.

So long as you yet s defent primer on it will be easy painted after that. Non water based probably better unless you don't mind the grain lifting a bit.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Anyone had any contact lately with Shane @ Clonoe? Tried ringing him last Friday, left a voicemail this morning, no sign of him lately.

Rippy

RMS Regular
Drives
Aerodeck vti
Anyone had any contact lately with Shane @ Clonoe? Tried ringing him last Friday, left a voicemail this morning, no sign of him lately.
Very hard guy to get in contact with. Only downfall. He is super busy it seems

Reactions: dub

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Very hard guy to get in contact with. Only downfall. He is super busy it seems

100%

I've normally got in touch with him after a few hours, hence my worry. I was out with him about a month, agreed a price and he hasn't sent me through bank details for a deposit. The fella is snowed under!

Cro

RMS Regular
100%

I've normally got in touch with him after a few hours, hence my worry. I was out with him about a month, agreed a price and he hasn't sent me through bank details for a deposit. The fella is snowed under!
Being honest I’ll be surprised if he’s taking anything else on. I paid about a month ago and he had no build slots left for the foreseeable

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Being honest I’ll be surprised if he’s taking anything else on. I paid about a month ago and he had no build slots left for the foreseeable

Hopefully he gets back to me. We'd agreed a price etc he didn't want to take a deposit off me just yet. Time will tell :neutral:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
He hasn't had a deposit off me yet either, but I have the signed docket so the price shouldn't change.

I'm still waiting on the concrete guy to come around to do the base. Seems the good weather has meant site work has been going ahead at a rate of knots and taking priority.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I'm looking for a supplier of workshop benches and units, Machine mart are great but don't want to deliver to N.Ireland due to Brexit ..................................................suprise suprise! Who sells this type of thing here?

Or else I'm thinking a good bench would do with lockers.

I need to get racking too but thats easy, B&Q do plastic racking and there are lots of metal racking suppliers here.

Last edited:

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
I'm looking for a supplier of workshop benches and units, Machine mart are great but don't want to deliver to N.Ireland suprise suprise! Who sells this type of thing here?

I need to get racking too but thats easy, B&Q do plastic racking and there are lots of metal racking suppliers here.

I think @Woodcutter can get the Sealey range in Mike

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
I'm looking for a supplier of workshop benches and units, Machine mart are great but don't want to deliver to N.Ireland due to Brexit ..................................................suprise suprise! Who sells this type of thing here?

I bought sealyley apms ones off @lightning and can't recommend them enough. I didn't use their work top as I wanted my bench higher as I'm a lanky kinda fella.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I’m looking for a supplier of 200mm by 200mm by 3m wooden posts. Seems to be worse than rocking horse poo to get hold of. Anyone got any suggestions?